300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Looking to Do a AWD 300zx any info on it and what kinda donars are recommended

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:50 PM

Looking to Do a AWD 300zx any info on it and what kinda donars are recommended

Well im just finishing up my tt swap into my Z32. And have been thinking bout doing something different from alot of folks. IM looking into making my Z32 to a all wheel drive car rather just RWD. So wat im asking for input, back feed and if you heard of this being done before i would like some guidience to where i can read up on this. So hit me back and all
Old 01-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Holy crap, that is a new one to me. I wouldn't even know where to start, but good luck. You will have to some serious modifications to do this, but if you have the time, money and another car to drive (and really want to do it) then go ahead. It is better that somebody else try it so that I can reap the benifits of somebody elses hard labor.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:58 PM

I would guess your first start would be to look VERY CLOSELY at the AWD setup on the Skylines. Since they come equipped with the transfer case seperate from the transmission like a truck I would assume that if you took the time to build an adapter plate you could bolt the tranny and transfer case to the Z block. It would take ALOT of research, cussing, trail and error to do it. But i am sure it would be possible..I mean please. There at NOPI i saw a Z32 with a 4.5L V8 with twin turbos on it. Anything is possible..it just depends on how much time you are willing to spend. And of course how deep your pockets go.

Good luck..I would like to see it done.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:20 PM

i looked into it and well since im not as rich or have that much time to spare i decided not to do it after all, and also i had a friend looking into the whole deal and asked his tech that works at the shop if it would be worth it on price and horse power, he said withs worth doing cuz of the rareness but on hp it would take to much to get sum real good numbers. So im xed that idea for right now till i can do alot more home work on it
Old 01-15-2006, 08:59 PM

Your wasting your time dont even bother "not worth it"..
Old 01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'm glad you decided not to do it...

what kinds of cars are AWD? Subaru's... Shitsubishi 3000GT's, Evo's, and Eclipses... Nissan Skylines... rally cars, SUV's, and the nicest of AWD cars being a couple top end Porsches and Lamborghini's...

what kinds of cars are RWD? The VAST majority of Ferrari's, most Porsches, the McLaren F1, 300ZX's, RX7's, Supra's, NSX's.... there a reason the best of the best choose RWD, it's a more efficient way of making power. Not to mention, it's a hell of a lot lighter (keep in mind, the Lamborghini Diablo weighs 3,800+lbs).

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 01-15-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Über User

z lover to the words right outta my mouth...but also think aobut it, that chassis and frame are not setup for all wheel drive in its design and structural integrity. its probably doable with skyline parts....but wheres the sense.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:36 AM

Cheaper to buy a Skyline GT-R and have it converted to US standards.

That much I can help you with! Otherwise...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:04 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
what kinds of cars are RWD? The VAST majority of Ferrari's, most Porsches, the McLaren F1, 300ZX's, RX7's, Supra's, NSX's.... there a reason the best of the best choose RWD, it's a more efficient way of making power. Not to mention, it's a hell of a lot lighter (keep in mind, the Lamborghini Diablo weighs 3,800+lbs).
I think it was you that also posted: There is a reason F1 cars... Daytona cars... Drag cars etc are RWD. I like that!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:50 AM
F5 Hero

The obvious way to make a AWD skyline would be to just use the RB engine and tranny and basically everything from the skyline into the Z with modifications to make it fit.

On another note, JapanZ, whats the average price for a GT-R 32 (yes I think those look the best actually) to US and US standards. Also, do you guys disassemble cars and ship them over to avoid having to do that claiming it's a "non working non repairable car"? I would have no problem reassembling a skyline and titling it as a kit car.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 PM

Well there are a few things to think about besides the heavy modification process you will go through, the countless hours. A Skyline GT-R R32, 33 or 34 will run you some serious money no matter what.Then don't forget teh fun of having the car shipped and documented so no one rips off parts in shipment.

A R32 will cost an easy 10k for a decent low milage car

A R33 will run you 20k

A R34 will run you between 40 and 80k. A V-spec is in the upper range

You do get what you pay for. Then you get the pleasure of doing something insane. Disassembly. In order to do this properly you need a full shop access, patience and a bit of money to pay for the space and mechanics time. You must use a licenced shop in the US to reassemble the car, depending which port you bring it in and the customs officials good/bad mood. You cannot get the car, put it back together yourself and go to the DMV and get a VIN. Near impossible. Need official people to do the job. So you do the math on the AWD conversion to a Skyline base ( which would be your best bet ).

Or have the pleasure of pay and drive here. All US funds

Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM
F5 Hero

You work for motorex? I thought they went out of business? Why do you need a shop to do the work? First of all, I could easily disassemble and reassemble a whole car in my garage, I don't need a shop for that. And you don't need official people to do a job for a kit car, thats the whole point... it's a kit car, do it yourself..... oh well... I'll just buy one when I'm in japan on station....
Old 02-09-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
You work for motorex? I thought they went out of business? Why do you need a shop to do the work? First of all, I could easily disassemble and reassemble a whole car in my garage, I don't need a shop for that. And you don't need official people to do a job for a kit car, thats the whole point... it's a kit car, do it yourself..... oh well... I'll just buy one when I'm in japan on station....

You're goin to japan? so am I this summer... gonna be there until mid 2009
Old 02-09-2006, 11:07 PM

Gotta import to Canada and then pass it through to the US. You can get an R32 for much cheaper that those prices, an R33 will follow those same savings. Yes, it will still be pricey for customs and mods. But, it will be cheaper than importing straight to the US (i.e. Oakland, CA). The R34, on the other hand. It will be expensive no matter what. It is a beast and the new Skyline. Same power-plant, but still a beast. I'll setttle for my baby-Skyline as they know it in Japan. The wonderful, beautiful Z. The original Nissan/Datsun sports car.

Last edited by jaffi; 02-09-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:37 AM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
You're goin to japan? so am I this summer... gonna be there until mid 2009
I won't be going anytime soon. I'm hoping to get stationed there in Okinowa (SP??))) OOORAH!

Originally Posted by jaffi
You can get an R32 for much cheaper that those prices,
I was thinking that as well.... I'm not positive, but I think if your in the military and you buy a car over see's if you own it for a certain amount of time (like 1 year or something) you can bring it back, i'm not sure, Aphrodite expand some light on it (aren't u in the military?). If I can't, then I'm just going to disassemble the car, and ship it over in 3 boxes, interior in one box, engine and other stuff in another, and the chassis in another. They view it as a non repairable car and you don't have to worry about it. then u just put it to gether as a kit car and go.... friend of mine actually titled his as a 240... person must of been a moron that he was dealing with at the DMV or w/e.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
I won't be going anytime soon. I'm hoping to get stationed there in Okinowa (SP??))) OOORAH!

I was thinking that as well.... I'm not positive, but I think if your in the military and you buy a car over see's if you own it for a certain amount of time (like 1 year or something) you can bring it back, i'm not sure, Aphrodite expand some light on it (aren't u in the military?). If I can't, then I'm just going to disassemble the car, and ship it over in 3 boxes, interior in one box, engine and other stuff in another, and the chassis in another. They view it as a non repairable car and you don't have to worry about it. then u just put it to gether as a kit car and go.... friend of mine actually titled his as a 240... person must of been a moron that he was dealing with at the DMV or w/e.
I have heard that. I guy I knew that was stationed in Yokosuka had his Skyline shipped back. Unfortunately, he isn't on my ship anymore so I can't ask him the particulars. He bought his new when he was in Japan and had it for 2 years, then he PCSed to San Diego. The Navy paid for shipping and everything. So, all he had to do was pay for the standards conversion and customs. Pretty sweet deal in my opinion. By your "oorah" I can tell you're a Marine (as well as the Okinawa orders). I believe that you would only spend 3 years there IAW Navy overseas duty instruction. So, get yourself a new R34 (if you're are E5 or above, you won't have anything else to spend your money on in OK, so you'd be able to swing it). Then, have the Navy (because no matter what, all your checks come from the Navy, though Marines like to think otherwise ) ship it stateside when you PCS or seperate. I hope you get those orders, it would be quite a treat. I could've gone to Japan, but forward deployed and spending 90% of the year at sea just ain't my cup of tea.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by jaffi
So, get yourself a new R34 (if you're are E5 or above,
I like the R32's the best. (I know, i'm a weirdo). And I'll be in the O catagory... I'm a pilot... I don't know if they station Pilots at okinawa though. I havn't gotten any details really yet.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 AM

umm

Awd= downgrade. The z is for the highway..Awd = bye bye whooping *** from a roll. Hello..Massive drivetrain loss. If you want a better launch, get slicks. However, if you're doing it try something diffrent and not for performance, then props to you. I always thought it'd be cool to have an awd 280zx.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:29 AM

Awd = downgrade?

I would like to see that explained within the realm of this thread. i.e. Skyline or similar. If you mean to say the Syline is a downgrade for being AWD then I wonder why it is one of the most desired cars for any enthusiast? Please clear that up before I buy one.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 AM

Hello powerloss throught drivetrain..maybe.
Good by understeer...maybe
OH **** factor..DEFINITLY
Traction...OMG!

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 02-13-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:05 PM

AWD is fun

Ok, i admit, i love driving my Z on the highway, on back roads and faster than the speed limit. I had the pleasure of driving a friends WRX last year. I don't care what you think about AWD as far as powerloss and extra weight it hooks up fast, very little wheel spin when you launch it. Granted the WRX is stubby and aerodynamics are more like a truck than a car but 0-100 is pretty quick in a car that only has 230 horse and weighs so much.
If anyone gets the chance to get stationed overseas in Japan that would be a helluva thing to get a R34. Is it just me or does the newest Skyline and the newest G-35 look a lot alike? I would bet there is going to be a AWD version of that car in the near future, if there isn't already.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Goofyz
Is it just me or does the newest Skyline and the newest G-35 look a lot alike? I would bet there is going to be a AWD version of that car in the near future, if there isn't already.
They look a lot alike cause they are the same car, and yes on the AWD.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:22 PM

in april of 2006 i will be getting a small settlment im looking for a r-33 vspecII ill spend up to 40,000 dollars but it has to be already americanized !!! no excpetions !!! any places?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 PM

ok..

Awd = downgrade?

I would like to see that explained within the realm of this thread.

What are the advantages of AWD? Traction. An alternitive = slicks.

What is the Z made to do? Rule the highway. What would AWD do to the top end? Well, you get the idea. Go run an evo in your TT...You'll see what I mean. YES, a STOCK TT will pull a lightly modded Evo on the highway.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:15 PM

Yeah, when im stationed in japan im planning to basically become an importer of JDM parts (there is a military customs loop for shipping anything smaller then a whole engine). I have been thinking about buying a car for the sole purpose of getting it into the states, but as I am planning on spending 20k+ on my z as soon as I get back, not sure if i'll end up bringing a car back with me.

Quick Reply: Looking to Do a AWD 300zx any info on it and what kinda donars are recommended