280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

need some help, first z in my life

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM

need some help, first z in my life

let me start off by sayin whats up to everybody. very new to the z cars so i have no idea what im doing but ive always loved the z's. ok so i bought 280zxt i think the beginning of this year. since i bought it, it ran pretty sluggish but it ran ok. turbo spooled ok but not completely. the guy told me it was rebuilt. it had a leak on oil feed line nut but i have gotten copper washers that are a bit thicker than the oem ones and the leak stopped so felt pretty accomplished there what the dousch bag neglected to mention was that the harmonic balancer was completely loose. i didnt know up until a guy came to look at the car because he was interested in it. when i just touched the balancer nut it just fell off with a little tap. i was extremely pissed to find that out. i dont know how many holes i left in my apt just being so mad. but anyways i managed to pick one up for 50 bucks online but from an n/a z. first question is will this affect my engine/performance/and or turbo. second question. itll crank great, but the car will only idle after the third or fourth attempt to start it, any info on that will be great too. lastly after it idles, when i drive it, if i even step on it halfway down, it will just cut off like its choking or something then i hear a pop noise from the engine, i checked my fuel tank to see if its dirty but it looked pretty clean to me, now i dont know where the fuel pump is located so any info on that will be great to. oh really last question the turbo doesnt spool like it should. when i first got it, it spooled ok but not all the stock boost. it only spooled like up to 5psi i think. and now it only spools up to maybe 1 or half a psi. really need help guys i just wanna drive my z. i plan on passing it on to my little brother if he does what i told him to accomplish because he is in LOVE with the car, cant stress enough how much he loves it so i really wanna fix it guys. PLEASE HELP
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Originally Posted by 280ZX-T 81
first question is will this affect my engine/performance/and or turbo.
Do you mean the pulley being loose, or using an n/a pulley? The n/a and turbo pulleys are the same. A loose pulley will walk out the woodruff key and create a nice groove in the crank.

second question. itll crank great, but the car will only idle after the third or fourth attempt to start it, any info on that will be great too.
Do a full tune up.

lastly after it idles, when i drive it, if i even step on it halfway down, it will just cut off like its choking or something then i hear a pop noise from the engine, i checked my fuel tank to see if its dirty but it looked pretty clean to me, now i dont know where the fuel pump is located so any info on that will be great to.
Check TPS & connector. Do full tune up.

oh really last question the turbo doesnt spool like it should. when i first got it, it spooled ok but not all the stock boost. it only spooled like up to 5psi i think. and now it only spools up to maybe 1 or half a psi.
Have any paperwork for the rebuilt turbo?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Big Poppa

do a tune-up and check the timing. sounds like its retarded too far.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 PM

Z still wont rev past 4k

my z still wont rev past 4k. I relaced the tps and the maf from an 83 turbo as well as the crankshaft pulley. can anyone help me with this problem if not im just selling it.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 PM
The Good Twin

Merged w/ previous thread.

Did you do a tune up?
Read the spark plugs?

What's your location?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Big Poppa

try the head temp sensor on the pass side of the block. ive read that it can cause havoc. whats your fuel pressure, is the cat clogged? whats the timing? all important when diagnosing