300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

clutch or transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 PM

clutch or transmission?

Hello. having a problem i need help diagnosing. remember, i am new to mechanics. trying to learn.

i took my z to the mechanic last week for an inspection. one of the things he recommended was a new clutch.

the next day i couldn't get my car into reverse. putting it into 3rd then reverse worked. i thought maybe the engine was idling at too high an rpm for it to go into reverse.

the next day i tried again but same thing - even putting it in 3rd wouldn't work. i parked it in the driveway, dismayed.

today i started the car in reverse and worked no problem. backed it out of the driveway just fine, drove it around the neighborhood. 1 - 4th gears checked out fine, then i got stuck in a cul de sac. it would not go into reverse. then i put it in 5th gear and then tried reverse and it worked.

same thing happened when i went too far into the carport and knocked some bikes - it wouldn't reverse from 1st, but it would after going 5th - reverse.

so. do i need a new clutch as the mechanic said or do i need a transmission overhaul?

(please say clutch. Please!)

thanks flacster and everyone else in advance for your help.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Ruff Ryder

So the car was fine when you drove it to him, and fine prior too that and now the clutch pedal is magically mis adjusted? You don't need a clutch if it isn't slipping, if you are having troubles getting into gear, then you need to adjust it. Idle needs to be around 800RPM.

I wouldn't doubt it if the "mechanic" loosened the adjuster on the clutch and then misdiagnosed a bad clutch to make more money off of you. I would file a police report, report him the BAR, report him to the state and report him to the city where he gets his business license. then find a real mechanic, or learn to do it yourself.