280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

help strange problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:51 PM

help strange problems

okay so i have an 83 280zx automatic 150,000 miles i bought about a month ago ran great. 2 days ago i started it up and it wouldnt rev past 3k and had low power. so i drove down the street and it just stalled out i had to push it into a parking spot and left it overnight because it was getting late. so i comeback and start her up it idles fine for about a minute and then stalls out and if i try to give it any gas it stall out right away, i know it may be the tps but i dont know where its located the car has new plugs,wires,cap,and rotor and compression is 180 across the board. i am fairly handy with cars but i have never worked on a car that doesnt have a self diagnosing obd or does it from what ive read it doesnt any sugesstions as what it could be thanks in advance
Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Indeed check the TPS and CHTS.

The TPS is located on the throttle body (left side... notice the plug). Disconnect plug, check for moisture & corrosion, clean & re-install.

Same procedure for CHTS (located on left side of cyl head between spark plugs 5 & 6).
Old 12-27-2009, 01:38 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by lemonZ
okay so i have an 83 280zx automatic 150,000 miles i bought about a month ago ran great. 2 days ago i started it up and it wouldnt rev past 3k and had low power. so i drove down the street and it just stalled out i had to push it into a parking spot and left it overnight because it was getting late. so i comeback and start her up it idles fine for about a minute and then stalls out and if i try to give it any gas it stall out right away, i know it may be the tps but i dont know where its located the car has new plugs,wires,cap,and rotor and compression is 180 across the board. i am fairly handy with cars but i have never worked on a car that doesnt have a self diagnosing obd or does it from what ive read it doesnt any sugesstions as what it could be thanks in advance

Funny, that happened to me too. I'm mildly angry about it. I bought it, paid cash up front, and then about a month later i got the same problems you did. Its almost obnoxious, this isnt the first post like this i've seen, i've seen about 5 or 6 since i joined here back in (who knows when) and no one has followed up. I hope they don't have my problem of "while its apart lets add this" syndrome.

What does TPS stand for btw? And what does it look like. Is it the thing that looks like a fuel injector connector?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Funny, that happened to me too. I'm mildly angry about it. I bought it, paid cash up front, and then about a month later i got the same problems you did. Its almost obnoxious, this isnt the first post like this i've seen, i've seen about 5 or 6 since i joined here back in (who knows when) and no one has followed up. I hope they don't have my problem of "while its apart lets add this" syndrome.

What does TPS stand for btw? And what does it look like. Is it the thing that looks like a fuel injector connector?

The TPS. Is the throttle position sensor. And it does have a fuel injector plug on the top of it. And it is located on the side of the throttle body. (pointing to the left side of the engine bay.)
Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WildmaN
The TPS. Is the throttle position sensor. And it does have a fuel injector plug on the top of it. And it is located on the side of the throttle body. (pointing to the left side of the engine bay.)
What would be wrong with it, cause i've taken almost everything apart and gotten the crap out of the crevasses.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM

thanks for the responses everyone i havnt had a chance to work on the car yet but im gonna be workin on it tonight, and Wangandevils i noticed you have 85 prelude i also have a 2nd gen prelude 87si 2.0 as my daily
Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM

update

so i checked out the car and it couldnt get i couldnt get it to start it would fire up and die right away, i checked the tps and chts they looked clean i kept tryin to start it for an hour but nothin then i checked the maf sensor or air flow meter i stuck a screwdriver in the flap to keep it full open and the car fired right up but it is realy ruff and undrivable so my question is should replace the maf? do they fail often? does my cars problems sound typical of bad maf? thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Taste My Rainbow

go to www.xenons130.com and download the free FSM and the fuel injection bible. Both of those will help you immensly.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

what you can do is open up your AFM (not MAF kind of different) and see if the carbon track is indeed touching as it is open. Then grab a simple voltometer and test to make sure the resistance is reading. If you want some details I did a AFM testing you can search for the thread...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Update

ok guys i got my hands on a multimeter and downloaded a manual from
xenons130 and read how to test the afm and im a bit confused it shows a pic of the afm and a 35 pin connector and says to test resistence between 33 and 34 but my afm only has 4 pins what do i do
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM

I doubt this is relevant, as you do seem to have an afm problem. But my intermittent failures turned out to be an efi relay going bad. Being as there doesn't seem to be a reasonably priced replacement available, I've been using a jumper wire to run it for months now. If you don't hook the jumper up, it WILL start, run for a few seconds and die. That's one of your symptoms, so I thought I'd mention it.