280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

injector hose help!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 AM

injector hose help!!!!!!!!!!

I have what looks like an aftermarket chrome fuel.... with the pressure regulator in place, it pushes the front half of the fuel rail forward so the injector hoses on # 1-2-3 are in a bind about an 1/2 in. off center. the #1 injector don't even have a injector lower holder or screws, & the #2 is leaking fuel where the hose meets the injector, it also has hose clamps there, the book says no clamps needed???? I hope someone did not damage the injector?? so do I have to take the hole fuel rail off to deal with the first two injectors. also the fuel reg. is not hooked up to the vac. hose, it has a screw in it ... whats up with that ???? also what size & type of fuel hose 83-turbo. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO HANDLE THIS.... AN HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE...... need help does any body have this type fuel rail. need help hermultra
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 AM
The Good Twin

I don't think that's an aftermarket fuel rail... looks pretty stock to me (maybe from a diff intake manifold). Is the rail in two pieces? I can't tell from your pics (take some better ones zoomed out from the left side of the engine bay) but it looks like something may be in the way of letting it sit right. And you're missing an injector mount on #1.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Über User

lol, this was difficult to read, and thats a perfectly normal fuel rail, its not chrome, its just not dirty. prolly been cleaned up or just replaced. also, the hoses are kinked and yeah your missing an injector perch/spacer which has to do with alot of the sealing. the fuel rail is normally mounted to the head/intake manifold via a view nuts, however they arent needed, so if thats whats holding the fuel rail in place so the lines are kinked, just un-do it.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
NisTuner

My guess is first of all the #1 injector holder would help to align it better, and then my guess is the person who put it in probably tried to put the rail in with all the injectors connected to it. It's a pain to do it this way, what I do is I test fit the injectors on the rail using some wd-40, then slide them off the rail just to help the hoses slide onto the rail better, I then put all the injectors in the car, get them mounted correctly so the wiring harness will reach the injectors without problems then put the rail in and then work the hoses onto the rail, it's a lot easier this way.

These are either replacement injectors or when the rail was pulled to be cleaned, the previous owner replaced the injector hoses, which would require removing the hose from the factory crimp at the base of the injector and using hose clamps.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM

Question

ok sorry for the large photos I havent got that pic. thing down yet!!!!!!!! so any way yes the fuel rall is in two pieces, that might be part of the probblem. they might have put to long of a piece of hose conecting them together so that stands to reason why injectors 1-2-3 dont line up.... so with that said where do I get a injector holder & screws that i'am missing??? what is the proper size hose's???? and do I need to use clamps @ both ends of the injector hose ??? also what all do I need to unhook or remove, to make the job easyer??? also guys why is the vac. line to the fuel pressure regulator not hooked up and pluged with a screw ??? this sucks I only drove the Z about 50 miles sence I bought it. I was planning on going to this big car/motorcycle show @ a local airport this weekend, it would have been nice to take the Z but I can always take the bike... THANKS HERMULTRA
Old 02-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Über User

wow..... lots of questions you can answer yourself there. lol. the hose size, take to the auto shop they can figure it out FAST. the fuel pressure reg might be broke, might just be a dipshit PO that thought with out that VAC line it looked cleaner, but hook it up you probably have a stunble in RPM's when accelerating from that. we dont know what screws your missig do you? find 1 of each type of screw/or w/e you think your missing take it to a napa or hardware store, and have them figure it out. ( you need to tell them how many though ) and yeah get all new injector holders/perches and injector seals (o-ring gaskets) they should be sold as a kit from thezstore.com and i believe even autozone can get them. you should be able to tell if you need the clamps on both ends if the hose seperates from one end or not. unhook the fuel rail from the head? all the way around? thats it, nothing really makes this job easier, its easy enough as it is. one of the easiest fuel injector setups ive seen in my life.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by hermultra
ok sorry for the large photos I havent got that pic. thing down yet!!!!!!!! so any way yes the fuel rall is in two pieces, that might be part of the probblem. they might have put to long of a piece of hose conecting them together so that stands to reason why injectors 1-2-3 dont line up.... so with that said where do I get a injector holder & screws that i'am missing??? what is the proper size hose's???? and do I need to use clamps @ both ends of the injector hose ??? also what all do I need to unhook or remove, to make the job easyer??? also guys why is the vac. line to the fuel pressure regulator not hooked up and pluged with a screw ??? this sucks I only drove the Z about 50 miles sence I bought it. I was planning on going to this big car/motorcycle show @ a local airport this weekend, it would have been nice to take the Z but I can always take the bike... THANKS HERMULTRA
One big thing here....Your fuel pressure regulator, should always have a vaccum line to it. You could actually damage your injectors. As what I have heard. I believe a majority of the vaccum lines are 7/16. Not for sure though. I could find out for you. But yeah definately get a line on the regulator, and see if it is any good. If not purchase another one.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 AM
eff good grammar

just a hint on the photos, if your takin pics up close look for a litle flower on the settings of your camera some place, its for the macro (up close) pictures and should be able to focus when your closer to things.

edit:
wait a minute, your from maxima.org arent you?

Last edited by Niku-Sama; 02-11-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Big Poppa

that rail is totally not a stock rail. someone prolly didnt like there old one and tried to retrofit a diff car one on to it. that is why the first 3 dont line up. your injector hoses are also to short. the po was prolly trying to make it look nicer, and came up with that. if the hoses were longer it may help the kink situation. try and find a aftermarket properly spaced rail, or a stock rail and install that, you will be much happier, and so will your car.