300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

Noise from the rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:06 PM

Noise from the rear axle

I am getting a noise from the rear axle on my '90 Z. It's difficult to describe it, but at low speeds it sounds a little like a bad wheel bearing.

I haven't checked the bearings yet but I will when the weather improves. Anyone have an idea what this could be, or had the same problem?

Thanks for any help,
JohannB
Old 02-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Banned

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me
Old 02-25-2004, 09:00 PM
confuzed member

If it sounds like a wheel bearing....it probably is.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 AM

Are you sure it's in the axle and not the drive shaft. If it's coming from the driveshaft, it could be the main support bearing. If it is coming from the axle, then I agree with everyone else. Just wanted to provide another possibility.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:45 PM

Rear axle noise

I think it's from the axle... because the sound is approximately 1 cycle with each rotaion of the tires, rather than being several cycles per tire rotation if it were the drive shaft.

Thanks for your help,
JohannB

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Are you sure it's in the axle and not the drive shaft. If it's coming from the driveshaft, it could be the main support bearing. If it is coming from the axle, then I agree with everyone else. Just wanted to provide another possibility.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by JohannB
I think it's from the axle... because the sound is approximately 1 cycle with each rotaion of the tires, rather than being several cycles per tire rotation if it were the drive shaft.

Thanks for your help,
JohannB

GAH i'm having the same problem (i'm a new user, my names alex) and i thnk i ahve EVERY problem identified for the Z32 on this site... it's a shame... but slowly and surely i'm fixing them one by one... my realistic goal is to get this car runnning like brand new... i have the same squak....squeak... squeak.... in the rear axle... and then when you speed up it becomes a shrill high pitched shriek and then the engine and exhaust (full of holes) noise drowns it out... so it's a wheel bearing? thanks that'll speed up my search and destroy and replace
Old 10-23-2004, 02:45 PM

Noise

The noise mine is making is not a squeal or squeak, but more of a knock like sound. I replaced the 2 rear tires and the car is a little smoother. Now I suspect the front tires may be the rest of the problem.

I have Goodyear Gators on the front and I have read that they tend to become noisy and rough riding over time. I am going to try replacing them with Bridgestones like I put on the rear and see what happens. The Bridgestones are excellent and stick like glue even on wet pavement. I was amazed at the traction I have in the wet.

If you are hearing a squeaking noise, it could be wheel bearings, or even the wear indicator on the brake pads. It is designed to contact the rotor and make a high pitched squeal when the pads are near worn out.

Johann

Originally Posted by fokker300ZX
GAH i'm having the same problem (i'm a new user, my names alex) and i thnk i ahve EVERY problem identified for the Z32 on this site... it's a shame... but slowly and surely i'm fixing them one by one... my realistic goal is to get this car runnning like brand new... i have the same squak....squeak... squeak.... in the rear axle... and then when you speed up it becomes a shrill high pitched shriek and then the engine and exhaust (full of holes) noise drowns it out... so it's a wheel bearing? thanks that'll speed up my search and destroy and replace
Old 10-23-2004, 09:27 PM

thanks a lot i know i have a lot of Brake issues to work out.. i'll fix those first and try and diagnose any other problems
Old 10-24-2004, 07:12 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Usually, when a wheel bearing is going bad, you will see some play, or losseness in the bearing. This can generally be checked by jacking the wheel off of the ground and grabbing the tire at the top and bottom and trying to tip it in and out. Any movement is bad. (you will more than likely feel this movement rather than see it). Also, as you rotate the tire with your hand, listen (feel) for any grinding.

I check my wheel bearings every 5k miles when I rotate my tires.