280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Heater control valve confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by icice9
thats the capillary tube that i ended up cutting off., i cut it back as far as i could reach it.. im not sure what that tube did.. the replacement should work fine.. just have to mount it on different mounting points.. you will have to adjust the push /pull cable once you install it..

heres the link to the original post. https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...roblems-22982/
I am just glad it worked for you and your A/C is working because summer is hot here and I need the cold air. I ordered the part and its on its way. I am glad that this valve is usable on A/C units and not only the the No A/C cars.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by icice9
thats the capillary tube that i ended up cutting off., i cut it back as far as i could reach it.. im not sure what that tube did.. the replacement should work fine.. just have to mount it on different mounting points.. you will have to adjust the push /pull cable once you install it..

heres the link to the original post. https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...roblems-22982/
I checked the tube and the old water ****. I noticed the copper tube went to a small piston looking device and i pulled the tip and noticed it would close the valve. My guess is if that copper tube got too hot it would expand something (gas maybe?) in that piston and would automatically close the valve.

My guess is since our part doesn't have that anymore now we have to manually pull the heat back if we feel its too hot in the car.

Here are some pics of the new regulator installed in my 82 280ZX in case some other owners get the same issue.

The regulator:

Name:  6JQoTOY.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  891.2 KB

The new one with the wire for cold/hot installed and in both close and open positions, so you can see it works well:

Name:  ELJANsB.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  1.50 MB

Name:  zUD7eU6.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  1.54 MB

Some might still have the radiator in the car for the A/C. I had mine flushed out because I wanted to clean my car and also open that rad compartment because it was full of dust/dirt since this car doesn't have a filter for the fresh air that comes in the car. But as the guys have previous said, you can take this regulator out without having to do what I did.

Last edited by MetalMakkusu; 07-11-2015 at 06:54 PM.