280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

A few more issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:06 PM

clean the battery contacts with water and baking soda
Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
NisTuner

So far everything seems really good. My car starts up quickly every time now. My idle is smoother, everything just seems to be smoother the bit of odd hesitation that I'd get when my boost gauge would read right around 0 seems to have gone away, my boost just seems to pull the car along quicker than before where I would be in boost, but it just felt like the power was kind of lacking.

Everything was going fine, then the one day it seemed off, and I found out one of the vacuum lines on the vacuum pump had a tear in it, so I fixed that and now it seems to be running real good.

Also for the vacuum line that runs from the vacuum pump into the cabin, how hard is that to replace? I doubt it's cracked or has a hole in it inside the cabin, but I was wondering should I need to replace it, is it easy enough to do? I don't want to pull it out then find out I need to get behind the dash or something to hook it back up.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Big Poppa

i found on of the actuator pots in my car had a crack in it, i could here it, but only sometimes, to i changed the settings and it would go away, so i found the one where it made noise, and pressed on each one, turns out it had a huge crack in it, and it was vaccuming my carpet!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM
NisTuner

I cleaned and re grounded my ECU wires the other day. Well my car seemed to be running better than ever, also my Factory boost gauge was suddenly reading a lot more closely to my Autometer boost gauge. Anyway a day or so later I noticed the factory gauge was reading lower again. So I was checking the vacuum. I pulled off the line that goes to the Boost Sensor, and connected it to my vacuum gauge. It was reading 15inHG at idle.

If I hooked up my vacuum gauge to this source in the green box, it would read 20inHG at idle.

So I'm wondering what is causing vacuum to be lost? Any ideas? Could the little metal tubing that the boost gauge line runs off be possibly leaking?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:28 AM
NisTuner

Alright...I'm kind of at a loss at the moment, so far I've checked all the lines that go to the VCM and from the VCM to the AFM boot that runs from the AFM to the Turbo.

The vacuum lines that come off the manifold all read 20inHG at idle, and the big line that runs from the VCM to the AFM boot reads 20inHG at idle, but once I plug it into the AFM boot I suddenly lose about 4-5inHG of vacuum. I went through and checked all the lines coming off of that there were no cracks, or leaks from what I could see. I pulled out the boot, and there were no cracks, holes, or anything. So I'm at a loss as to why I'm losing vacuum. I put everything back together and made sure to make it as tight as possible, so maybe that's my issue and I just didn't have one of the hoses clamped down right.

Any suggestions as to where my vacuum is going? Also does that line that runs from the VCM to the AFM boot need to be there? If it was plugged off would that cause a running issue?

Ok I noticed something. My vacuum seems to vary a little from time to time, and my autometer boost gauge will read a little bit lower vacuum than when the car is running warm. Is that right, I mean even though the car is bypassing the throttle body through the air regulator when cold, would it technically have a little less vacuum, I'm thinking that might be my hint as to where I'm losing my vacuum.

Last edited by duowing; 09-03-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:32 PM
NisTuner

Ok, I don't know if anyone can help me here, but here goes. I went and replaced almost all the lines that run from the Air Regulator that that little cross piece that runs to the AAC, and into the manifold. This hasn't seemed to make any difference in my factory boost gauge. It's weird. Also the connections at the charcoal canister, which of them are supposed to receive vacuum? For some reason I swear I pulled off a line from the charcoal canister and used it to put seafoam through my car and now I'm not feeling vacuum, maybe that's where my problem lies? Does anyone happen to have a diagram of how vacuum runs in these cars? If so that would be helpful.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 PM
NisTuner

I don't even know if this is a problem, but I figured I'd throw it in here. My car seems to be running real good. I don't know if I was just expecting more power from a completely stock car or if I'm running a little odd.

Few concerns:

From a stop, sometimes the car seems to be real jumpy and just go pretty quick, and other times it doesn't jump as much, still goes fine, but just a touch slower it feels like. Could this be related just to the fact that it's a turbo setup or the flapper door?

My idle seems to vary most of the time when I come to a stop my idle will sit around 1000 or just below it then slowly lower, for a little while there my idle would always end up resting a little lower at a stop, maybe a slight vacuum leak.

While idling the car sometimes sounds like it has a slight miss, or almost like the engine sound is loping? Kind of like if someone was tapping the accelerator and letting off, only it's just a real small difference. If this isn't a normal occurrence with other people's Zs I'm wondering is it possible that the TPS is a little wacky and maybe not sending a constant signal? Although when I put a timing light to check my timing, my mark was sitting pretty much dead still at 24* before TDC.

Any insight is greatly appreciated as usual. I think my car's probably fine, but I never know, and I imagine once I get my mallory ignition, blaster coild, and Z31 ECU swap all done it should be a big difference at least from what I've read.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Ruff Ryder

check you ad in the marketplace.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 AM
NisTuner

Looking under the hood it looks like my valve cover might be leaking, it was wet along the edge on the drivers side near where the intake manifold meets the head, I wiped it down, and Ill have to see if it gets wet there again.