280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Turboing a NA

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:27 PM

Turboing a NA

Ok i know this has been asked a thousand times but i need some answers quick. I can get my hands on a complete turbo kit for a low price, and for just the turbo and manifold for only 180$!!! But my car is N/A and i heard that the Turbo and N/As have different heads. If the guys "kit" has everything for turboing my motor can i do it without killing my motor? I really want a turbo Z!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 PM

Get the turbo kit. If its is really a good deal. Its better to have a turbo block but if you rebuild a N/A block the turbo will do fine.
I would get the turbo.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
The Good Twin

$180 is a good deal if the turbo is still good & all the needed parts are there. I would advise keeping it below 6psi boost until you re-build the motor.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
The Evil Twin

what is the kit? Does that mean the manifold with turbo is $180 or does this kit come with more than that?

You'll need at the very least an aftermarket RRFPR to reach your boost and up the fuel pressure. Get the BEGI one for $175.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Heres the story, I was at a car hangout with the Z and me and my friends were standing around it just talking and this older dude comes up and starts saying i have turbo kit and parts and etc. He didnt speak good english so thats why it was kinda hard to tell what he was saying lol. But just for the heck of it i asked the price of only the manifold and turbo and he said only $180 ! So the rest cant be too much more! I got his number and he left, he seemed weird, not sneaky like it was a scam, but he seemed...dumb. Anyway he said he had a parts car and a running turbo one but he said he wasnt on any Z forums so w/e. How can I go about rebuilding my motor for the turbo application? Good thing is im buying a DailyDriver car soon so I can have the Z on downtime!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM

i dunno...remember Pulp Fiction and the basement?? bring lube alls I say.

haha but seriously go and check it out, bring a friend, and see if its worth it.
what head do you have on there??? p79? you can run a little boost on that engine, but all you would really need is dished pistons to lower the compression little and run more boost safely.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by iluvJDM
So the rest cant be too much more!
LoL... Do you even know what "the rest" is?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 PM

Nope.

lol, yeah like I said the guy was sketchy with his description of the "kit", Im not sure if he took all the stuff from a L28ET or if he just got a turbo kit to fit onto a NA L28. Im not sure if he even has a intercooler or piping. But im in the process of getting a second car , if that doesnt work out Ill give him a call to see whats up.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 AM
The Evil Twin

you keep saying "KIT" but there is no kit. There is only the factory Nissan turbo setup.

If he is unknowledable about engines, most likely he pulled the exhaust manifold with turbo and maybe the J-pipe. To most people looking at an engine that is the obvious difference between a turbo and NA engine. Sticking that on your car is not a kit and not a full swap but its a start...
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM

At the risk of sounding like an *** hole I think you might be getting yourself in over your head here. The manifold and turbo are the EASIEST parts of the conversion to find. It's all the "little" stuff you need to worry about. Go check it out and find out everything this guys got and see if this guy is even legitimate in his claim.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:53 PM
The Good Twin

J's Back! Woohoo!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Yeah I'm feeling you J, Im not that mechanically expierenced and not in a position to be doing seroius engine work, Ill check the guy out one day and let you guys know how it went.