280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Can she start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 AM

Can she start?

Today is the first time i have tryed to start my car after I replaced a few thing's, and got motor back togeather. As soon as i turn the key to kick starter she tryes her damndist to fire up. but only for a few sec's. then it goes to just normal cranking with no atempt to fireup. I have to wait a min, then try again. same thing. It atempts to fire up, then just cranking.she is still backfireing pretty bad, but at least she's trying to start. I tryed to adjust the Dizzy, some small advancement's but still no fireing up.
I left the hose off the botom of the T/B off to releave the presure of the backfire's off the air flow sensor. it help's but i see what's it's shooting out, and it's black gunk.
I have worked hard and long on this motor, and i ain't ready to give up on it. So any sugestion's?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Did you check your spark plugs again? Also I know this sounds lame, but check your Air Flow meter plug, for corrosion, bad contact, or basically unplugged. Just go around and check any other sensor plugs you have. And make sure the contacts are clean. Maybe even your vaccum lines. Make sure they are soft not brittle, and no cracks. Also make sure you are getting fuel too. Maybe you are not getting enough to start with. That is all I can think of for now. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:15 AM

when i did the work on the motor, i Cleaned all ground's and contact's. I am done for the day due to more rain. I will prime the motor with gas next time, I just wanted to see of it could start on it's own. brand new plug's and wire's, geting spark as well. ppl are telling my my chain is off causeing these backfire's, but it is set to TDC #1, both closed for compresion stroke.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:59 PM

if it isnt turning over and you have spark then i would look into why its not getting fuel ...ecu... mabe fuel relay or your fuel pump its self ......put a gauge on your fuel inlet and see what the presser is ...it should read about 35 when you turn the key on....it sounds like your drop resistor could be faulty ...or your air flow meter ...also your o2 and head temp sencors have alot to do with telling the ecu what it needs to know ...hope you figure it ...i had some of these same problems ....they really suck butt...as for you timeing chain bing off that could be true to ...i was two nocthes off when i putt my **** back together ...man that was a bitch to figure out ....one notch off and it will runn but run like **** two notches off you will gett it to turn and almost fire ...witch # did you set it to #1 #2 or #3 ...if it wasnt such a bitch to change..
i would set mine to #3 just to feel a little more low end pull right now iam on #2 ...man i hate cam and timeing stuff ....have funn dont give up its most likely the stupiest thing and will be eazy fix in the end .......

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 01-23-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:10 PM

It's got spark and fule. Pump is working fine, and all lines are presureized. the motor catches at first, but can't seem to keep going. Fule,Spark,and Air is going into the combustion chamber, I think it's all a matter of timeing. If i prime the motor with gas, she's fire right up and burn off prime, then die. it is rough though, timeing needs ajustment, but then again, the injector's might now be fireing enough gas to get it going I checked the injector spray before i put them back on, there spraying there *** off. It could be the backfire's preventing the motor's from doing what's it's supposed to do. It might come down to poping the valve cover off again.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM

If you're getting fuel and spark then the problem comes down to the timing of the two. Since the L is batch fire I wouldn't worry about the injectors firing at the right time. So that leaves spark timing and valve timing.

I'm assuming we're dealing with an NA motor here, so here it goes.
Have you checked your timing? If not do that, then worry about what could be wrong. Check the air gap in the distributor. This is the space between the blades of the rotor (the little wheel looking thing on the shaft. Not the one that delivers spark)and the blades of the stator magnet. The specs are in any manual, but I don't know them off hand. If that checks out and you're SURE that the cap, rotor (the one that distributes spark), wires and plugs are all good then you're left with two possible issues. Ignition Module could be bad or your cam timing is off. If you've at any point had the timing chain off then I'd get to checking that before you go out and purchase anything else. It's a pain in the *** removing all the crap to get to the timing chain but that really sounds like you're problem. Especially because of the backfiring (typical of bad valve timing). You said you set it to #1 TDC, but what exactly did you set to TDC? The cam? You have to ensure the crank and cam are both set to #1BTDC. Then you have the cam gear to worry about. Some people like to use different slots for more power, but this isn't always an option. Sometimes you need to use a different slot just to get your timing right. So you need to make sure the #1 piston is at BTDC, you need to make sure the cam has #1 at BTDC, then you have to properly align the cam sprocket. Once you're sure all of this is aligned then you have to put the chain back on properly. Use the marks on the chain to do this. You should have made several reference marks before you ever even took the chain off to ensure it was put back on properly.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:29 PM

The orig Ignition Module was good, but melted from the previos fire. Like i said months ago, the car ran after the fire, and many thing's were replaced after the fire to make the car run again. Cause of fire is unknown. When i set TDC i set Crank to TDC Mark 0. I replaced the Ign Module with one from a runing 280ZX, so i know it's good. The Dizzy is good since i have got the car to run at one time, even though it only ran for about 2-3 min. it died due to no gas. This was because i forgot to keep up with the amount of fule in tank. I put 4 gal in at first, but did not notice that i have burned that off trying to start the car for two months. I have put 4 more gal's in, 87oct. The back fire's did not start untill after i got the motor to run for that 2-3 min. from the time that motor ran till the time i put more gas in(next day) I did not touch a thing. After i put gas in and tryed to start, she just started backfireing. I found gas and dark black gunk in my air filter.