300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:52 AM

Where to start

I currently own a 85 300zx NA, It is my daily driver. I am looking to fix it up a bit and eventually turn it into a project car to restore. I just am not really sure where to start. I also would like to turn this into a learning experience when it comes to working on a car. I would like to do a engine rebuild, Gaskets,seals etc along with a tune up. The car does have a valve cover leak. I am really just looking for some guidance. someone to point me in the right direction of some easy things I can do. Any suggestions ?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 AM

Adding pics would be a huge help for anyone on this form to direct you in the right direction!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:17 PM

Welcome to ZDriver!

Pics are a great idea. They let us know what you are looking at and thinking about. To post photos, sign in, click Post Reply, write your reply, click on the little paper clip to the right of the smiley face just above the text box, locate (browse) your photos, click on them, they list, click Upload, click Close This Window, click Submit. Easy enough?

Also DL your freebie factory service manual (and other cool docs) at XenonS130 - S130 Reference They should help you in getting around your project details and asking for ideas.

You can also do everyone a favor. Sign in, go to User CP menu (upper left), click Edit Signature and add your Z model, year, shifter, turbo or NA, etc. Saves you having to add it to every post. (Guys here go crazy if you don't lock your Q to your specific Z every time you post...They just ignore questions without enough info) Then click Edit Avatar and add a little Z pic under your nick. Cool. You are solid here.

Guys here will have some good input for you once they know more about your Z and its current issues - and most important - where you want to take it and what you want it to do when you are finished.

Congrats on a great project - and welcome again

Last edited by zxguy1986; 12-23-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Get the manuals

Yeah get the manuals, they're very useful.

Sounds like the easier thing would be to start with a tune-up and do a full maintenance checkup. Make a list of things you want to do or need to do, then look them up in this forum or in the manuals to see how difficult they are to do and tackle whatever sounds like you think you could handle!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Sounds like a great project with the right spirit and attitude running it. Make sure you ask your questions here. We are all happy to help where we can. Lots of Z pros here. SOme of them don't know how good they really are at it.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Thanks everyone, here are a few pics of the body. I will get a few pictures of the engine bay here soon.
Attached Thumbnails Where to start-front.jpg   Where to start-rear-side.jpg   Where to start-driver-side.jpg   Where to start-front-side.jpg   Where to start-rear.jpg  

Old 01-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Also dont know if anyone has any additional info on the radio. Mine unit was not working, as in it wouldn't even power on. I pulled it out last night and was able to get the unit to power on. however I am getting no sound from it, as in nothing at all. No static or anything. I am assuming that I have an antenna issue as the radio will not lock on to a radio station. I read online that if your not getting any sound that the head unit is bad. As much as I would like to keep the old head unit, I am planning on replacing it with something that works. Just want to know if anyone has a few other ideas to try before I put a new one in. Also I pulled the passenger seat out and found that something had spilled on the amp (pics included). Bitchin Betty does work though.
Attached Thumbnails Where to start-amp-car.jpg   Where to start-amp-top.jpg   Where to start-amp.jpg   Where to start-pass-seat-out.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 03:48 PM

May as well start from scratch with your audio. Easier. New head unit (OEM was nothing special anyway - but good for its time) Get 50W per channel to 4 speakers. Adding add'l speakers? Add add'l power amp, powered direct from the battery. Under the seat is OK for smaller amps but in the back under that lift bar behind your seat is better. A new head unit will give you better FM, CD play and iPod-ready connections. Better all around.

If your OEM connectors behind the head unit are still there, Crutchfield will include an OEM harness connector for whatever head unit you order. Makes life a lot easier - but you'll still some splicing to do. Crutchfield has loads of units to choose from and fast service. Good people on the phone, too.

Report back with your decisions and your results! Thanks

Last edited by zxguy1986; 01-04-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Will do for sure. As of right now I just plan on using the four speakers that are in there already. However that could change. I will take lots of pictures and keep posting what I do. Thanks for the info