300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

HELP! noise from right rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 04:56 AM

Re: HELP! noise from right rear

it could be that your e-brake cable needs adjusting. if it's set too tightly then the pads may be rubbing. factory spec says the handle should click 7-8 times when you're pulling it up. another thing to check is the dust shield. could be that it accidently got bent or something and is rubbing on something. also check to make sure the cable slides freely in the cable housing on both sides.

I would doubt it's the bearing - never heard one of those rub before. they're enclosed by so much steel that i would think you wouldnt even be able to hear them.

hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2002, 02:24 PM

Re: HELP! noise from right rear

I cant think of anything else that would cause the brakes to make noise.

about the TB tho - you don't have to remove the upper intake at all. Just remove the old TB, stuff a rag or 2 inside some double layer plastic bags, wad that up (with plastic on the outside) and stuff that into the hole where your TB bolts up. then you can port out the intake to match the TB.

the reason for using plastic instead of just rags is that rags will leave fibers on any rough places in your intake, and consequently get sucked in. plastic is not as likely to do that.

make sure you vacuum any shavings or metal particles out of the intake hole before you pull out the "stuffing" and maybe vacuum after to make double sure nothing got left behind.

Old 04-18-2002, 04:41 PM

on the tb

Dangit I hate to disagee with Spot but I'd say pull the plenum to port it. You will be amazed at how messy it gets porting aluminum. Getting that on your engine will be a pain to remove although you may be able to slide something under it to catch all the aluminum dust. As far as fibers getting sucked in your intake I wouldn't worry too much about that. It isn't likely that you will get any fibers large enough to hurt anything and anything small will burn off anyway.

ZenArcher