280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

new guy, new project

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 PM

new guy, new project

watsup everyone... im new to the forum the only forum for zs i was ever on was nico and that was a long while back when i was young and broke and so things didnt work out... im back now and lookin for a new crowd... i have a 280zx with 140k on the motor if i remember correctly with a bad fuel pump and fuel lines that have worn through... the car has been parked for some time and now its time i fulfilled its life... not much can be said besides normal z rust issues >.>... but i thought id start with that i started tonight but ran out of day light but tomorrow ill finish pulling all 4 wheels and plugging, inflating and making them work long enough to drive it to my shop where i can begin building something ^^... L28 with 5 speed completely stock besides 215 tires and ngk wires and new struts in the rear... my plan thus far is to take it to the shop, reman the brake lines, order in new fuel lines, 2 new rear quarter panels, re deck interior, order new 5 lug setup which is gonna rape my wallet i imagine lol and possible carb setup by end of the year... (but doubtful ill have that by the end of the year ><) ill post pictures and etc once i get it to the shop so you guys can have a look see, and a before and after haha and also i would appreciate performance suggestions besides forced induction... shes old and im not personally a fan of forced induction or nitrous etc etc... simple oem replacements that add like 1-5 hp are cool.... not looking to go fast just fast enough oh and once i finish with the fuel lines and rear panels i will buy a full new exhaust system... also just extra info i was planning on ordering most of my rep parts from black dragon because it seems to be the largest z rep parts place there is besides generic performance websites... if anyone has anythoughts regarding anything iv said as far as supplier, performance or general ideas for a badass Z reply ^^... names george and im glad to be driving a z
Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Sounds like you've got a mighty big project on your hands. I've completely restored my 280zx (still haven't painted it...) and it's a long road, but worth it.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM

actually maybe u could help me out with i cant seem to wrap my head around the perfect solution... the frame in my 280 under the front driver and passenger seats has been eaten thru by cancer... what i had planned on doing was disassembling the body and wrapping the frame in steel and spot welding it together or possibly finding a clip at a jdm place (the only one i know about near me is in philly) and trying to find a better frame or one out of a parts car... any thoughts on frame rust... nismo u said u completely restod yours, how bad was the underbody
Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM

im not 100% sure how different the uni is between the s30 and 130 but would this work even though its for s30... http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SBC1B10/30-7314
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
The Good Twin

Yeah, the frame rails are the first thing to go on 280zx's. They literally started rotting the second the car left the Nissan factory. Mine are still in tact enough that I didn't chop them out, I just reinforced the floor pans w/ two pieces of sheet metal (one inside, one outside). The easiest way to repair the frame rails would be to use box steel. Cut them to length with a chop saw & zap them in. Our member SHADY280 has been restoring a 280zx as a race car... he's got that car on a rotisserie: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/shadys-racecar-thread-%2Apics%2A-27327/

And I have a lot of resto pics on my cardomain page... check em out. Here's one of my floor boards: