280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

RB or SR in 280ZX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
We all have varying opinions on this matter... but here's a fact:

Dropping a 4cyl into a Z shows that you like rice more than a Z.

Dropping a Chevy V8 into a Z shows that you will bastardize anything sacred.

Dropping a JZ motor into a Z shows you appreciate Japanese engineering, but not a Z.

Dropping an RB motor into Z shows that you appreciate Japanese engineering, and a Nissan.

Yada yada yada... I'm not saying these are BAD things... not entirely anyway.
Thats not fact. More like narrow minded opinion. Remove the blinders and you shall be enlightened . There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I agree with bleach that if the goal is 200-225hp, L28et is the way to go because of time and cost unless you just want something different. Boost is like crack though. You're gonna want more. It takes a strong will to stay at the 200hp level knowing there is potential for a lot more. You can easily achieve 300 rwhp on stock internals.

edit: Matt K - can you post the dyno graph with the GT2876R. I'm interested in seeing the tourqe curve.

Last edited by veyenyl; 05-17-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by veyenyl
Thats not fact. More like narrow minded opinion. Remove the blinders and you shall be enlightened . There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I guess my sarcastic remark wasn't very obvious. I just love to hear all these guys saying "stick an SR in it! SR's rule! My SR can kill a viper! My SR has 473 trillion hp and I only paid $6k for it."

EDIT... what is REALLY ironic, is now people are putting L28ET's in S13's... hum...

Last edited by NismoPick; 05-17-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Money

I agree with mostly everything all you have said about cost, But truely Im young Im in the ARMY as a mechanic and i know how to make some **** work im not sayin i know everything not even close, but if i want it to work ill get it done or bust! and as far as money goes Ive funded my RB25DET of an enlistment bouns I understand not everyone get 20k handed to them, but like someone said above everyones got a hope and a dream and ive been telling everyone in my Z club back home in SC that im gonna build a Bawls to the Wall RB250ZX and sure enough its finally happening. I would like to thank the army completly for this. If you got a Dream car in your head, and your truely a car person. build it no matter how long it sits in your shop, when its done it will be worth it

Oh and Ive seen people stick 2JZGTE's in the Z cars... thats just as bad as a V8 in my eyes, its like a Trans Sexual Car hehehe but Do what you do guys i know the parts are more accesable and they do put out some power but, thats like takin the Bwals off the car and bolting in a Set of *****, Milk them for what there worth heheh
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 PM

I know it was sarcasm. I was just messing with you too
Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 PM
The Evil Twin

I still think my L20b in the S13 idea rules
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
We all have varying opinions on this matter... but here's a fact:

Dropping a 4cyl into a Z shows that you like rice more than a Z.

Dropping a Chevy V8 into a Z shows that you will bastardize anything sacred.

Dropping a JZ motor into a Z shows you appreciate Japanese engineering, but not a Z.

Dropping an RB motor into Z shows that you appreciate Japanese engineering, and a Nissan.

Yada yada yada... I'm not saying these are BAD things... not entirely anyway.
I agree with this post he he. There is no way I would put a 4 cylinder in my Z. I have owned enough 4 bangers in my time. I will say they are good for mileage and such. Of course until you build them up a lot. But I am also not a fan of a DOHC motor. Those are a biotch to work on. And I like the L28, because it is one of the easiest motors, I have worked on. Anyway I had to say something. lol I just couldn't resist.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 PM

DIY is always cheaper...you can drop pretty much ANYTHING into a Z, especially if you weld your own motor & trans mounts. If you take the time, you can wire it all yourself...about the only things you have to pay for is shortening/rebalancing the driveshaft (if necessary), custom exhaust & intercooler piping. Doing a swap with an SR, RB or many other engines can be done for under $3000 total cost, if you have the means.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Euro Z King

Location: Utrecht The Netherlands where owning a car is a CRIME!!
agreed on that but that goes for building an L aswel .. im the living proof.. and i will have to drag my car to a dyno when it is of jackstands long enough haha!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:16 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

This has all been very entertaining. Z cars need an inline 6.

The SR makes up for a lack of low rpm torque with higher rpm's. Frank's analysis is valid as doing a 5k to 7k rpm street race/drag launch in an SR powered car is not the same as coming out of a corner on a road course and wishing you had more torque at 4k...

Tuning the SR for those higher rpm's also murders it's fuel economy.

It would be unfair to compare a built SR to a built L28ET. Going stand-alone ECU, upgrading the turbo to a modern design and some nice intake & head work and the L28 is gonna be WAY cheaper than a built SR making the same power... in my opinion.

Last edited by lww; 05-17-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Über User

you babies have gone and made me done it, watch and listen and really, REALLY, listen to this guy this video is more listening than watching for entertainment:

url=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8478ae04-8319-4649-8ac5-ded2cf29754c.htm][/url]Click here to see Video

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 05-17-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:23 PM

Actually money is a major issue Mr Bleach, im a full time student and currently jobless so yeah... and of course I have considered the L28ET..only for the past 3 years Ive been searching for one and guess what? nada! I still don't have one! Theres never even been a single L28ET motor for sale in the entire state of Florida since Ive been searching, heck I'm like the only 280ZX owner (thats actually doing something with the car than just driving it) in all of South Florida. All the L28ETs I found are in the Midwest or California, and with shipping thats gonna be way more than $500. Thats why Im looking into alternate engines. I can get a complete RB20DET swap at my local import shop just down the street for $1200, sure the install will be costly and the motor weak but hey its a thought. All that will make me happy is a reliable 250whp. Didn't think this would turn into another engine debate lol, just wanted to know if the SR swap or RB swap was ever done in a S130
Old 05-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Über User

yeah thats all true ^^^^ he just wanted to know if its been done, not really our oppinions on the swap

i blame nismopick for this controversy, he's such a damn trouble maker
Old 05-18-2007, 07:25 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by iluvJDM
Theres never even been a single L28ET motor for sale in the entire state of Florida since Ive been searching, heck I'm like the only 280ZX owner (thats actually doing something with the car than just driving it) in all of South Florida. All the L28ETs I found are in the Midwest or California,
You forgetting that Georgia is near by? Atlanta may be quite a drive for you, but in a weekend you could pick up something nice... like oh, this for $700?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/331755820.html

or this for $2500?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/313063624.html

280zx's are all over the place... just gotta know where to look.

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
i blame nismopick for this controversy, he's such a damn trouble maker
All I heard was "blah blah blah I'm a dirty tramp."
Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 AM
The Evil Twin

If you're a full time student and jobless I think you should worry about buying food not about how much power your car has....

$1200 for the RB20DET is for the engine, not for the 'swap' , right? That seems about right but still on the cheap end for just the complete engine.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Does that RB20 come with a transmission too? If not, you'll have to source one or make an adapter plate for your Z tranny and shorten/lengthen the drive shaft.

Seriously, as a student with no job and presumably no income, where are you coming up with the $1200+install to do the RB20 swap?

Like Bleach said, save your money, beat up on some ricer Civic's if you feel the need. Bust your *** in school, get a good job THEN you'll have no problem paying for that RB26DETT swap into your fully restored Z.

Yes, I've seen SR20DET swaps in S130's and there's about 4 feet of room between the front of the motor and the radiator... I've actually stood in the gap and I'm not that skinny anymore...
Old 05-18-2007, 08:51 AM

^ nope $1200 complete swap lol, Engine and Tranny, ill double check if its with harness and the other stuff too, but again Im just window shopping not planning on dishing out the money yet. Yeah im on summer break right now so thats why im not starving and Im looking for a job currently. And I cant beat up on ricer civics... isnt a stock NA 280ZX a high 17sec car? A crappy stock civic can keep up with me, Iww your D16 can beat me (and you have Vtak!) lol...oh and about the Georgia turbo cars, i don't have room for a 3rd car even if its a part one, still at my parents house oh well free food whoot!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 AM

...only for the past 3 years Ive been searching for one and guess what? nada! I still don't have one! Theres never even been a single L28ET motor for sale in the entire state of Florida since Ive been searching...
You're not looking in the right places. Search car-part.com. There's 5 or 6 available in junkyards in Florida.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

And I cant beat up on ricer civics... isnt a stock NA 280ZX a high 17sec car? A crappy stock civic can keep up with me, Iww your D16 can beat me (and you have Vtak!) lol...
Actually, you'd be surprised how easy it is for a 25 year old 280ZX to beat up on rice'd out Civic DX's with 800lbs of body kit and f'd up tire camber!

P.S.
Big brake kit is going on the Honda this weekend! WooT! 13" on the front and 11" disks on the back!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by veyenyl
You're not looking in the right places. Search car-part.com. There's 5 or 6 available in junkyards in Florida.
^ I checked and called most those places a year ago, if you look on one of the J/Ys sites it hasn't been updated in more than 6 years. When i called, most of the motors were parted out or just plain messed up. The closest one to me is a good all day drive to and back, i may consider it when i find out the condition of the motor.

Iww: Did you imply that the stock 280zx drive shaft can bolt to the RB20 tranny if shortened/or lengthened? That would make things a bit easier!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:18 PM

^ I checked and called most those places a year ago, if you look on one of the J/Ys sites it hasn't been updated in more than 6 years. When i called, most of the motors were parted out or just plain messed up. The closest one to me is a good all day drive to and back, i may consider it when i find out the condition of the motor.

Iww: Did you imply that the stock 280zx drive shaft can bolt to the RB20 tranny if shortened/or lengthened? That would make things a bit easier!

It is true man...I remember there being several L28ET's in Tampa and Pinellas county....I can check engine conditions in this area if you need me to do so. Then you can take it from there.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by lww
Actually, you'd be surprised how easy it is for a 25 year old 280ZX to beat up on rice'd out Civic DX's with 800lbs of body kit and f'd up tire camber!

P.S.
Big brake kit is going on the Honda this weekend! WooT! 13" on the front and 11" disks on the back!

After driving my TURBO...I know what you mean...sweet fastness. As for the comment about your brakes....Sinner.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 PM

ok guys get ready for the sweetest deal EVAR! I just came back from my local engine importer and heres the deal:

RB25DET (not sure if series 1 or 2) with tranny, harness, and ECU...$2500!!!!

haha thats less than civic owners pay for their weak B16s!!! lol

Originally Posted by thxone
It is true man...I remember there being several L28ET's in Tampa and Pinellas county....I can check engine conditions in this area if you need me to do so. Then you can take it from there.
Thanks ill appreciate that, wont have the money for the RB swap for almost a year, so im still open for a Turbo L

Last edited by iluvJDM; 05-18-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by lww
Like Bleach said, save your money, beat up on some ricer Civic's if you feel the need. Bust your *** in school, get a good job THEN you'll have no problem paying for that RB26DETT swap into your fully restored Z.
3rd. save, invest, buy a house before you are 25. then you'll be able to afford to put enything you want in that car a few years down the road.

but whatever you do, dont stick a 4 banger in a z. thats blasphemy.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:01 PM
NisTuner

Originally Posted by Bleach
and even going from an NA L28 to a turbo L28 there is quite a loss in torque. I'm not talking about revving it up and slipping the clutch so you have boost. Just driving around and all of a sudden you floor it...
You mean that there is a big difference in torque in the way that the Turbo just has more where as the N/A has less? I think that's what you were saying.

Although I do agree, like everyone is saying money wise you're just going to pay more. Getting the engine, tranny, and everything set up would cost more than an L28ET. At least you can just drop the L28ET in, you won't have to do much work as far as finding things fabbed, and everything including tranny, etc can just pop right in. So the money you save on just the engine alone can get you enough to just build up a bit more HP. My main wonder is once you hit 300HP, how much more power is going to affect the car without some work. I mean then don't you get into the issues of putting the power to the ground, probably needing a differential to help out with that, improving the body so it will twist less under the torque, bigger breaks, etc.

Also I don't know how you can't find Turbo cars, either that or you're looking for too cheap. I keep finding 280ZXTs popping up for sale here in Ohio. For the most part you'd think they'd be rusted out in a junkyard somewhere.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Über User

i just thought everyone should know im sticking an SR in the 260 this summer....

and....... FIGHT!