280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Racing Stories

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Racing Stories

I just won and lost a race..well there were two races. I pulled out of a parking lot onto a main road...I must have cut off this guy in a blue Pontiac something, Gran Prix I think, cause he shot around me and gunned it, so I gunned it too and walked away from him, I shifted into third and looked over to my left and mind you I was hauling *** at this point and I see this black Bentley fly by me like I wasn't moving.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Über User

lol, sucka!!!!!!! well he did pay like a million dollars for the bently compared to our 500 sooooo..... doesn count lol.

I however, just took my car out on the roads, it just got done raining 3 hours ago so teh roads were i guess..... damp, and yeah she's running good, i loose traction at teh top of first, so i shift early but i still bust em loose in second, i freaking got slideways at 40, i had to let off almost all the way to get her to straighten out, my dad just looked at me like, dumb ***. but i enjoyed it. and the brakes are working good now too. so maybe ill go race a bentley
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Pah! I was beating up on a GT3 Porsche at Thunderhill last weekend with Mazda Miata!

Here's me coming through the cork screw at Laguna Seca and yes, it is that steep!

Street racing is for wussies!
Attached Thumbnails Racing Stories-33.jpg  

Last edited by lww; 06-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Cars crushed in street racing crackdown

Cars crushed in street racing crackdown
By GREG RISLING Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 06/20/2007 02:32:18 PM PDT

Sergio Zavala, 18, looks over his yellow 1993 Honda after his car was crushed... (AP Photo/Nick Ut)Ğ12ğRIALTO, Calif.—Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground.
The cars the teens had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed Wednesday as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets that attract racers.

Nearly 1,000 people—drivers and spectators—have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, but know the underground hobby still thrives.
"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars—usually Hondas or Acuras—are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he's been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last week. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.

Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties—on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars—Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed said they believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."

Sergio Zavala, 18, looks over his yellow 1993 Honda after his car was crushed at Ecology Auto Parts in Rialto, Calif., Wednesday, June 20, 2007. Six vehicles were destroyed in front of their owners Wednesday at an auto graveyard as local law enforcement ramps up enforcement this summer after illegal street racing is suspected or responsible for 13 deaths in Southern California since March. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)
Old 06-23-2007, 08:33 PM

The way this article sounds, it makes the cops look like they are just crushing cars for fun.

Since all you gotta do to crush someones car, you just have to prove they have a stolen part.

Definitely easily done if you have the right resources.
But I feel sorry for the people who get caught for something that isn't street racing and then get in trouble for having bought a used part from an auto dealer.

I mean, it's not the buyers fault if it's an illegal part.

But I'm young, I'm prolly missing something...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by StylusRose
The way this article sounds, it makes the cops look like they are just crushing cars for fun.

Since all you gotta do to crush someones car, you just have to prove they have a stolen part.

Definitely easily done if you have the right resources.
But I feel sorry for the people who get caught for something that isn't street racing and then get in trouble for having bought a used part from an auto dealer.

I mean, it's not the buyers fault if it's an illegal part.

But I'm young, I'm prolly missing something...
I used to get in trouble for having stolen stuff....most of the time cause I stole it But then there were times I had stolen stuff that I bought and had no idea it was stolen...got in trouble for that too. "Dealing in stolen property" as they call it is still a crime...now I don't steal.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:46 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

If you're payin' a fraction of what it should cost, the guy is selling it out the back of his truck and you'll get shanked if you ask for a receipt, it's probably a stolen part...

I have a high degree of certainty that all my parts are legit since I bought them all from "real" dealers. Yes, I paid more, but I don't have to worry about my $$$$ cars getting crushed.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Big Poppa

in toronto, they can crush a car even if it looks fast now, kinda sucks for anyone with a nice car. they say it has the potential to race even if it has a stock motor in it, just based on the fact it "looks fast" stupid ******, they better not do that around here.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Über User

thats ****, they dont even fully track down the legality of purchase, they just say, "oop, that number doens match, crushy crushy." thats just crap. also, if yah steal a part, dont steal somethign that has seriel numbers on it, unless its a dirt bike. lol....
Old 06-23-2007, 11:23 PM
The Good Twin

One time I raced a Viper on my totally awesome rollerblades. I was ahead for a good hundred feet. The dood had no idea I had turbos on my blades! Twin Turbo rollerblades... that's whut up!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Über User

you always make everything into a joke. god your so immature
Old 06-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

you forgot to add the pic that pretty much said it all
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Über User

well, at least they are all honda's. not like there arent still a billion of those to buy.

edit: oh yeah, and yet another reason i will never live in cali, although the weather there rocks, there car laws SUCK! might as well not even have a car, actually, if i lived in cali, i probably wouldnt have a car, id get a crotch rocket and drive the parents cars on rainy days
Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 AM
From NY to AZ

I don't understand how California, the car capital of America, has such retarded vehicle related laws
Old 06-24-2007, 09:21 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Too many retarded drivers married with too many retarded politicians = retarded vehicle laws.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:16 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

hey, somebody go sand off the serials on wades honduh and knock out a taillight .

i kid, i kid.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by entropy31
hey, somebody go sand off the serials on wades honduh and knock out a taillight .

i kid, i kid.

... ...

Rod.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Racing Stories

My first time out on a track was in my fathers fully race prepped Alfa Romeo GTV. I had taken a High Speed Driving School, as required by the club hosting the event. Now I was out on a real track, Buttonwillow Raceway, near Bakersfield, California. We were driving the full course with 19 turns and I was in the novice group.

Of course I thought I was hot stuff, after all I had been speeding in the canyons all my life and never drove off the cliff. I was doing good. I was staying on the track and driving faster than most cars in my run group. There was a Corvette that blasted past me in the straight, only for me to catch him in the turns. Didn't matter how far ahead he pulled me down the straight, by the end of the twisty section I was on him again. There was Mustang 5.0 that could catch me in the straights, but not stay with me in the turns. I kept pulling away in the twisties and he would just catch me at the end of the straights.

Just so that you know, a GTV is in the same class as a Datsun 510.

This was a two-day event, and on Sunday afternoon we had the timed event. I was in Time Trials, unlike my father who had a racing licence and drove in race group. For Time Trials we got five timed laps plus one warm-up and one cool-down.

The instructor for the weekend had said to do the first few laps at a comfortable pace and then pick it up for the last few laps. So that's what I did. I wasn't counting laps, but on what I thought should have been my checkered flag, the starter gave me a one-finger-salute. (No, not that finger.) So, I figured he was telling me this was my last lap. I turn it up, hard. I even passed a few cars. Man-o-man was I flying.

The GTV was getting pretty loose and I was enjoying it. I got to the last turn, a 90 degree left onto the front straight. I entered it faster than ever. Apexed and drifted (4-wheel drift) of to the right side of the track. I was thinking, "I've never been this close to the edge of the track here before."

Then I got half a wheel off into the dirt. "No problem." I thought. Then two wheels off into the dirt. "Well, I'm still point the right direction. I'll just hold this line and ease back onto the track."

I should point out that I'm in the top of third doing about 70 MPH here. So I don't know if all four got off into the dirt or what, but suddenly the back-end started coming around. The next thing I know, I'm back on the track, going backwards.

Words of advice from my driving instructor came to mind just then. Had he said, "Bend over and kiss your *** goodbye." or had he said, "In a spin, two feet in."? I did both! I pushed in the clutch and jumped on the brake. All four tires locked up, sliding backwards across the track, I look in the Wink Mirror and all I can see is stacks of tires, getting closer.

The tires are protecting a cinder block from idiots like me. The block wall separates the hot-pits from the front straight. And the tires in the mirror are growing bigger and I'm not slowing down.

Just when I know I'm going to plow into the tires and the wall, pushing the bumper of my dad's car up into the engine compartment, the cars stops. I dare to turn my head and look. I look in all three mirrors as well. I can't believe it. I must have been less than an inch away from hitting the tire covered wall. I wanted to get out my feeler gauge and measure, but track rules prohibit me from getting out of my car.

I started the engine and drove away. It's a good thing I brought a clean pair of shorts, cause I needed them. The race director was all over me about that. Not about the spin and near miss, but that I had blown the checkered flag. Fortunately for me, I had witnesses that said the starter gave everyone except me the checkered flag.

Later, I asked my Dad how upset would he have been if I had of busted up his car. He said, "That's part of racing. I had to except that before I came out to the track."

That was about six years ago. I've got a lot more track experience since then. Two years ago my brother and I bought a 240z to be our racer.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Only good thing bout stealing is the great deals!!!! Our 1988 corvette convertable 45,000 miles tripple perfect black was 3900.00 At a police auction went to get a truck for our business came home with that. Also always buy a convertable in december on a snowy 26 degree day!! Just sold it for 9700.00 So **** on flipping houses go and flip cars

As for raceing well we just got the vette that spring my pap came up wanting to race it so yea had that I have the fastest car ever additude.
So he showed up in his 1970 electra 225 land barge convertable.

so I pissed myself laughing. We went to a local 4 laner lined them up his took a tire off the ground and hit the ground at 90 mph then I got to 90 a few secs later to see his rear end dive down GONE !!!!
I was in shock Turns out we live 10 miles from yenko honda. 1970 it was yenko chevy buick pontiac. Pap played with them in the 70s when they had drags on old rt 19. Bought the electra new added a "w30" 455 skyrocket turbo 400 tranny and 411 posi. Then added a custom ground cam heads were machined and tri-carbbed. So I get to brag he got a yenko buick and never never disrespect sleepers no matter how non sporty they are.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 007max
I don't understand how California, the car capital of America, has such retarded vehicle related laws
Agreed my friend. I got very lucky back when I was stationed in 29 Palms, California. This story taking place jan 2009, I raced this little souped up Civic in a drag from the dig. I just came back from iraq at the point so I still thought I was invincible . Anyways I smoked this guy off the line and in all out acceleration. I ended up backing off once I had the speedo buried in 5th at about 5500 rpms after a few miles. I was flying.

The guy in the Honda flies past me. I'm sitting there thinking "Stupid Ricer" then I look in my rear view mirror I saw crown vic headlights. Cherries weren't even on yet. I knew I was screwed so I pulled over anyways. He pulles up behind me, gets out and asks me why the hell I was driving so fast. I told him, Honestly I was racing. Just came back from Iraq, and trying to have a little fun. He grabs all the necessary paperwork and it all checks out. Comes back to tell me that this is a bad neighborhood and I can get shot for that. I got pulled over in Desert Hot Springs just outside of Palm Springs. He also told me he should throw me in jail but won't, next time he will, don't be stupid, welcome back to the states Devil Dog.

So I got clocked doing 130 in a 60 and got a verbal warning. I got uber lucky! lol