300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Turbo Timer and Boost Controler

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Turbo Timer and Boost Controler

I have a Greddy Profec B and a Greddy full auto timer and im trying to figure out exatly where the turbo timer gets hooked up because im not looking forward to having to remove my dash.....done that once dont want to do it again. I'm geussing it has to be on the Ignition somewhere but the plug im geussing is behind the Gauge pod........Im at tech school and have to leave now but any help would be great.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:57 AM
confuzed member

Pull the panel underneath the steering wheel off and the plug should be visible from there. It's not a hard job. You'll also need a power source.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:33 PM

Itstalling the turbo timer is kinda involved. You will need to remove the passenger side kick panel. The steering column plastic and the knee panel just below that. And you will need to remove the center console. The center console has to be removed so you can wire up the kill switch in the event someone tries to steal your car while it is idling. You will need to remove the passenger side kick panel to gain access to the CPU to wire up the vehicle speed sensor wire so that you can use the many features that the timer has. I just used those little blue wire jumpers that you shut together and pinches the wires together. That way i wasnt having to cut any wires. I kow it sounds cheap..usually i prefer soldiering...but it works. You also need to find somewhere to mount the timer. I removed my old clock and installed it there.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 AM

I have the harness im just trying to figure out where its supposed to plug in. I looked up underneath my Steering column but none of the plugs that are visible are large enough to connect there.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:54 AM

When you go uder the dash you will see a silver panel running towards the firewall. It is held on with ONE 10mm bolt. IT is on the steering column. Remove that bolt and that panel should be free. ONce freed there should be a large white plastice harness connector. That is where te Greddy and HKS turbo timer wiring harness plug in. Y

BTW..when you say wiring harness...you meann the extra one that is like thirty bucks right? BC the Turbo timer doesnt come witht he harness that makes it just plug and play. Without it you will be cutting and soldiering wires for a while.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM

Dam 30 bucks for the harness i found it way cheaper.

http://www.optionimports.com/turbotimer.html
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 AM

Dude the turbo timer was a joke to install if you have the harness. I put my greddy turbo timer where the stock clock goes... it looks factory.. it really looks good. i had to take a dremel to the back frame to make it sit flush with the center console but it looks amazing. Make sure you use the harness, and make sure you plug the purple wire i think it is can't remember into the speed control wire coming from your ECU that way you can use that timer and all of it functions. The digital speed reading is pretty acurate, more accurate than the one on your dash. Also you have to splice into your E-Brake cable that way when the key is out and someone breaks in while its running ... as soon as they drop the brake it shuts off.

That greddy profec B. I was looking at that.. Is it a good boost controller?????
Old 01-09-2006, 10:24 AM

accuract depends on which version you get. I was sent the metric unit version. Still works the same though. How could it be MORE accurate? The only difference is that you are reading it digitally. THe speeds will be the same on both dash and turbo timer screen.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:22 AM

Yeah i have the extra 30 dollar HKS harness. Thanks for all the information guys ill have to go try and figure it out later.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
accuract depends on which version you get. I was sent the metric unit version. Still works the same though. How could it be MORE accurate? The only difference is that you are reading it digitally. THe speeds will be the same on both dash and turbo timer screen.
Are you kidding?? the fact that your comparing an analog guage in your dash to a digital one.... the digiral one will be more accurate beacuse it shows your exact speed where the one on the guage you have to guestamate ur speed. Also there has been times where my speedo show im doing 110 and im doing 106 or something like that.. i dunno i really like the turbo timer..

HOW IS THAT GREDDY BOOST CONTROLLER??
Old 01-10-2006, 11:11 AM

Im sorry i cant give any feedback on the boost controller i havent had a chance to try it out. My Z hasnt run in over a year. Im in the middle of a NA-TT swap. Im just trying to get the last parts done.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ
Are you kidding?? the fact that your comparing an analog guage in your dash to a digital one.... the digiral one will be more accurate beacuse it shows your exact speed where the one on the guage you have to guestamate ur speed. Also there has been times where my speedo show im doing 110 and im doing 106 or something like that.. i dunno i really like the turbo timer..

HOW IS THAT GREDDY BOOST CONTROLLER??

Yeah I realised after re reading my post i didnt make my point as clear as i ment it to be. I ment that they should be identical in reading. But as for reference..OH YEAH the turbo timer is a hell of a lot easier to read exact speed. I agree with you on that.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Ya man. that greddy turbo timer was one of the best things i bought for the car. It keeps the car healthy and reliable. And if you set it up properly i can be a handy tool
Old 01-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Ehh. I just let the car idle for 5-10 minutes. I will probably get a timer, but I don't really have much use for it. I only drive my TT an average of 50-100 moles a week. When I do drive it, I drive it hard. But, I know to let it idle and cool for the turbos sake. My TT isn't a grocery picker-upper. It is a fun romper. So, I guess if it was a daily driver, a timer may be an option. But, what is 5 min. out of your time to sit in it while it idles. You get to chill in it and actually see how many heads it turns instead of flying by said heads at 100+ MPH.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:37 PM

i put on about 7km a year, but still worth the 100 dollars no matter what