280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Should I keep the original color

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Should I keep the original color

I have a 1983 280ZX 2 seater. Currently it is gold with a tan interior. I am going to have it painted and am redoing the interior. I am pretty sure that I am going to redo the interior black, with maybe a contrasting color to make it pop. However I am not sure about the exterior color. I am going to keep the car pretty much stock for the time being. I am not certain about the current gold paint. If I do change the color I was thinking about viper blue with white racing stripes, or possibly silver with white stripes, similar to the new SS camaro. I was just trying to see what others thought. I know only I can decide if I like the current color which is ok, but I think it might look better in one of the other colors.

Memphisheat
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM
The Good Twin

Moved to 280zx section.

In my opinion, racing stripes on anything but a Viper is about the same as a "Hey, I'm a redneck" sticker across the windshield.

However, if you want stripes, the Datsun BRE paintjob is a good option, tho slightly more suited for the S30:

You could also do the FIA / SCCA stripes:

Old 11-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The stock two tone setup actually really suits the car if you want to go with something other than the stock colour. It really accents the car. Stripes tend to make the car look narrow unless you do them right. Good luck - it's a tricky task!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:46 PM

If I ever find the picture of the one Im refering to Ill post it. If liking it means I am a redneck than I guess I am a redneck. I thought I was a cajun but

Memphisheat
Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Hey, we need more cajuns on the forum. Where are you from Memphisheat? I grew up in Sulphur but have been gone for awhile.
Brent
Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by cajun98
Hey, we need more cajuns on the forum. Where are you from Memphisheat? I grew up in Sulphur but have been gone for awhile.
Brent
Im from Baton Rouge. Lived there for awhile but moved prior to 8th grade. I spend as much time as I can in the deep south, all over La, southern AL, Southern MS etc. I love the south and hopefully will retire on the coast down that way. Of course when your in the rural south there are just a few things to do on an average day: hunt/fish, drink, boat, work on cars, cook, and eat. On a good day you combine all of these things together in no particular order. Of course a true cajun is good at all of the above.
I have lived in Memphis ever since I moved, and while it is still in the south it is just not the same. Where do you live now? If it says I guess I missed it.

Memphisheat
Old 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
The stock two tone setup actually really suits the car if you want to go with something other than the stock colour. It really accents the car. Stripes tend to make the car look narrow unless you do them right. Good luck - it's a tricky task!
Thanks. I still have not made up my mind. My daughter is 14 and I am going to restore the car and give it to her for her 16th birthday so I guess Ill let her decide.
I really love that 240 you have on the far right of the picture. I like the 280s, but I really want a 240, or 260. I think I am going to buy one when I find a really nice one. I dont think there is a better looking classic car, and maybe not a better looking car period, than the 240 and 260 Z's.

Memphisheat
Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Memphisheat, I'm in NE Utah for the past few years. I fly for a group of guys in the oil/gas industry up here. Still have alot of family back in Louisiana. I try to get back down there as often as I can. It's hard to beat the food and the culture, for sure.
Brent
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
The Good Twin

Memphisheat, I'm in NE Utah for the past few years. I fly for a group of guys in the oil/gas industry up here.

Vernal?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 AM

Memphisheat, I'm in NE Utah for the past few years. I fly for a group of guys in the oil/gas industry up here. Still have alot of family back in Louisiana. I try to get back down there as often as I can. It's hard to beat the food and the culture, for sure.
Brent
Wow thats got to be a bit of a culture shock!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by memphisheat
Thanks. I still have not made up my mind. My daughter is 14 and I am going to restore the car and give it to her for her 16th birthday so I guess Ill let her decide.
I really love that 240 you have on the far right of the picture. I like the 280s, but I really want a 240, or 260. I think I am going to buy one when I find a really nice one. I dont think there is a better looking classic car, and maybe not a better looking car period, than the 240 and 260 Z's.

Memphisheat
240/260/280Z - S30 chasis (same body)
280ZX - S130 chasis

So if you're looking for a 240Z don't forget about the 280Z. You can always change the ugly bumpers
Old 11-29-2011, 01:05 PM

240/260/280Z - S30 chasis (same body)
280ZX - S130 chasis

So if you're looking for a 240Z don't forget about the 280Z. You can always change the ugly bumpers
So the only difference in the 240 and the 280 is the bumper? I have a 280 now. I have never seen them side by side but I like the 240 better. I think I like the 260 the best, but again I have never seen them all together. I just know of the 3 I like the 280 the least, but I guess it possible that the bumper killed the looks for the whole car.

I also have an 81 formula firebird and compared to the birds from the 70s its the dog of the group, and its the bumper that killed it. Damn safety regulations. Camaros of the same years also. You have to love the small split double crome "bumper" from the 1970 camaro, especially when you compare it to the 80s plastic bumpers.

Memphisheat
Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
The Good Twin

Asthetically (looks-wise) the only differences are bumpers, tail lights, front turn signals, and some trim. The body is basically the same.

BUT...

The 280Z is much heavier than the 240Z, and has a 2.8L FI motor vs the 240Z's 2.4L dual carb.

With some work, you can swap on the much better looking 240Z bumpers (or use MSA fiberglass ones). Don't even try to swap tail lights.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Asthetically (looks-wise) the only differences are bumpers, tail lights, front turn signals, and some trim. The body is basically the same.

BUT...

The 280Z is much heavier than the 240Z, and has a 2.8L FI motor vs the 240Z's 2.4L dual carb.

With some work, you can swap on the much better looking 240Z bumpers (or use MSA fiberglass ones). Don't even try to swap tail lights.
Thats something to think about. My bird is a drag car and we are in the process of swapping the front end out for a full fiberglass one piece front from the 79 model year. We are mostly doing it for weight and ease of swapping out the motor, but it looks alot better too.

Thanks
Memphisheat
Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Thats something to think about. My bird is a drag car and we are in the process of swapping the front end out for a full fiberglass one piece front from the 79 model year. We are mostly doing it for weight and ease of swapping out the motor, but it looks alot better too.

Thanks
Memphisheat
A 79 is a 280ZX the 280Z was from 1975-78. I don't think a '79 ZX front clip would fit on an S30 without some serious modification. The body from 1970-1978 is esentially the same but they started using heavier gauge materials in the later S30 models so they are typically more "desireable" for V8 swaps, etc but then you end up with a heavier car. The tail lights, bumpers, interior console, etc are different and various other bits and pieces. Headlight buckets assemblies went from composite plastic to metal.

The 260 was transitionary car with the cruddy carbs, another 200 cc displacement and IIRC had both the thin and fat bumpers and was only made as a 1974 model. The 280Z was the first fuel injected Z and it had another 200cc displacement bringing it up to 2.8l and the best performance of the S30 cars. They also had an optional 5 speed at the end of the 280Z model line.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM

A 79 is a 280ZX the 280Z was from 1975-78. I don't think a '79 ZX front clip would fit on an S30 without some serious modification. The body from 1970-1978 is esentially the same but they started using heavier gauge materials in the later S30 models so they are typically more "desireable" for V8 swaps, etc but then you end up with a heavier car. The tail lights, bumpers, interior console, etc are different and various other bits and pieces. Headlight buckets assemblies went from composite plastic to metal.

The 260 was transitionary car with the cruddy carbs, another 200 cc displacement and IIRC had both the thin and fat bumpers and was only made as a 1974 model. The 280Z was the first fuel injected Z and it had another 200cc displacement bringing it up to 2.8l and the best performance of the S30 cars. They also had an optional 5 speed at the end of the 280Z model line.
Thanks, you can never learn enough.

I still really dig the Z you have on the far right of that picture. That is pretty much exactly what I want down to the color.

Memphisheat
Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I really need to take some new pics. I don't think I have hardly any with the headlight covers on....

Attached Thumbnails Should I keep the original color-polished-velocity-stacks-new-tray.jpg   Should I keep the original color-headlight-cover.jpg   Should I keep the original color-240z-510-01.jpg   Should I keep the original color-240z-510-02.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM

Nice Pics

Sweet rides Fricfrac, appreciate the large pics !! Drives me crazy when folks post thumbnail size pics, Ill add them to my desktop rotation

Cheers Bret
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 PM

Yep, that car would work perfectly. Your other car too. Ive always dug that car. I usually dont like the old box style forieign cars but they really did that one right. I remember seeing them when I was a kid. They were usually accompanied by several beautiful women, a man drapped with a wreath, and some popping the bubbly after winning a race.

Did you get your Z in its current shape or did you have to restore it? If you did have to restore it, did you do the work yourself or have someone help you? Id be interested in what all you did, how much it cost, and how long it took.

Memphisheat
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Yep, that car would work perfectly. Your other car too. Ive always dug that car. I usually dont like the old box style forieign cars but they really did that one right. I remember seeing them when I was a kid. They were usually accompanied by several beautiful women, a man drapped with a wreath, and some popping the bubbly after winning a race.

Did you get your Z in its current shape or did you have to restore it? If you did have to restore it, did you do the work yourself or have someone help you? Id be interested in what all you did, how much it cost, and how long it took.

Memphisheat
Yea the Datsun 510 is a friend of mine - he's had it for over 35 years IIRC. Very cool car that get's raced (auto X, Knox Mt)

The 240Z... here's a bit of the story.... I bought it after the guy restored it then did a bunch of other stuff to it. It's never perfect - always something else to do....

This was one of six cars that were to be built as weekend track cars in 1972. Two were started one of which was this car. This car was originally owned by Douglas Mouat of Seattle, WA. Two of the other racers - Phil Boersig and Terry Sweet were speed demons of every kind and before completing the other four Z's the two men decided to fly a single prop airplane underneat the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. One of the wings of the plane hit the water and unfortunately they both perished in the accident. The two completed Z's were used as pace ars for a memorial race in 1973 in their honour. The dash plaque from that race remains in the vehicle after the restoration.

The car was sold shortly there after and was garaged for eleven years. Car was then put in storage for about 18 years before it was purchased and fully restored after two and a half years of restoration.

Performance Mods
1972 Performance mods include the following:
-Triple Mikuni Carbs
-Ported/Polished Head
-Performance Cam
-Full header/exhaust
-Nissan Comp 5 speed
-Competition drive shaft
-LSD Diff

Resto Mods:
-Cusco front strut bar
-Konig Rewind 16x7 Wheels
-Front spoiler (rear not installed yet)
-All emblems shaved except Datsun logo on hood
Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Thats pretty cool.

Memphisheat
Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Moved to 280zx section.

In my opinion, racing stripes on anything but a Viper is about the same as a "Hey, I'm a redneck" sticker across the windshield.
I didn't think I was a redneck D: I painted my 280zx orange w/ black stripes.

I've also been doing a black interior. Just need some nice black seats and to finish the dash.

I still need to take a good recent pic of the car lol Anyway I'd just do whatever you like since it's your car good luck
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 AM

Looks good.

Memphisheat