280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Man this car rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:08 PM

I'd like to see the dyno sheet on a 350HP 3.1 stroker too. I'm not disputing the fact it made that power, but I seriously doubt that the motor has power on demand. The mods necessary to get that thing to breath enough to make those high HP numbers are the same mods that are going to kill low RPM velocity. Which means you lose the bottom end just the same as you do with a turbo. I'd be willing to bet a 2.8 turbo pushing 350HP with a properly sized turbo would be more responsive then a 3.1 non turbo stroker. The 2.8 turbo motor wouldn't need any modifications to the motor itself to make those kinds of numbers. So there is no powerband movement. The porting and cam alone on the stroker are going to push the powerband up. I'm not trying to argue against the stroker here in this point: I understand that some people, like Shady, like the idea of making massive power without the aid of forced induction. But we're not talking a 350ci torque monster here. It's still ONLY 3.1 liters. The powerband is going to be much more limited then a big V8.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
The difference between Shady and wildmans points and what Thxone was asking is two different things. Thxone was after the most cost effective power gains. If someone wants to spend the money to do the stroker and understands what they're getting into then by all means I've got nothing negative to say about it. But if you want the best bang for the buck then you cant really beat forced induction.

True. I am looking for the most "cost effective" way to get the power I want. I will agree with J on this that the turbo will be 100% less of a headache and will be cheaper now that I have seen the prices involved, the power numbers and have read on some different reliability/drivability, availability and fuel economy issues or combination of with all 3, L28ET, V8 and Stroker. Like I said before, I have had two turbo powered vehicles...though not the most powerful of the vehicles I have owned they were by far the most fun. There is just something about a turbo when it spools and you get pushed into your seat with ever increasing force...and those were factory Garret T3's, my 1987 Shelby charger running stock boost and my now destroyed by the last hurricane season 1988 Ford Ranger 5 speed w/1986 Thunderbird Turbo coupe engine at 14 psi. R.I P.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by thxone
...my 1987 Shelby charger running stock boost...
Thats a fun car I've seen many a "would be racer" put to shame by those cars. Never owned one myself but one of my close friends swears by them. He eventually started pushing more power out of his, but even stock it shamed quite a few ricers. It is one of those great sleepers
Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Thats a fun car I've seen many a "would be racer" put to shame by those cars. Never owned one myself but one of my close friends swears by them. He eventually started pushing more power out of his, but even stock it shamed quite a few ricers. It is one of those great sleepers

They do rock, for some reason they were rated from the factory at 175hp but it is widely known that they produced well over 220+hp stock. The reason I bought mine was because it scared me. I had never driven a turbo in my life and the guy at the lot said to hold onto the wheel if I got on it...I blew him off. I didn't get on it till I was almost back to the lot and to that point I thought Ehh, it drives ok. Well I took a left onto an off camber 4 lane road and when I got going almost straight I hit second and floored it...one hand loosely on the wheel... it slamed me into the seat, pulled me all the way into the next lane and I needed new underwear after that!! So I bought it and loved it every time it spooled!!! I did think it was broke because of the PSHHhhhhht! It was the only aftermarket part on the car.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM

While Ya'll have the delema of Hwo to work the Strait 6. I have the delema of Ranger Or Z. I can acheve More power with ranger for cheaper. Both Ranger and Z produce smae amount of power stock. Both right at 145HP Z is 2.8 Inline 6. Ranger is 2.3L Inline 4. The ranger motor Is capable of 300HP with add on of turbo with stock pistion's and rods, 5-7PSI. With Forged Pistions, and Rods, I can push a higher PSI, nearly 20+PSI. and push 400HP. The Ford Ranger (01-07) Mazda 2.3L shares the same block as there turbo motor's. So my delema is. What get's the HP. Z or Ranger. a 400HP 4 banger in a Ranger could be a Very Fun thing. Then again. A 400HP Turbo Z is (from what i have heard) Very Fun as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
While Ya'll have the delema of Hwo to work the Strait 6. I have the delema of Ranger Or Z. I can acheve More power with ranger for cheaper. Both Ranger and Z produce smae amount of power stock. Both right at 145HP Z is 2.8 Inline 6. Ranger is 2.3L Inline 4. The ranger motor Is capable of 300HP with add on of turbo with stock pistion's and rods, 5-7PSI. With Forged Pistions, and Rods, I can push a higher PSI, nearly 20+PSI. and push 400HP. The Ford Ranger (01-07) Mazda 2.3L shares the same block as there turbo motor's. So my delema is. What get's the HP. Z or Ranger. a 400HP 4 banger in a Ranger could be a Very Fun thing. Then again. A 400HP Turbo Z is (from what i have heard) Very Fun as well.
From the time I had with my turboed Ranger I can tell you while it was fun it was also dangerous. I can't count how many times under light boost on wet day I would do a 180 around even wide turns simply because of the lack of weight in the rear. The stock Ranger had 4cyl/5speed/3.73:1 rear gear, add the turbo engine and it now becomes a problem in the rain...dry weather it was awesome. A turbo truck I would not do again if it was to see wet weather at all. It would kick sideways on wet roads in 4th gear under light boost!!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:42 PM

I know what you mean. She has swaped ends with me before. Ranger's are fun to drive. but are so damn light in the rear it's unreal. But even my N/A ranger is a blast. And even for being light in the rear, they can hold a corner better then most ppl think. Go around a long banked corner in 3'rd power band. you can bark 4th . I laughed so damn hard that day.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Big Poppa

i totally agree with the bang for your buck thing, i just love n/a's. and i do want to have a turbo car one day. and dang right itll be a 280zx. that make me have 3!!! n/a car, racecar (n/a), turbo car. what a dream i have. 17psi of boost should be ultimate! 500hp here i come
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by veyenyl
I have the solution to satisfy both camps. Build a turbo stroker
It's been done. Still, in the end, not worth the effort.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:53 PM

Get it while it's hot. 3.1L forged pistons.
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...114#post142114