240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

need info on turboing 240

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Z Extreme Guy

need info on turboing 240

ok well its a 240 body with a 3.1 L.

?: i was thinking of pollishing my turbo a littel. yes / no

?: what is the difrence from a 82 280zx turbo unit / 84 z31 turbo unit.

im going to do it but not to into turbos so im trying to figuer it out.

if some one says get a difrent turbo, i say i dont want to much bost on this car. i am going to also use the tripel side draft webers. so any one have any info?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:40 PM
the Dude

-you don't turbo a high compression stroker motor.

-you don't turbo a carburatted car unless you're very good at tuning a drawthrough/blowthrough setup.

- you especially don't turbo a triple weber setup.

oh yeah, and i don't think you have any of those things
Old 06-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by auxilary
-you don't turbo a high compression stroker motor.

-you don't turbo a carburatted car unless you're very good at tuning a drawthrough/blowthrough setup.

- you especially don't turbo a triple weber setup.

oh yeah, and i don't think you have any of those things
wow you must work for deana worwick.

i can tune for drawthrough/blowthrough setup.
i do have triple weber setup.
and your an idiot!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:53 PM

Here is the deal. If you know how to tune and install a draw through tripple set up, not to many or maybe none of us here could help you much. It has and can be done , but the cost and the benefits of doing it wouldn't compare to just
installing a single throttle body ZX manifold with a bigger TB , larger flow injectors and turbo . Check out HybridZ's turbo section and those guys can
help you out . They have pretty muched tried about everything .

BTW... We are all Idiots at some time of our lifes , so calling Auxilary and idiot
really doesn't mean much

I thought Dr. Budha had his own website now ?

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
wow you must work for deana worwick.

i can tune for drawthrough/blowthrough setup.
i do have triple weber setup.
and your an idiot!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by Spudz
Here is the deal. If you know how to tune and install a draw through tripple set up, not to many or maybe none of us here could help you much. It has and can be done , but the cost and the benefits of doing it wouldn't compare to just
installing a single throttle body ZX manifold with a bigger TB , larger flow injectors and turbo . Check out HybridZ's turbo section and those guys can
help you out . They have pretty muched tried about everything .

BTW... We are all Idiots at some time of our lifes , so calling Auxilary and idiot
really doesn't mean much

I thought Dr. Budha had his own website now ?

i do have my owen web sit but dose that mean i cant come here still?

and he called me a lier. and also convetional is not why i owen as many z as i do. so unless he is sikeck then he should not make statments like he did.i asked a ? on what was the difrence on the difrent turbos,and what would hapen if i polished the turbo i was going to use."?: i was thinking of pollishing my turbo a littel. yes / no

?: what is the difrence from a 82 280zx turbo unit / 84 z31 turbo unit."not this guy is full of sh#* so im going to talk trash insted of helping. this is why some of us get upset when we come to this site and get chastiezed.so thank- you spudz for helping me, and thank you for not monering auxilary.he had every right to say to me what he did.becuez if he dosent have it then i not have it ether,right. i ll say it one more time thank-you for helping me.

p.s. spudz i am ameber of HybridZ but i was hoping i would get more thhen one opion.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:26 AM
Z Extreme Guy

well figuerd it out: potred and polsied the turbo yesterday and instaled it.i also talked to corky bell to day on the best way to deliver the power to the carbs so i should have the set up done soon as i get the metirals to build the stanless stell air box out of and a inercooler i will have pics soon as work is done.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:58 AM
the Dude

I'll forego your spelling and grammar, since I had to read over what you typed 5 times to make sure I understood it correctly, and I am still confused on some parts.

Let me break this down for you:

ok well its a 240 body with a 3.1 L.
You have a stroker 3.1L. I'm assuming that since the rods have been replaced with longer ones, and you have a different crank, you have a longer stroke, giving you higher compression. Compression on stroker 3.1 motors is usually about 9.5, and since most people set up/build up strokers as high hp naturally aspirated units, they usually use a thinner headgasket... Now, did you build a stroker motor, or did you buy one? Chances are that if you didn't build it with turbo in mind, you have 9.5:1 or higher compression ratio. Therefore, if you're trying to turbo a high compression motor and run it through a triple weber setup, it's entirely way more work than say... picking up an L28ET, building up the top end for under 1000 bucks and putting a t04/3 hybrid turbo on it and making ~400hp.

This is the first reason I questioned your motives.
?: i was thinking of pollishing my turbo a littel. yes / no
Polishing a turbo is for looks only, so what purpose does this question serve? If you want to polish it to make it look nice, go for it. The only problem is that since you're going to run triple webers which if you indeed have, the giant airbox is going to completely conceal the turbo, which will sit right below carb #3. Therefore, no point in polishing it if no one can see it without using a dentist's mirror tool

?: what is the difrence from a 82 280zx turbo unit / 84 z31 turbo unit.
They're both T3 turbos. I believe the T3 has a slightly larger exhaust a/r to accomodate more exhaust flow from the larger motor

im going to do it but not to into turbos so im trying to figuer it out.
If you're on hybridz, and you're trying to learn about turbos, you would see a sticky post from me at the top of hte turbo forum.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?na...wtopic&t=29947

which has a complete explanation guide worth about an hour's reading to teach you turbos. So, if you're on hybridz, but can't use the resources, that is ignorance. There's also a complete turbo guide to an L series block for Z cars, also a sticky post at the very top:

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?na...wtopic&t=24042

well figuerd it out: potred and polsied the turbo yesterday and instaled it.i also talked to corky bell to day on the best way to deliver the power to the carbs so i should have the set up done soon as i get the metirals to build the stanless stell air box out of and a inercooler i will have pics soon as work is done.
You.... ported... a turbo? Now, explain to me exactly what you did: how did you "port" a turbo? did you port the compressor and exhaust housing? I'd like to see some pictures. Heck, if you don't have space to host'em, email them to me, I'll be happy to host them for you on datsunracing.com. Also, Mr. K is helping me work on my Z!

For what it's worth, either you're a kid who has high ambitions and no research, or you just want to make people think you know what you're talking about. Next time, think before you try to trash or convince others thinking you know more. At any given time, there's always someone who knows more than you, and that goes for everyone.

Old 06-15-2004, 04:39 AM

Kind of not related; is that Turbo a T3/T4 Hybred? Along with my newly aquired 240, I have a Saab 900 SPG with the biggest turbo I could make reliably work. It is a Garrett T3/T4 hybred and looks much smaller than that? I could just imagine how fast a Z would be under boost. My Z is a 71 with 3x40DCOE's, header, and I think a cam (Lumpy idle) Just pulled it from the woods where it sat for 7 years. It has lots of go fast goodies (all older) and the body is not too bad. Just got it to run (pretty well too)with a new electronic ignition. These cars are incredable! Now all I have to do is get everything else working and looking good! New Z Guy, Kurt.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 PM
the Dude

it's a T04S with .7 a/r compressor in 60-1 trim, .84 a/r exhaust in p-trim
Old 06-16-2004, 04:09 AM

Way to big for a 2.0 L. Thanks, Kurt.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Z Extreme Guy

"For what it's worth, either you're a kid who has high ambitions and no research, or you just want to make people think you know what you're talking about. Next time, think before you try to trash or convince others thinking you know more. At any given time, there's always someone who knows more than you, and that goes for everyone. "

your right im only 5 years old and i dont evan have a z car. or even know what makes a car work.im just a dumb kid trying to be kool.wow im so sorry.maby when i grow and i am old enghf and i by a z we could race. wow im so ashmed.

lol.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:18 AM
I have a present for you...

Try something new

They say Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, after 1000 tries. The only people who don't make mistakes are people that don't do anything, which is a mistake. Dr. Budda flies a Japanese flag so I think he understands more than one language including the one we abuse.The purpose of this forum is to share ideas and constuctive criticism not rock throwing.
I read that compression ratios above 8.5 to 1 can result in detonation, almost certain death to any turbo system. A large turbo and box would cause long turbo lag.
One of my ideas is to put a Holley Projection on a daily driver.
Here is a styling idea I have attached.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:44 PM
The Evil Twin

I agree it is not common practice to use a long stroke engine with a turbo. In fact there is more stress on connecting rods the longer the stroke. A short stroke turbo will last longer due to the rods being in a more vertical alignment uppon detonation.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/

This guy has a nicely built 280zx turbo and the list of mods says he has the stroker crank. He also used custom made connecting rods so he might have kept the compression down low.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Z Extreme Guy

ty you bouth for the info and i will lookin to better rods im almost done with it now just have to finish the air box