ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   Rebuild Project (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/rebuild-project-30367/)

BlueKitsune 03-24-2010 11:54 AM

Rebuild Project

As you may or may not know I took my entire engine to the machinist to get it cleaned up and ready for rebuild (I'm doing the rebuilding part) So far its got new bearings, rings, pickup tube, turbo oil pump, timing kit and all ARP hardware for it.

So far hes decked the block slightly, shaved the head to get it flush, rebuild the head with some new valves, honed, and now he wants to make sure the big end of the rods are ok after getting the arp bolts on them (I didnt think they needed to be re rounded just cuz of ARPS.

Once ARP gets its ass in gear and sends me the hardware I can start putting the engine back together and move on to the next part of my Z that needs attention (transmission tho I'm debating useing an 83 Trans, not sure yet...)

After that its brakes and suspension! Oh fun times! lol

PS: he said the pistons where bigger then the cylinder, I knew they were a very tight fit getting them out but I know their the right once for the engine so I'm a little confused.... I'm hoping my engine comes out fine after all this :s-chainsaw:

BlueKitsune 03-27-2010 03:38 PM

Ok for shits and giggles I'm going to take out the entire rear suspension from my junk 83 280ZX and install it into my 80 280ZX 2+2, No idea atm if everything will fit right (lines e-brake cable shocks) But It would give me some better brakes! Still Kinda amazed that its only 3 bolts holding everything on

Then I take the saws all and angle grinder with cutting blades and chop that junk 83 ZX in a pile of heavily rusted scrap.

NismoPick 03-27-2010 07:05 PM

Cutting up a car w/ a sawsall is harder than it sounds. I was planning to do that w/ my 280zxt donor car. Just cut off a chunk each week & send it in the garbage. I only got to the firewall before I said "screw it" and called up a buddy w/ a trailer.

BlueKitsune 03-27-2010 09:30 PM

Oh I know it is! I've done it before too me awhile, but this Z so damn rusted I think I could just break it apart with a pick axe! lol

BlueKitsune 03-27-2010 10:00 PM

I don't feel like making another thread.

Later this year I'm going to be moving and it will be pretty much across the US (aka Im moving to Ohio) And well I don't want to rent a uhaul truck if I can use my Z to tow a small trailer behind it.

Now the question is, where can I get a REMOVABLE tow kit for an 80 280ZX?

BlueKitsune 03-29-2010 06:34 PM

Got the ARP rob bolts today! Now I'm just waiting of the main and head studs... the machinist ordered all the new bearings rings and gaskets as well Along with a new pickup tube and a turbo oil pump which oddly has a housing of iron instead of aluminum and finally the complete timing kit! So once I get the ARPs the engine will be assembled!

Still Trying to decide what transmission to use. I'll try the 83 And if I don't like it I'll just swap it out I guess. Now I gotta start working on steering and suspension! and finish swapping in that new rear suspension from an 83 Z

BlueKitsune 04-10-2010 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well got all the APR hardware, New Injectors seals are on the way, I'm recycling the stronger 280Z injector holders as a good few of mine cracked. Turns out you cant get a new pickup tube for an L engine anymore other then maybe through a dealer. I fixed the EFI and cleaned up the 83 trans for use. Im just waiting on the machinist to finish the engine now!Then I'll stab the tranny on and drop in the entire thing, hook everything up and take it for a test drive! Er after I drain the old gas. lol

Uh Do Injectors leak other then at the body? I don't need a injector leaking into the cylinder and washing away the oil on my brand new rings.

Oh ya heres a pic of the engine bay as people dont like threads that don't have at lest one photo

Attachment 20140

NismoPick 04-10-2010 09:10 PM

Usually the 2 probs w/ these injectors is body leaking & not spraying. You should be able to feel the needle click if you push down on it w/ your fingernail / small screwdriver.

BlueKitsune 04-10-2010 11:32 PM

Well that makes it easy enough! Thank you!

Well Hopefully I should have everything here on Tuesday and hopefully have the car ready to fire on Wednesday!

BlueKitsune 04-17-2010 01:33 PM

Wells turns out the machinist got an "Open Box" from the parts company and got a mix of rings sizes instead of the standards So The engine progress has been delayed by like a week. I'll upload some pics of things later if I remember to take pics.

BlueKitsune 04-25-2010 06:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 20098

Awaiting Engine! Well so far all the engine parts are here finally and their the right ones so the engine is being put together finally! So hopefully I'll beable to get this Z back on the road soon!

In the mean time to I caved and decided to install my racing seat into my Z today...

Attachment 20099
New Seat, Old seat

Attachment 20100

And the bracket to hold the new seat on the old rails (to keep the seat belt buckle) IDk what steel I grabbed but I have burned up 4 metal cutting drill bits on that steel! and yes I oiled the bits as I was cutting. Also Turns out the racing seat is wider by about an inch or so the the factory but its mounts are shorter then the factor mounts by like 1/2inch... By nice once its done.

BlueKitsune 04-25-2010 06:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 20095
Attachment 20096Attachment 20097

Someone wanted to see the 280ZX and the 280Z brackets

PS: If anyone wants those 280Z seats, you can HAVE them! you pay to ship them tho or pick them up! Theirs only a small (like 1 inch) tear on the drivers seat but thats it and they just need cleaned

hoov100 04-25-2010 08:06 PM

You should knock out that factory sound deadener before it eats a hole in you're floors.

BlueKitsune 04-25-2010 08:50 PM

I know I was actually thinking of that today as I was working on the seat. Theres rust under the sound deadener over the gastank area already...

SpeciallySpiked 04-25-2010 09:17 PM

Just read your thing about a tow-bar. My 280ZX has one... just not sure where it came from. My Dad bought it back when he bought the car. I took it off but I plan on putting it back on one day for similar reasons.

BlueKitsune 04-25-2010 09:39 PM

I wonder if they still make them, do you know what brand it is or anything? I was actually thinking of cutting a hole in the spare bumper I have and welding in a hitch and welding the bumper mounts solid.

FubarI33t 04-26-2010 08:10 AM

those bumper mounts helped me alot on the last two deer i hit. only damage i took was a borkin blinker cover.

BlueKitsune 04-26-2010 10:56 AM

You hit two deer going backwards?

BlueKitsune 04-26-2010 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 20092

Went to see the machinist today and I snapped this pic! Its coming along nicely! tho So far I've had TWO cracked timing covers! I have 2 left but one is kinda ruined....

FubarI33t 04-27-2010 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune (Post 278941)
You hit two deer going backwards?

Those gas filled bumper shocks are on the front too.

BlueKitsune 04-27-2010 04:36 PM

I know, but Im making a tow bar out of an old rear bumper I have and I dont want to pull apart one of those shocks..... Im not touching anything on the front and the welded up bumper is only staying on as long as I need to tow a small trailer with it

BlueKitsune 04-30-2010 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little update on whats going on
Attachment 20071
Its nearly done! The block and head are painted Blue with everything else is painted black, and wow! Its looks amazing! This picture does not show how very shiny it is!

BlueKitsune 05-01-2010 10:05 PM

I still can not decide!
Stock EFI (Which I need to find 6 good working injectors so I dont wash the rings out and Probably get a new AFM)
OR
Round Top 3 screw SUs which need cleaned and rebuilt then tuned.

I really cant make up my mind but I'm really leaning to the SUs, even more so if I can get them properly rebuilt! I'm gonna tear into one tomorrow to see how hard it is to clean. I might take them to my friend which has a high pressure parts washer to see if I can get the crap cleaned off of them. Well the metal parts anyways lol

NismoPick 05-01-2010 10:23 PM

MSnS... then you can choose everything for your efi setup and not be stuck looking for L28E injectors.

The only carbs I would ever install would be the triple Mikunis or Webers, but that's just my opinion. :D

BlueKitsune 05-02-2010 07:11 PM

Ya Im going with my SUs sense I can take the time to rebuild them as I'm looking for a T-5 Trans for my Z now (those do work with a N42 block right?) My stock trans has bad syncros, my 83 trans gearing is to tall for my tastes in the early gears (I think, the only 83 I drove wasn't even running right but it felt oddly slow off the line)

Er I'm gonna new a new drive shaft huh?