280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

RB or SR in 280ZX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
i just thought everyone should know im sticking an SR in the 260 this summer....

and....... FIGHT!

I'm putting a 2 cycle weed whacker motor in my Z... that's what true tuners do.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Über User

pffft, im putting a nitro powered .019 cubic inch park flyer motor in my Z, that should be more than enough power to..... too...... power the clock?

you didnt watch my video i inked up here did you? your so cosed minded biased and a conformist, let peope think for them selves you republican.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:26 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
you didnt watch my video i inked up here did you? your so cosed minded biased and a conformist, let peope think for them selves you republican.
I'm at work right now... so I can't watch it. Is it a blue 260z & a Euro owner cruising up & down the street?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
You mean that there is a big difference in torque in the way that the Turbo just has more where as the N/A has less? I think that's what you were saying.
umm... NO! I said what I said there. The turbo engine has WAY less torque.
8.8:1 and a 3.9 rear vs 7.5:1 and a 3.54 rear

I'm saying, before that boost kicks in, you have so much less torque. Drivability in traffic is not as good. There is something nice about the instant response I had from my NA engine... and I had a good strong NA engine.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
Also I don't know how you can't find Turbo cars, either that or you're looking for too cheap. I keep finding 280ZXTs popping up for sale here in Ohio. For the most part you'd think they'd be rusted out in a junkyard somewhere.
Me too...

Originally Posted by iluvJDM
All the L28ETs I found are in the Midwest or California, and with shipping thats gonna be way more than $500.

Oh and a SR in a S30 is badass, a lightweight powerful motor in a super lightweight car is all good, so what if its a 4 banger? BTW anyone saying the SR doesn't have torque obviously has not ridden in a SR powered car, and they actually can make good mileage. The S14 weighs about 2900lbs and I don't see the SR having any problems lugging that weight around.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:59 PM
The Good Twin

so what if its a 4 banger?
um... didn't we just have 2 pages of why NOT a 4 banger?

BTW anyone saying the SR doesn't have torque obviously has not ridden in a SR powered car
You missed the whole torque issue... the SR makes great torque, at a very different RPM than the L28/L28ET.

and they actually can make good mileage.
No one said an SR can't get good gas mileage... but if you want 400, 500, 600hp, YOU WON'T HAVE GOOD GAS MILEAGE. Remember, it takes fuel to make power, the more power you want, the more fuel you need, the more fuel you use, the lower the mpg.

Yay!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Über User

yes its a blue 260 with a euro owner and its badass. you know your impressed, lol
Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

BTW anyone saying the SR doesn't have torque obviously has not ridden in a SR powered car, and they actually can make good mileage.
I never said it didn't have torque, just that it's torque curve and it's "average" torque across the entire rpm range is not as desirable and I've ridden in and driven SR20DE(T) powered 510's, Datsun Roadsters, 240SX's and my analysis is accurate and supported by numerous dyno charts and butt dyno's from 180hp non-turbo SR20's to full blown 500+hp turbo race cars and everything in between.

They can be made to make crazy torque, but sacrifice driveability because they make that torque at the high end of the rpm range.

[edit]This is what I get for starting a response and getting distracted for an hour... Nismo dives in and steals my thunder![/edit]

Last edited by lww; 05-18-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Externally Wastegated

Lol, yeah the SR is a great motor and all no question about that, but the fuel injectors needed to support the huge hp will be so large that idle quality and low speed driveability will be decreased. A general rule of thumb I was told from JWT was that you can run an injector as large as one cylinder will displace and still have great idle and low speed driveability. Anything more and it will go down, especially when you have 720cc injectors or larger in a 4 cylinder. My friend's Lancer sucks nuts around town until he gets up to speed. The pintle can't be shut long enough to keep from running rich at low rpm. With his straight pipe and aftermarket cams, the HC's are bad enough to make your eyes water.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by lww
[edit]This is what I get for starting a response and getting distracted for an hour... Nismo dives in and steals my thunder![/edit]
Bah... gotta stop daydreaming about Laguna Seca!!!

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
the HC's are bad enough to make your eyes water.
LoL... I know just how that is! And then you reek for the rest of the day.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
Lol, yeah the SR is a great motor and all no question about that, but the fuel injectors needed to support the huge hp will be so large that idle quality and low speed driveability will be decreased. A general rule of thumb I was told from JWT was that you can run an injector as large as one cylinder will displace and still have great idle and low speed driveability. Anything more and it will go down, especially when you have 720cc injectors or larger in a 4 cylinder. My friend's Lancer sucks nuts around town until he gets up to speed. The pintle can't be shut long enough to keep from running rich at low rpm. With his straight pipe and aftermarket cams, the HC's are bad enough to make your eyes water.
I disagree again. I run 1000cc injectors & have no problems with low speed driveability. It's all in the tuning. JWT can't tune an ECU to save their life, so take what they tell you with a grain of salt. I never had any problems with my old 850's either. Power FC tuned with a wideband & FC Datalogit FTW! My 500+ hp SR has no problem at all with all these so-called issues...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

It largely depends on the minimum cycle rate on the injectors. If the minimum cycle rate is greater than the current fuel demand, it's going to run rich at that rpm. This is very common in high flow fuel injectors, which is why tuning for idle and low rpms is so difficult with them and why driveability around town usually suffers.

I'm curious what the brand and model 1000cc and 850cc injector's are that you're running?

I'd also be interested in a dyno plot of your torque curve.

Cheers,
LWW
Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by lww
It largely depends on the minimum cycle rate on the injectors. If the minimum cycle rate is greater than the current fuel demand, it's going to run rich at that rpm. This is very common in high flow fuel injectors, which is why tuning for idle and low rpms is so difficult with them and why driveability around town usually suffers.

I'm curious what the brand and model 1000cc and 850cc injector's are that you're running?

I'd also be interested in a dyno plot of your torque curve.

Cheers,
LWW
I was running Sard 850 sidefeeds & now I'm running Venom 1000 sidefeeds...the Venoms have a bad reputation, but I immediately sent mine (new) to get cleaned & flowtested out the box & haven't had any issues with them. You'll have to wait for me to re-dyno the car, as my old sheet got misplaced in my move from Okinawa. I've been dragging my feet with finishing the swap of all my goodies into my newest 240sx body, due to having 3 project cars at the same time. Once I sell off my Mustang, I'll have some more time available to finish the 240sx.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 AM
The Good Twin

BUMP....

Theres never even been a single L28ET motor for sale in the entire state of Florida since Ive been searching, heck I'm like the only 280ZX owner (thats actually doing something with the car than just driving it) in all of South Florida. All the L28ETs I found are in the Midwest or California

oh look... an 83 ZXT for sale in FL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...38778154QQrdZ1

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM
The Evil Twin

wow! A stock turbo 5-speed with a messed up body. That's perfect!
$500 is a good price too. I think I'll go buy it and then sell it to a Canadian for $2000.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Starting my new business who wants one? I will be importing cars into US from Japan and titleing them here.. this was the test dummy car soon to be up for auction. Have 2 silvias on the way to.
Currently at friends shop.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Über User

prices????

oh, and, COOL BEANS!!!