280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

metal pieces in calipur make grinding noise, HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:33 PM

metal pieces in calipur make grinding noise, HELP!!!!

My 1982 280zx has had a slight grinding noise since I bought it about a year and a half ago. it started in the right rear brake and now screams in the front left. it sounds like a chain dragging under the car. after taking the caliper apart I found out that the two metal strips that sit inside the caliper are scraping against the rotor. I tried to reset them and the rotor spun fine without a sound, but after a test drive, the moment I applied the brakes they were put back into their grinding position. the noise kind of blinks like morse code when driving straight but when I turn right the noise is loud and constant. I've tried digging through the forums but found nothing. PLEASE HELP!!!! this only attracts negative attention to such a beautiful car.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 PM
The Good Twin

Sounds like you didn't put the clips back in right. Also, have you ever changed your brake pads? It may be time for a new set...
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM

the sound came before I even took the clips out. and I've considered the possibility of new brake pads but the ones on there now are in pretty great condition. I know the sound is from the clips but could that be some kind of signal for getting new pads? and do you know what clips I'm referring too? because I can't even tell what they are for.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM

my 82 has the same problem. PHEW! i thought my bearings or something major had gone bad in my rear-end. what a releif. all else fails just buy new brake rotors and pads all the way around. could never hurt. thats what i'm gonna do to mine. its time for it anyway.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Sounds like you didn't put the clips back in right. Also, have you ever changed your brake pads? It may be time for a new set...
The pad clips or the caliper clips/guards?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM

i think they are caliper clips. they dont touch the pads but they are in plain sight when you take the top of the caliper off. they are just two flat metal pieces that sit one on the top of the caliper and the other lower down. i would have pics but im in college and cant take it apart until i go home for thanksgiving. but one of the clips gets tilted forward slightly when the brakes squeeze and the metal clip edge rubs the thin edge on top of the rotor.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 AM

For me... without actually seeing it I'm having trouble diagnosing the problem.

Anyone else?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Are you talking about the sliders? The things with the rubber boots on them that your bolts go in to? Take those out, clean them up, and apply new grease so the caliper can float.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Crappy pic of 280ZX brakes, i know, maybe you can point out what it is you think the problem might be? I dont think we have a clear understanding of the part you speak of.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:44 PM

metal pieces in calipur make grinding noise, HELP!!!!-0106scc_rally13_zoom.jpg

they are two small, about 1.5" square pieces. after you loosen the bolts behind the caliper and take the top of the caliper off you can see the two pieces. sitting in the spots that I have marked (sorry about my 3d polygon drawing skills) the one on top is tilted forward when the caliper grabs and doesn't reset. sorry about the confusion. I will have multiple pics of the problem in about a week. I have examined the scraping by slowly rotating the wheel and noticed that after the test runs that the metal piece hugs the edge of the rotor. thanks miekatrpi but it isnt any moving part on the caliper. they just sit there like spacers of some kind, not connected to anything moving.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

From the nissan parts catalouge- maybe this?

EDIT-officialy known as a "spring pad"

Last edited by apollo; 11-12-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM

THATS THE PIECE!!!! but there is also one higher up on my brakes. maybe it isnt supposed to be there? I have two of those on each brake on the car. anyone know the purpose of this "spring pad"?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Well, if im reading this right, should only be 2 per caliper. And if i remember correctly, there was 2 per side on mine. And i dont think, if installed properly, they even come close to the rotor. They should be sitting on top of the pads, keeping them in place. Correct me if im wrong guys, but i am pretty sure there should be only 2. You might be dealing with a backyard mechanic, jerry rigged something or other. Maybe its something else that is grinding?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:56 PM

thats what i meant. i have 2 on each caliper. and i'm 95% sure that the spring pads are causing the sound. I've watched all parts of the caliper while turning the rotor before and after moving it and it only occurs after the piece is touching the rotor. also it doesnt make quite the same sound as squeaky brakes. this sounds more like a chain dragging and bouncing under the car, because the edge of the rotor that is being scraped is slightly rough from age unlike the smooth side where the caliper grabs.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm a Registered User!

I thought the ends of the clips would hit the rotor when you had to replace your pads?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 PM

I have an old 280zx brochure and it said something about a distinct sound that signals the driver when the brake pads are low. Can anyone confirm that these spring pads are the signal to change the brake pads?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:17 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Piascyk
Can anyone confirm that these spring pads are the signal to change the brake pads?
The brake pad retainer clips (top and bottom of caliper) have nothing to do w/ the "low brake pad" sound. They don't flex or move sideways as the pads wear, they should stay stationary to hold the pads from coming out of the caliper. The pads themselves should have wear limit pieces that scratch the surface of the rotor when the pads have reached their limit.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM

anti-rattle clips

Thats the standard name for them in my part of the world. When I opened my front brakes one had been missing for who knows how long! Put it back together without it. When I have time I'll replace it. If you want, just pull both clips out, put it back together and drive around the block, if no noise its the clips. They can get bent slightly when you put them in and scrape something! Straighten with pliers or just replace then. Here is an Ebay number for what you need if it is the clips. And they are cheap! Item number: 250186756115
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Thanks bruce, I'll try that out next time. And are you also maybe suggesting driving without them? Have you seen any damage in doing this?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 AM

I would make a point to replace them, they are cheap! The Haynes Manual shows how they fit very well. Just make sure that they are placed correctly and you will have no problems. If you leave them out there is the chance that you will get other strange noises when the pads move around. Might not though, mine is still missing one. I'm not sure what a Z will sound like, most cars I've heard it from make clicking or scraping sounds at low speed or when you apply the brake.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 AM

my car makes a scraping sound as well when i apply the brakes firmly but there is no noise if i apply the brakes gently. i think it is my pads because they haven't been changed for awhile and i can tell they r shot. i think that i need new front rotors as well b/c the brakes pedal shakes a little under hard braking.