300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

1987 Z31 NA - performance and recommended replacement items?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 AM

1987 Z31 NA - performance and recommended replacement items?

Hi everyone,

New here. I hope I'm not asking anything that's been specifically addressed in other posts. I'm looking at purchasing a nice condition '87 300ZX naturally aspirated. 101k miles, excellent shape overall. I do think it could use a solid tuneup. I'm well aware there isn't much low-hanging fruit when it comes to increasing power output from the NA engine. Rather than trying to simply boost HP, I'm looking for holistic recommendations in general that will make the car a little faster, more responsive, better to drive. Within a budget of approximately $1500-2500. So I have three questions:

The car is 30 years old with almost all original components. It runs reasonably well, however it blows a little bit of blue smoke on startup and the idle floats up and down a bit. Engine feels like it's not pulling as hard as it could (totally subjective here, maybe it's just slow!). Transmission and clutch feel good.

1. I would firstly take the car in for a thorough tuneup. Are there any typical component replacements you'd recommend on a car of this mileage, simply as a "best practice"? Fuel pump, injectors, etc?
2. I'm interested in getting a little boost in power and response, if possible. It seems like an intake upgrade is the least expensive, most effective route in this case. Is that correct? I was researching camshaft upgrades, but the time and expense of this doesn't seem to translate into a ton of added power. But if it vastly improved engine response in addition to a modest HP bump, then it could maybe be worthwhile?
3. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get aftermarket rear fender flares that look like the ones on the special edition turbo model? (like this: http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/images/84%20AE/rear.png) I think they look wild and would like to start with that as a body modification.

thank you kindly!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 PM

I have the same issue here lmao.

I have a 1985 NA z31 and I just replaced the alternator with the 90 amp alt from a Maxima, instead of the 70 amp alternator. Thankfully, the new alternator fixed all of my electrical issues lol.

My next plans are to rebuild the transmission next month, install the Ford Taurus electric fan (probably buy a new radiator too), and replace literally every single bushing the car has; all of my bushings are destroyed . I am going to be buying another fuel pump and replacing it, some dank silicone piping, remove the A/C and cruise control because it doesn't work anyway. On top of the fuel pump, I plan on replacing most of the fuel system as well.

I also would like advice if anybody has some, I just bought brand new spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, and other basic items. What would be the best items to start replacing when buying an older car? I am far from an experienced mechanic and I've never had the opportunity to learn from somebody before, but I do have some basic knowledge on where things are and what they do. I personally don't plan on heavily modifying my VG30E.