Rebuild Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
The Good Twin

Sounds like the timing is off...

And still no oil pressure?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I JUST NOW got that issue fixed. I pull the pump and filled it clear full of oil and sure enough I got pressure!

And I have NO idea what the timing is at I still need to finish a few other things before I actually get it running for real. mind you thats the VERY FIRST time I started it lol
Old 05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Anyone know the fuel pump hose sizes for the in and out of the fuel pump? Sense I have a carb pump it will just be cheaper to get then a $75 returning FPR
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Also does anyone know what kind of air filter will fix in a 280ZX with SUs? I was thinking of MSAs K&N kit but that seems REALLY pricey...
Old 05-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok well I started the break in today! All went well oil pressure was great! Temp barely even went over half but the timing was off a tooth lol I'm just gonna notch the Dizzy instead of pulling the pump.

I still need to re adjust the nozzles and float levels along with the air flow of the SUs a good bit but they seem to be working great! Tho I cant get my idle under 950RPM for some reason... maybe that will get fixed once I adjust the SUs
Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
but the timing was off a tooth lol I'm just gonna notch the Dizzy instead of pulling the pump.
Come on now son... do it right...

If you let the motor sit for at least an hour or two, you will have very little oil leak out. You'd have to cut the edge completely off the dizzy mount to get the timing right.

Tho I cant get my idle under 950RPM for some reason... maybe that will get fixed once I adjust the SUs
Fix the timing...
Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I had the timing at 10 degrees (I took the bolt out) And it was still Idling high.

And To late I already notched the mount lol Bolts in and its at 10. So Im not gonna screw around with it anymore lol

Uh anyone have an SU Synchronizer that don't want anymore? lol Or one I can borrow for like an hour? I have one on the way but its like a week out (trying to save money where i can heh)
Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I feel like showing off my Z again lol Tho its nothing pretty to look at

I'm not to sure I like the shifter I got

1st
Name:  DSC01560.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  141.0 KB

N

2nd
Name:  DSC01561.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  133.0 KB

Oh and see I notched the dizzy! it works great too!
Name:  DSC01571.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  82.4 KB

Heh I was trying to do some cool body shots but I'm not so good with my camera anymore...
Name:  DSC01567.jpg
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  DSC01568.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  DSC01570.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

Yes my Z needs a bath lol
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Datsun!
Name:  DSC01565.jpg
Size:  197.9 KB

I love the headlights on the early Zs
Name:  DSC01566.jpg
Size:  123.4 KB

Someday, All black and hopefully racing seats oh and carpet too
Name:  DSC01562.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  138.1 KB

OK No more photos
Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

And it should be known that I now know how to rebuild 280ZX speedometers!

Name:  DSC01574.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  75.4 KB

I think I'll do a write up on this if no one else has yet. Its actually not that hard lol
Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Got bored today and I needed to get a PCV filter on the valve cover. well I didn't feel like spending $20 on a K&N one so I made this and I think it looks pretty good. its a chevy PCV filter it works really well too lol

Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM
The Good Twin

And it should be known that I now know how to rebuild 280ZX speedometers!

I think I'll do a write up on this if no one else has yet. Its actually not that hard lol
From my tinkering w/ the 280zx speedo's, you just pull a retaining pin, lift a bar, and spin the dials back, right? I never installed one back in a car after spinning it to zero, mainly because I didn't want to take the chance at getting busted for altering the odometer. Though it should be fine if you plan to keep the car forever.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well pulling the pin out and spinning the gears is only half of it, you need to make sure the gears are still timed right else the thing jams up and started breaking stuff lol that and to use the right oil on the rod and gears and make sure the pin stop is in the right place and lotta little things

And If your car is exempt from odometer requirements it doesn't matter lol
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well I got my stuff from MSA today! and I am a bit annoyed... The sycrotester does NOT work at all. But thankfully the K&Ns are ok tho they are an extremely tight fit in the engine bay...

Heh I drove it today and I ran into a really annoying issue with the fuel system I think its vapor locking as I drive it.... sense if I stop and let the fuel pump run with the engine off it will start and run again for a little bit, that or one of the 2 carbs it drinking gas faster then that fuel pump gives it and if thats the case, I might be washing my new rings out.... So I parked it till I get the new hopefully WORKING syncotester and get those carbs tuned right.
I'm kind regretting getting the carbs. Eh if worse comes to worse I'll sell them and the K&Ns and do a Z31 EFI swap lol
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 PM
The Good Twin

I'm kind regretting getting the carbs.
Too bad I can't say "I told ya so". I'm usually very clear on my carb swap stance, but I kept my mouth shut for ya.

Anyway... I doubt it's vapor lock (I'm not sure why everyone jumps straight to the "It's vapor lock!" conclusion) unless it's somehow 100+ degrees in Vernal (It's 65* right now in Salt Lake). What are you using to regulate fuel pressure?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Its been self regulated at about 4 PSI or so but maybe its not stable or something Revs find under no load when it does have load it coughs and stumbled and feels like its on 3 cyclinders.

And I figured as much but Oh well lol I'm hitting the junkyards this Saturday maybe I'll find a good Z31 to rip the EFI system out of.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok I figured out that the fuel pump isnt keeping up with what the carbs need at higher RPMs so thats one issue.

Second is I got my syncrotester fixed and balanced the carbs and such but I cant get a stable smooth idle UNLESS I just LIGHTLY lift up the rear carb's needle piston... The needle and seat is spotless but I'm a bit confused
Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

K&N Air Filters and a nice set of NGK Spark plug wires! Everythings here now. Now I just need to fix the fuel issue and the odd idle issue and everything should be set! I'm thinking of ordering some Z Therapy Needles and Nozzles to replace the old ones and see if that helps with the idle issue. I'll probably reinstall the EFI fuel system and do a returning regulator setup so I can still have the fuel system do the 5 second prime and I have the safety shutoff still work!

On the side note, I have my old EFI system still boxed up just in case lol
Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
i felld offa mai trike

All that work and you didn't even get a header.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by PurePontiacKid
All that work and you didn't even get a header.
I dont have enough for one lol I'm trying to save a little money where I can and I dont NEED a header lol
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Looks good man. But believe it or not. Headers are easier to mess with, opposed to the stock exhaust manifold. Man I forgot, how much of a pain the manifold is. Good luck man.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

I sorta figure seeing as its lighter and easier to get to the flange. but still funds didn't allow it and my manifold still works so....ya lol

Tho they would look good with everything else on the motor...
Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Yes they would. But funds can be a problem. Luckily, I got these headers, when I bought my '81 10 years ago. So that helps. You can get a pair, and put them on later. No big deal. I do love the sound, and smoothness they have.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ah nice! Heh maybe someday I'll get them but I have more important things I need to get first annoyingly...
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

Originally Posted by WildmaN
^ Yes they would. But funds can be a problem. Luckily, I got these headers, when I bought my '81 10 years ago. So that helps. You can get a pair, and put them on later. No big deal. I do love the sound, and smoothness they have.
I love being able to reach around that side of the motor about 5 minutes after shut down and not have to worry about burning my hands... The sound and all that is nice too.

Quick Reply: Rebuild Project