300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

my good luck

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 PM

is it the same concept as a b18 and a b16 "honda wise"
Old 03-02-2006, 12:43 PM

It's the same concept it's always been...

"There is no replacement for displacement."
Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 PM
NisTuner

Well I don't know why you'd particularly want to go turbo, especially with a VG30. You would just make that engine bay a pain in the *** to even look at. You can essentially get more power out of a single turbo, but a twin turbo setup is better for quicker boost from the getgo. I don't believe it's incredibly hard to TT a VG30, but it's not easy. I agree with what everyone else says. If you've got $20k to throw at this car drop it at a shop and have them do it. It will be more expensive that way, but you can bet it'll be in there and you won't have to worry about doing it yourself.

By the way, got any pics of the Z31 you've acquired?
The Cake Is A Lie!

it's all about displacement. vg33= 3.3L, vg34=3.4L. more displacement=more power potential.
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
It's the same concept it's always been...

"There is no replacement for displacement."
Ahhh yes, but as the great Billy Crystal once said... "It is better to look good, than to feel good"

Rod.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM

the pics will be up in about 24-36 hours the car is on a truck on the way down here to new hampshire it is leaving tomorrow morning so as soon as i get it i will have pics on here for you guys when i get the new powerplant is there a forum to sell my stock one on or should i keep it. i think i am gonna take you guys advise and have a shop do it but i feel cheap knowing that someone else did the work it's a whole pride thing with me i have built every one of my other cars . i'll get over it tho i guess. thanks for your help and thanks az for that link i just found my new car bible lol.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:55 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

swap in a Gallo 12.

Last edited by entropy31; 03-02-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:56 PM

oh one more thing where can i get a couple different body kit choices something up to date yet none of that honda b.s. i'd almost like to go japan style body kits

Last edited by myfirstz31; 03-02-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Doesn't post much...

In all seriousness, if I had that kind of budget to work with I would send it to someone with the skills and do a built motor swap. It's nice to say you did the work yourself, but it's even better to know it was done correctly and to its full potential. A VG30DETT wouldn't be a bad idea except for the fact that they are a beeyotch to work on. AZ-ZBum's VG33 idea is a good one too. Maybe you could find an Eaton S/C'ed one from a wrecked Frontier... That would be sweet and different from what anyone else is doing. What ever you decide, I know that once you drive it... You'll be a lifelong Z car guy. Welcome to the fraternity

Rod.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up

thanks nice to be here lol
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by entropy31
swap in a Gallo 12.
naw... Gallo 24!

Am I the only one that got that?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM

i never new pizza shops made motors lol rofl
Old 03-02-2006, 01:40 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by myfirstz31
hum... that Paul Walker.... He's so hot right now!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:42 PM

lol where can i get some j spec body styling
Old 03-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Doesn't post much...

No no no... It's "Ernest and Julio Gallo" the fine wine makers...

Rod.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:38 PM

I met a guy at work the other day who had a cashiers check in his name from Patelco Credit Union for $150k...
Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 PM

RB would be a great swap for a Z31. The swap is relatively simple on that car. An RB25 is PRACTICALLY a bolt in deal. You get the greatness of turbo power in the awesome platform of the RB all while clearing up a little elbow room on atleast one side of the engine. I didnt read if anyone cleared up the "whats an RB" question or not but just run a google search for RB26DETT or RB25DET or even NISSAN SKYLINE and you'll find tons of info. Now take your car, that engine, and all the parts neccessary to a shop with $20G's in hand and you will walk out one happy camper (well once the car is finished anyways). If you've got the means and know how then you can do the swap yourself and save a few bucks to put toward other areas of the car. Get some suspension parts put in to keep up with the engine

Oh, and just for the record: If I had $20K, I'd keep my S130 AND get a Z32 TT I mean if I make that kind of money I can affford both. Then I'd keep the Z32 stock and work on the S130 with the left over money from the Z32 while using the Z32 for my daily driver. But thats just me. I mean, I know the S130 will NEVER be the car that the Z32 can be so why try But atleast that way I'd have the best of both worlds. Classic sexy looks and modern death trap speed

Last edited by jfairladyz; 03-02-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Doesn't post much...

^ Heh... I keep the S130 because the Z32 scares me as a potential daily driver. AAA only gives you so many free tows every year ya know...

Rod.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:22 PM

oh one more thing where can i get a couple different body kit choices something up to date yet none of that honda b.s. i'd almost like to go japan style body kits
once again, my site provides the information you're looking for...

http://www.az-zbum.com/information.body.kits.shtml
Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
You can essentially get more power out of a single turbo, but a twin turbo setup is better for quicker boost from the getgo.
Why do you believe 3 cylinders will spool 1 turbo faster than 6 cylinders will spool
1 turbo?
Twins are about packaging,not spool.
However sequential turbos are designed for quick spool,but they do not apply here.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 PM

hi everyone i am a new z owner because as of yesterday i picked up a 87 z turbo for 250 bucks off my brother in law i wanna make it a pretty fast car but have no clue on where to start because honestly in heart i am a vw guy but any help that is offered would be a huge help i really have no budget but would like to stay under 20 grand thanks for your time

I suggest you do alot of research before you decide anything.
AZ-Bum has a very good site.
This is another very good site http://www.redz31.com/

Read both of those sites and folow the links in them.
There is alot of good info out there.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 PM

i think i am gonna take you guys advise and have a shop do it but i feel cheap knowing that someone else did the work it's a whole pride thing with me i have built every one of my other cars . i'll get over it tho i guess. .
Build it yorself.You will save alot of money,and have the pride that comes along with it.
There aren't many shops that know these cars anyways.And on top of that there
isn't hardly any aftermarket support for our cars.
Forget about Nissmo.
Most off the aftermarket parts for these cars are built by guys who own a z31.
With your research you will find these parts,or get ideas on how to make your own.
If you know how to weld the sky is the limit.
Good luck.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:27 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by craZed
Why do you believe 3 cylinders will spool 1 turbo faster than 6 cylinders will spool
1 turbo?
Twins are about packaging,not spool.
However sequential turbos are designed for quick spool,but they do not apply here.
twin turbos use 2 smaller turbos. smaller turbos spool faster than big turbos, but with 2 of them, you can get boost equivilant of one large, slow to spool turbo.

sequentials use 1 small turbo for initial boost, and 1 larger turbo for top end.

either way, you are getting faster spool times than you would wit one big turbo.

Last edited by entropy31; 03-04-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
twin turbos use 2 smaller turbos. smaller turbos spool faster than big turbos, but with 2 of them, you can get boost equivilant of one large, slow to spool turbo.

sequentials use 1 small turbo for initial boost, and 1 larger turbo for top end.

either way, you are getting faster spool times than you would wit one big turbo.
On the same size engine, of course you would. But you're missing the point. You're now comparing two 1.5L engines each running a small turbo to one bigger 3.0L engine running a bigger turbo, there are more variables.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 AM

Twin turbo's are about efficiency. Will 3 cylinders off the same motor spool a small turbo faster than 6 will do a slightly larger one? No. However if each turbo has to do less work then each turbo is going to be more efficient then if you used only one turbo. Twin turbos dont eliminate lag compared to a single set up unless the two smaller turbo's are so impractically small that you lose all efficiency at the top end or you're using a single turbo thats too large for a "street' application. Which is where one would be concerned with lag.

Twin turbos are meant to preserve driveability AND keep the top end. Thats efficiency. And that applies to sequential and non sequintial setups as well.

On a V6 the twin turbo makes a little more sense as you can place the turbo's right near the exhaust ports where they'll be most efficient. Where as with a single turbo setup you're going to have exhaust piping routing exhaust gases to the turbine which decreases some of that efficiency.

And on top of all that, turbos arent light. And if lag is your concern then top end ISN'T and weight really becomes a factor.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 03-04-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: my good luck