280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Newbie saying hello!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM

Newbie saying hello!

Hello all from a very windy and wet Scotland. My name is Michael, but it's pronounced Makoo if said slowly and drunkenly, the main way here in Scotland mostly. Not saying we are all slow and drunk, just mostly drunk!!

Anyway not sure where to start other then I really thought I had given up coming home with scraped knuckles and swearing a lot, but guess what, here I go again. After many years of running Hondas, Porsches and Mercs, I then made the huge mistake of buying at Mistsubish GTO TT and finding out the hard way of Mitsubishi build quality, here I am buying my second 280zx tagra in as many months!

I have always wanted a 280 or a 240, and there seemed to be a few coming up for sale here recently, so I took the plunge! The first is an 83 auto that was a complete basket case, requiring a few weeks of welding, and upon receiving it back, I just wasn't happy with the results, knowing it was going to take a lot of lead work or filler to sort out the lines and make her shine! Tucking her away for the last few weeks, another almost basket case came up, but no where near as bad, so guess what...........

She arrived today, and is worse than described but soooo much better than car number one was a few months ago.

Plan? Well as I want a absolutely fully restored car, the 'new' one will be completely stripped, shell sent off to be blasted/stripped, new panels carefully and sympathetically fitted, every component cleaned/repaired/replaced, interior from car one is already away to be cream leathered, leather dash and roof lining, then painted. Not sure what engine to fit, most friends are saying keep it standard, but who knows eh?!!

Car number one is off to be prepped and painted next week, but as I have lost a little faith in her being a rushed job, will be built back up and just sold on. Don't get me wrong, the car is now very very solid and sweet, but knowing underneath is not as concours has just put me off a little.

Would love to post some pictures for you all, but not sussed that out yet!

Will keep you all updated and glad to have found you!

Thanks ,

Makoo
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Welcome to the forum. Being a MacKay but eight generations removed from the homeland it's nice to hear from another Scot with the same passion I spent an night in Glasgow avoiding getting a "Glasgow Kiss"

Looking forward to pictures of your projects - they seem to be pretty rare in your neck of the woods.

Over here a common swap is the L28ET which came stock in the turbo cars of course. Availability in your area might have you searching for another alternative or perhaps sourcing the bits and pieces to convert your NA to a turbo...
Old 03-20-2014, 02:00 AM

Welcome! (still working on translating Michael to Makoo...)

Great project for a great car. Just ask anything here. Takes a while sometimes to get a coherent reply - but the best repliers are here.

We would really like to see some pics for your frame of reference. The more info, the better to help.

Again, welcome!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 AM

Pictures of first 280

Found some photos of the first 280, before, mid and after welding. Off to be prepped ( lots of prep, as you will see!!) and painted now, so more to follow when finished. Will post more of 'new' car later! Calling this one the 'Busty Rucket' This is why much more care and attention needs to be put in from the beginning I think!!

There are hundreds, but wont bore you all with them. The welding :

Old 03-20-2014, 11:46 AM

Thanks guys and thanks for some great reading! Ha, not heard that for a while as dont give or receive too many Glesgay Kisses any more, too old!!

Michael will become Makoo if you down 10 pints of Stella or Leffe Blonde and try to say it, Mah-koo, well thats what my mates all sound like anyway!! LOL

Anyway, I have posted pics of car number one, but they are awaiting review? Must be due to my virgin status of the forum!

Yes, would love to find a nice turbo engine to drop into car number two. I still have my rather expensive twin turbo GTO engine, as could not bear to part with it after 3 rebuilds and 7k!! I wonder if anyone has done that conversion??

Nice one chaps and speak soon.