280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

This Site Rocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Doesn't post much...

This Site Rocks!!!

I just want to say how much this site rocks!!!

There are alot of enthusiast sites out there, but this one is by far the coolest. I have learned so much about "Z Culture" and the cars in the time I've been hanging around here. Everybody is cool... there's always helpful info... We have true Guru's like Bleach and IWW... It's just awsome! I don't know about everybody else, but I'm having way too much fun here. It's also cool that the 280ZX portion of the site is the largest and most active. Keep it up guys!

Rod.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I just want to say how much this site rocks!!!

There are alot of enthusiast sites out there, but this one is by far the coolest. I have learned so much about "Z Culture" and the cars in the time I've been hanging around here. Everybody is cool... there's always helpful info... We have true Guru's like Bleach and IWW... It's just awsome! I don't know about everybody else, but I'm having way too much fun here. It's also cool that the 280ZX portion of the site is the largest and most active. Keep it up guys!

Rod.
ditto, I also realized that the 280ZX portion IS the most active! I wonder why that is???

Not complaining!!

Everyone is awesome here, we've got a good group of people, and thankfully 'NO SMARTASS'. That's what ruins others forums. Seriously, when someone new shows up, we thank/welcome/congratulate them, what if everyone was like "OMG, NOOB" after every post? I would NEVER come here. And some of these other Z sites aren't THAT bad, (i think because we all have a general understanding that if you Drive a Z, your a cut above the rest anyway ) but they are not NEAR as courteous, or helpful..

That's just me. Zdriver does rock!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:25 AM

It's cause 280ZX's rule! They're the most fun to mess with. This place gets wilder by the day, and the knowledge base here is great. Check Rod Moyes also for many hard to answer questions (hope you don't mind, Rod). Welcome to 280ZX heck!

Carl's Z

PS: Check out Rod's rims. They RULE!!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM

I came here to check out the Z's before i bought one. After the first time i came here. i never had a dought, I am buying a 280ZX. even though mine has a back seat, it is still a Z. I can get my hands on a 1970 240. but just ain't got the money to get both. And the inter on the 240 is just shot. you look where your feet go on driver side. and you can do the flinstone.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
The Evil Twin

When the website was redesigned, the 240Z/260Z/280Z/280ZX section was all together. After a couple thousand posts, the 280ZX section was separated and started at zero while the 240Z/280Z section kept the post count. Now the 280ZX section has surpassed them! Wooohooo!

Last edited by Bleach; 08-01-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i agree.. this is by far the best Z website for the 280ZX.. almost all the other Z sites treat the 280ZX as if it were the bastard Z child..
Old 08-01-2005, 01:52 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

No way the 280zx was the last great original nostalgic Z made! And yeah this website does rock, and 280zx's rule! And all the people on here are cool, for the most part!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
all the people on here are cool, for the most part!
ya, most of them. Skully and icice need to post more often these days!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

ever since i got my new job its a lot harder to sneek on the internet.. guess thats why i havent been posting as much as the good old days.. but trust me.. im not leavin here anytime soon.. by far my 280 is my favorite Z ever.. =)
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Hey Ice!

We've totally missed you dude! I haven't seen you at any meets either. What're you doin' now that's got you so busy?

Just tryin' to make a good first impression at the new gig?

Cheers!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Doesn't post much...

It's funny, the only time I get the impression from someone that they feel as though the 280ZX is the "red-headed step child Z" is from the rare person who owns another generation Z car. Even then, they usually give it proper respect in most regards. What I have also noticed however, is that random people on the streets, or in parking lots... LOVE the 280ZX. The car sparks up countless conversations everywhere it goes. When driving, people in other Z's... no matter the generation always give the nod of recognition, or the wave, or the thumbs up. The only ones that sometimes don't seem to be as friendly... are the 350Z drivers. A lot of them are way cool, while other's just flat out ignore the 280ZX or even give disapproving looks. Even that is rare though. I get guys in 2nd gen 300ZXTT's giving me props all the time, and that car just flat out kicks ***! 99.9% of Z people are just plain cool. I think the .1% that isin't either had a bad Z experience, was "handed down" a Z that they never wanted, or... are just flat out lame.

Thanks Carl for the props... I'm always happy to offer what ever knowledge I have gained from many years as a Z owner to anyone who needs it.

Rod.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 AM

i agree with rod. Z's get noticed EVERYWHERE, especially when they r bright yellow (i gotts get those pics for u guys to check out) pretty much every z owner gives you props for the car. just the other day i had a 350z dude and his passenger go nuts and start yelling ZED! out the window, lol
i have had quite a few random ppl just walking accros the street and give you the thumbs up and stuff, not only that but i find drivers of older cars from the same era and earlier seem to love the cars too.
even my gf has fallen in love with the car, and she is by far the most picky person iv eva met, i should see her shopping for shoes! lol
Old 08-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
It's funny, the only time I get the impression from someone that they feel as though the 280ZX is the "red-headed step child Z" is from the rare person who owns another generation Z car. Even then, they usually give it proper respect in most regards. What I have also noticed however, is that random people on the streets, or in parking lots... LOVE the 280ZX. The car sparks up countless conversations everywhere it goes. When driving, people in other Z's... no matter the generation always give the nod of recognition, or the wave, or the thumbs up. The only ones that sometimes don't seem to be as friendly... are the 350Z drivers. A lot of them are way cool, while other's just flat out ignore the 280ZX or even give disapproving looks. Even that is rare though. I get guys in 2nd gen 300ZXTT's giving me props all the time, and that car just flat out kicks ***! 99.9% of Z people are just plain cool. I think the .1% that isin't either had a bad Z experience, was "handed down" a Z that they never wanted, or... are just flat out lame.

Thanks Carl for the props... I'm always happy to offer what ever knowledge I have gained from many years as a Z owner to anyone who needs it.

Rod.
agreed, my ZX starts a ton of conversations. I've had a few guys stop by my office just to talk about it. A lot of the business I do is with LTL Truck lines, and every driver has a story about one.

As far as the 350Z drivers go, I used to own one (sold in Feb 2005), and half of those guys are a different breed of Z drivers. Truthfully, I'd say that more than half have no idea of the Z Legacy. I loved that 350Z I had, but it just can't compare to any others. I would rather drive any Z (except the Z31, sorry!! ) than a 350Z. I feel like the 350Z is not so much geared towards Z enthusiasts, but more towards guys who MIGHT buy an Eclipse, or MIGHT buy a Crustang. To me, it's nothing more than a 2 door Maxima . I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but to me, it shouldn't carry the Z title..
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by DynamicJ
To me, it's nothing more than a 2 door Maxima . I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but to me, it shouldn't carry the Z title..
Back in 1981 Nissan had a magazine ad comparing the new Maxima and 280ZX. They basically listed the Maxima as a 4-door Z car because it had a simular engine and suspension.

A Maxima is quite a bit different being FWD and a large 4-door.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 AM

I love this web site. I received a lot of support when my '80 blue and silver Z was stolen. That meant a lot to me!!! Man I loved that car. Since then I bought a '83 silver with black interior... a looker for sure... I've done the vacuum hoses, fixed exhaust leak, redone the complete cooling system, fixed the A/C, it was a vacuum line, digital clock, egr valve, and tune up. My Z is running GREAT. With lots of help and good advice from all. This is Z best Z web site on the planet. Bar NON.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 AM

Alarms and kill switches. big help.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:51 AM

All that and full coverage insurance!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:11 PM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by Bleach
Back in 1981 Nissan had a magazine ad comparing the new Maxima and 280ZX. They basically listed the Maxima as a 4-door Z car because it had a simular engine and suspension.

A Maxima is quite a bit different being FWD and a large 4-door.
well to be fair those 1st gen maximas were RWD and had the same L28 engine as your Z

ask me how i know my name isn't Max as the username might suggest
Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Doesn't post much...

Our 280ZX's were built on the same platform as the Maxima (or 810 if you prefer). That's one reason why the 240/260/280Z guys tend to not like the ZX very much. They think it's "Too Big". So, if ever their was a Z you could accurately call a "2 door maxima"... We are driving it. Just the same, I still think it's got the sexiest body lines of any generation Z. I think the pinacle of the Z was reached with the '96 300ZXTT. That was a true "SuperCar". It's also my next project. My 280ZX is the cool one, the 300ZXTT will be the fast one.

Rod.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:42 AM
The Evil Twin

The Maxima had the L24, but that's close enough.
Wasn't the Datsun 810 a solid rear axel car? I think the newly redesigned 4 wheel disc, independant suspension Maxima was 1981+ but since the 280ZX platform came out in 1979, it would be the first of its type. If anything, the Maxima was based off the 280ZX suspension. I had an 84 Maxima once. It was pretty beat up but it drove. Those Maximas also had the only 4-speed auto that bolts to the L-series engine. Woot! Overdrive...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Doesn't post much...

About a year ago, I was reading an article in Autoweek about the '79 280ZXR. They pointed out the fact that the new "ZX" series shared some or most of it's underpinnings with the Maxima. Still, the two cars are very different, and Bleach is correct about engine and suspension. Having never really checked out an 810/Maxima from those years myself, I can't say exactly what the interchangeables are. I'm sure though that the added width and length are strong clues. Either way, the ZX was a much more refined car than it's predecessor. All Z's are great in their own way.

Rod.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 PM
The Evil Twin

Ok, so maybe the 1977-80 Datsun 810 did have the independant suspension with 4-wheel discs. Only the Wagon versions had a solid rear axel.
The 1981 Maxima had the voice warning system before the 280ZX in 1982-83. I think the 81 Maxima might have been the first car ever to have that type of system.