280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New and in need of some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM

Question New and in need of some help

Hello everyone. I have been checking you guys out for the past few years but have never posted any threads before. I have owned a 1979 and 1980 280ZX for the last ten years. I am the 2nd owner of the '79 and the 3rd of the '80. The '79 is 95% factory original, the only thing I have changed is the wheels and alternator. The '80 is an auto and was a daily driver until it failed inspection due to rust on the flooring in 1999. I left it parked in my driveway until 2003 then decided to call the junkyard to pick it up. However I didn't have the heart to junk it and started to do a total rebuild. I have now spent close to $5K and 5 years of frustration trying to complete this project. I am in the process of piecing together an engine that was dismantled 5 years ago and can barely remember what goes where. I am not sure which is the correct way to install the oil pump/distributor drive gear onto the crankshaft, one side is beveled and the other side is flat. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Über User

search on here we DEFINITELY posted very detailed about this in the past couple months, also get a haynes manual its right in there word for word how to do this, but basically theres a recessed area on the oil pump with a pin sized dot in it and on the oil pump shaft right by the gear theres another TINY pin sized dot line those up and have fun trying to stick it back in the engine without if rotating on you. lol.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ X2 on that. And welcome to ZDriver!

#1... buy a Haynes manual.

#2... this is a recent thread on putting together the timing components: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/help-getting-timing-down-while-assembling-26217/
Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM

Hello friends. Just got home from work and checked to see if anyone had an answer to my problem. The issue is not Timing the engine but the gear on the crankshaft itself, the one that goes between the crank timing gear and the oil thrower. When I started to install it back on the shaft I noticed that both sides were different; one side is not beveled. I need to know which side I should face out against the thrower. Thanks