300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

86 z31 wiring and code help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Question 86 z31 wiring and code help

car info
86 z31 non-turbo manual transmission digital dash, the car has been sittng for about 2-3 yrs before we got it.

when we picked up the car it was running okay, nothing out of the ordinary ( I wasn't pushing it or anything , my main concern was getting it home)

what going on at this point
the car turns over, but either does not start or will start after many tries.
I located a repair manual (Haynes) and found there are codes to be retrieved and how to read them. when I turned on the car it gave me the two codes, 31 and 23 (not 24). from there I tried to start it. and got the code for the air flow meter (code 12-[ MAP sensor the modern name?]) when I pulled out the the sensor to inspect it I found one of the screens ripped to shreds. I also found some cut wires, I don't like cut wires when I don't know what they're for.

this is near the MAP

passenger side right behind the head light this has power to it

theres a vacuum hose that doesn't appear to have anything to attach to here

and couple of things that I want to know if they look "normal" it been awhile since I did any real mechanic work so take it easy on me I'm trying to get back in the groove.

I believe this is the EGR, is that screen normally open?

also all the pictures in the books show the coil over close to the drivers headlight, it looks like its in it home spot right by the distributer. theres are also a couple of connectors that appear to have nothing to plug into. there is one the right in this pic.

and this one looks just like the one for the O2 sensor but the with different wire colors

speaking of wire colors are there better wiring diagrams than the ones in the Haynes manual available?

so if some one can point me in the right direction that would be really cool. I don't get much time to work on it and want to make the most of my time. and thinks for yours.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:51 PM

What's the smurf tube for

what's in that blue smurf tube?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Do you know just how many Smurfs we had to skin to get that !? lol

its just there since what was there crumbled like paper when we went looking for the other things that needed to be connected. It was cheap fix till everything gets worked out then I'll worry about cleaning it up, it's just going to get messed up anyway while work is being done.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:23 PM

boy this place is dead
Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Distinquished Guest

Cool Oh My!!!

Originally Posted by cinpro
boy this place is dead
R.I.P.

Looks as though that z31 is dead, too. Somebody has been clipping a few wires, for sure.

Sounds like you're on the right path (Haynes manual and running the codes).

The MAF is probably fried. Go get one from the "Pick-n-Pull".

The screen on the EGR is suppose to be open.

Those two connectors probably connect to heat sensors. There's one on either side of the lower intake. One works the dash gauge, the other feeds data to the ECU. If the sensors are still there, the plugs will match.

Everything else is a crap shoot. Good luck.