300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Need help with my 1984 300z Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Anally Challenged

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
you're giving bad info. how can you say that there is not a coolant temp sensor when you have been shown the part number for one? it does exist.
That's pathetic. Where is the coolant temp sensor located? What exactly is it's function? How does it interface with the ECU? How does it affect cold starts? How could it possibly cause this guy's problem?
I think this thread should be stickied so that anyone with a z31 who comes to this board looking for help will be forewarned.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 PM

i never said you were wrong about the sensor.Just that different places call if different names im buying parts from local auto parts stores not ordering online.Thats all im not trying to discredit anything you have said.So basically that short hose i see is what i needs to be replaced on the turbo to bring it back to stock.Ill just cut a short piece of hose to size off my long hose and that should do it correct?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Anally Challenged

Originally Posted by 1984z31turbo
i never said you were wrong about the sensor.Just that different places call if different names im buying parts from local auto parts stores not ordering online.Thats all im not trying to discredit anything you have said.So basically that short hose i see is what i needs to be replaced on the turbo to bring it back to stock.Ill just cut a short piece of hose to size off my long hose and that should do it correct?
I understand that. Even Courtesy Nissan calls the CHTS a coolant sensor. What the other guy was telling you was the problem. Even after being told the correct name was the cylinder head temp sensor he still claimed to believe that the "coolant sensor" was your problem. Look at my first post to see how your ECU works. It does not get input from the coolant temp sending unit. That part sends info to your temperature gauge. If I was going to guess at your problem I'd go with 1. Air regulator. 2. CHTS. 3. Vacuum leak.
DL the FSM and it will tell you all the sensors your ECU uses for closed loop and open loop operation.
The hoses in the pic are correct. You may or may not have that T-fitting on your turbo. Some do, some don't. The important part is that your wg actuator gets boost/vac reference. The hose length is not that critical but you don't want it to be any longer than it needs to be.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by mike88se
You're giving incorrect information and you see grammar as the issue?
Since you like to point fingers, YOU also need to comprehend what someone is saying. NO ONE was giving a clear answer. angoodforyouifyoulikereadinpostslikethisbutidontiw ouldratherhavepunctuationinmysentences

That is a chts and only a chts.
Then...

I understand that. Even Courtesy Nissan calls the CHTS a coolant sensor.

Guess what... it IS also a Coolant Temp Sensor. The 280z / 280zx uses the exact same sensor for BOTH the CHTS and CTS.

Don't claim to know everything if you don't. I mentioned the "ecu" which I shouldn't have... because it does depend on the ecu for 280z's and 280zx's... apparently not for the Z31. Now I know.

< pointing fingers is soooo fun .... maybe now we can solve the prob >
Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Anally Challenged

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Since you like to point fingers, YOU also need to comprehend what someone is saying. NO ONE was giving a clear answer. angoodforyouifyoulikereadinpostslikethisbutidontiw ouldratherhavepunctuationinmysentences

Then...

Guess what... it IS also a Coolant Temp Sensor. The 280z / 280zx uses the exact same sensor for BOTH the CHTS and CTS.

Don't claim to know everything if you don't. I mentioned the "ecu" which I shouldn't have... because it does depend on the ecu for 280z's and 280zx's... apparently not for the Z31. Now I know.

< pointing fingers is soooo fun .... maybe now we can solve the prob >
More extraneous bullshit.
Yeah, that's what this thread needs. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm pointing out the fact that you and KasbeKZ are posting incorrect info and giving bad advice in this thread. I think that you're just pissed because you got caught giving incorrect answers on your own forum and you are trying to spin this into a CYA thing. If you don't know the answer then don't give one. That will take care of the "unclear answers" and the incorrect answers. And guess what...it isn't a coolant temp sensor. It is a cylinder head temp sensor and Courtesy Nissan calling it a coolant temp sensor does not make it a coolant temp sensor. And if the s30/130 used the "exact same sensor" as a coolant temp sensor, I'm pretty sure it would be listed under "other applications" in the description. Yes, that is a subtle dig at your concern with clarity and good grammar. I'm pretty sure you mean the s30/130 coolant temp sensor is the same part as the s30/130 CHTS.
I'm not here to correct spelling or parse grammar. I'm sure there is a grammar forum somewhere but if you want to do that here then feel free. Start with your own posts.
Before checking this thread to see what you had to say, I read the "suggestion to up Zdriver traffic" thread. I love irony
If you want to improve this board then you should try to get people like Spot and ZBum back.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM
The Good Twin

Yawn...
Hey... lets intraweb fight instead of solving the OP's prob.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Pr0n Addict

what makes you so sure of this?
i still think you're wrong. i've been searching and searching and have found a lot more about Z31 coolant temp sensors than i have of CHTS's.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
The Good Twin

The CTS is really irrelevant because it does not send signal to the ecu, just to the gauge. Checky:
Attached Thumbnails Need help with my 1984 300z Turbo-z31-ecu-wiring.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Pr0n Addict

hmm. so the whole disagreement is about part names.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM

replace the tps with the proper tps. automatic z31s have two plugs on the tps. i know this for a fact because i swapped an auto engine and harness into my 5spd and noticed it. the second plug should be right there with the other one. if not, i'd peel back the wire loom a little bit and check for cut wires, or maybe(it's a long shot) the harness is a 5spd harness. therefore not having the plug. here is a pic of the tps and the 2 plugs that should be there. ( i should also add that my engine and harness came out of an 84 and was placed in an 85)
if anyone wishes to argue that I'm wrong show proof, as i just took the pic with my phone literally 30 seconds ago.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Anally Challenged

hmm. so the whole disagreement is about part names.
Oh really?
i wouldn't exclude the CHTS, but i'm still thinking the coolant sensor.
Yawn...
Hey... lets intraweb fight instead of solving the OP's prob.
Don't post bad info and I won't have to correct it. Don't try to make it sound as if you didn't post bad info and I won't comment on your spinning.
I think the OP has enough info to solve his problem now. I'm not here to fight. I'm bored but I'm not that bored
peace

Last edited by mike88se; 03-09-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: poor grammar ;)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM

forgot to mention that i had a similar problem when i had both plugs to the tps plugged in after swapping the engine into my 5spd. i unplugged one and it went away. the exact reverse of your problem.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
The Good Twin

Man... I thought we'd grown up and gotten over it already ...

Don't try to make it sound as if you didn't post bad info
Apparently you missed it:

I mentioned the "ecu" which I shouldn't have... because it does depend on the ecu for 280z's and 280zx's... apparently not for the Z31. Now I know.
FOR THE LAST TIME... MOVING ON. HURRAAYYYYYYYYY
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by slydnz31
forgot to mention that i had a similar problem when i had both plugs to the tps plugged in after swapping the engine into my 5spd. i unplugged one and it went away. the exact reverse of your problem.
Good good... now we're getting somewhere!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 AM

about the harness

From the searching ive done involving the tps.The larger harness in the picture is for kickdown.My cars kickdown is just fine hmm this is getting wierd lol
Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM

yeah i would agree that is weird.. if i find anything else out i will let you know.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM

No offense intended but what in god's name would lead you to believe that a coolant temp sending unit could possibly cause the problem you have?
There should be a "shakes head in disgust and says **** it, life's too short for this ****"
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the TPS. You can practically throw the stupid thing away and the car is still going to run ok. It will never cause any symptoms like that.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Oposise Problem

I have the reverse problem with my car (84 VG30ET, 5 speed). It runs fine when it is cold, but sputters and dies at operating temp. It has new sensors (CHTS & CTS), new cat, o2 sensor, plugs/wires, vacuum lines, air/fuel filter. Just cleaned to IAC valve & replaced EGR tubes. Not sure about the TPS, but it does adjust. How about the MAF? Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jfleenor
I have the reverse problem with my car (84 VG30ET, 5 speed). It runs fine when it is cold, but sputters and dies at operating temp. It has new sensors (CHTS & CTS), new cat, o2 sensor, plugs/wires, vacuum lines, air/fuel filter. Just cleaned to IAC valve & replaced EGR tubes. Not sure about the TPS, but it does adjust. How about the MAF? Any ideas?
Did you manage to sort this out - I have the exact same stall problem?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM

No resolution yet

@chappo123, I have not resolved the problem yet. I now think is still might be the CHTS/CTS. Even though the new one was supposedly installed just before I got the car, I think the sensor may be faulty. I have a new one ready to install, but haven't had the time to do it yet. Looks like a lot of work. If anyone knows of an easier way to replacing it, I would appreciate any help.