300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Need help - UT - Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 10:15 AM

Question Need help - UT - Dashboard

My digital dash went out on my 1984 2+2 NA. The outline of things still lights up and my dimmer works to dim those lights, but all data such as RPM, Gas, MPH, Temp etc are all gone. It went out a while ago and a day later came back on for 10 min and now it is out for good. I pulled the Power Supply Unit and re-soldered the connections, but that did not help. I also tried wiggling the connection and nothing.

If anyone happens to be in UT with a similar car and would not mind helping me test it with a working Power Supply Unit so I can verify if that is shot would be fantastic. Switching to analog is a bit daunting especially since I don't know a ton about cars, but can follow directions

I do recall a few years back when going through puddles of water, it seemed to cause issues with the the cars electronics. I avoid puddles now. Anyway, if there is anything else I can test such as a fuse or anything else.

My MPG and compass are also out. The surroundings of it still light up, just no data on them. Those also used to work and went out before my dash. I did see a bulb laying in the back of the dash so maybe that just fell down and that was used to light them up?

Lastly, while I am thinking about it, there was a wire I found behind my coin tray / ash tray that had a connector with several pins in it. Unsure if this goes to the cig lighter or not.... never used it before so I am not sure if it even works. Any help / advise is welcome.

Edit: added pics. The bulb might be for my temp display that is laying in my dash...
Attached Thumbnails Need help - UT - Dashboard-imag0338.jpg   Need help - UT - Dashboard-imag0341.jpg   Need help - UT - Dashboard-imag0342.jpg   Need help - UT - Dashboard-imag0344.jpg   Need help - UT - Dashboard-imag0348.jpg  

Last edited by Deak Garmes; 11-17-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:48 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

I thought for sure you were the one who just bought the 84 turbo from the FB group Drift Utah Classifieds... but that one had red interior.

I believe somewhere we have a thread about someone repairing the power supply box to the dash. Where in Utah are you? I'm in Lehi.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

I thought for sure you were the one who just bought the 84 turbo from the FB group Drift Utah Classifieds... but that one had red interior.

I believe somewhere we have a thread about someone repairing the power supply box to the dash. Where in Utah are you? I'm in Lehi.

My car died and had it on KSL for a while, but then got sick of all the scammers and had my brother help fix it. Turned out to be the distributor and alternator. I am in American Fork.

I read all the repair guides and tried the re-soldering which did not work. I have soldered quite a bit of stuff, so if that was the problem, it should have fixed it.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:47 AM

i think i have seen someone mention the fuse that is for the rear wiper or something being the same fuse, but if the fuse was out I would think you would get no lights at all on the dash.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by lazarus2297
i think i have seen someone mention the fuse that is for the rear wiper or something being the same fuse, but if the fuse was out I would think you would get no lights at all on the dash.
I read that as well. My rear wiper works fine.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:44 PM

I had to buy a old\new unit..there's a guy on Ebay that sells them refurbed..good guy to work with. a real PITA to change out though..but with determination all is possible.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Donn144
I had to buy a old\new unit..there's a guy on Ebay that sells them refurbed..good guy to work with. a real PITA to change out though..but with determination all is possible.
How did you know it was dead and not the power supply? Did yours have the same symptoms as mine where the outline still lights up and the other lights at the top "Sensor, Seat Belt, etc"?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:49 PM

Sorry, I do not get emails from this site so I only got back to you now having checked.

My dash was winking in and out for a while. Then it finally went dark like yours. At first the tach was going all crazy...then if memory serves me, it went dead. I tried soldering the P\S but that did not work so I went for the dash. You'll get to know your car intimately when you have it all apart. To my knowledge there is no way to change it out other than pulling the whole dash board out. If you get someone to assist you in lifting it out it makes it a lot easier. But once you get it done, you'll be very proud of yourself.