280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Cam Position Sensor

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM

Cam Position Sensor

Wanting find out if anyone has added a Cam Position Sensor to an 1982 L28ET motor with a P90A head. If so what were the parts and procedures? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 PM
The Good Twin

No. Not sure why anyone would want to...
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Big Poppa

you could add a ford edis ring and sensor to the crank. not nessesary unless you want to go standalone with no dizzy and use coil packs.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by SHADY280
you could add a ford edis ring and sensor to the crank. not nessesary unless you want to go standalone with no dizzy and use coil packs.
Indeed.

Cam sensors are for DOHC (Dual OverHead Cam) engines, and VVT (Variable Valve Timing)... the L28ET has neither of those.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Yeah.... try explaining why you want a cam angle sensor and maybe we can be a little more helpful. If you are looking for a sensor for an aftermarket ECU the turbo dizzy can run a dual track optical disk in it (does anyhow) but you can run a modified disc like diyautotune, etc makes to give you TDC and RPM info if you wanted to run a distributorless ignition, sequential fuel, etc...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM

First thing is, I am going to use and after market ECU - Haltech and want to lose the distributor. Then go coils for each cylinder, sequential injection and no wasted spark. So I was thinking of the Cam Position sensor to help with the fire and fuel with the crank angle sensor for the engine timing only. Maybe to much and no need, but why not. Wanted to see if anyone had done this before and if it was a real pain or is it do-able. If anyone has done please let me know the details as I am looking that direction. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 PM
The Good Twin

Again, cam sensors are for DOHC and VVT... there is not much need for one on an L28ET. Does Haltech REQUIRE a cam sensor? If you want to remove the distributor and go coil packs, why not save $500 - $1000 and go with MSnS (which only requires a crank sensor)?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:00 AM

I run a Haltech in my car with LS coils. I am using the stock CAS with a VG30 chopper wheel; a cam sensor isnt needed.

The stock L28ET chopper wheel doesnt have a home window. Replace it with a VG30 wheel (or the 12-1 wheel from DIY may work as well), to get a wheel with a home window and youre good to go.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by LSUDuke
First thing is, I am going to use and after market ECU - Haltech and want to lose the distributor. Then go coils for each cylinder, sequential injection and no wasted spark. So I was thinking of the Cam Position sensor to help with the fire and fuel with the crank angle sensor for the engine timing only. Maybe to much and no need, but why not. Wanted to see if anyone had done this before and if it was a real pain or is it do-able. If anyone has done please let me know the details as I am looking that direction. Thanks.
You can make anything work however using the stock dizzy as your CAS is the simplest way to do it. Make a cover to replace the cap and you're good to go - no messing around with a variable reluctance setup, specialized wheels, etc. With a new encoder wheel in the stock turbo dizzy you can do distributorless and sequential injection as stated above.

Any reason you're going with Haltech? It's about 4x more expensive than the Mega Squirt 3 system and I'm not sure if there is anything you would gain over the MS3.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like the cam sensor trouble is not needed with what the distributor can do give with the Chopper Wheel. FricFrac I am going to consider the MegaSquirt3.

Ryan95i4 thanks for the info on how you did you distributor as that seems to be the way to go. I like the pictures and you have the setup I believe I am looking for with the coils, ecu and dizzy. I am sure there is more I don't see. If you got more pictures it would be great to see them.

I have finished up the suspension, struts, brakes and some small jobs and ready to get to the engine compartment. Slow but steady.

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by LSUDuke
Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like the cam sensor trouble is not needed with what the distributor can do give with the Chopper Wheel. FricFrac I am going to consider the MegaSquirt3.

Ryan95i4 thanks for the info on how you did you distributor as that seems to be the way to go. I like the pictures and you have the setup I believe I am looking for with the coils, ecu and dizzy. I am sure there is more I don't see. If you got more pictures it would be great to see them.

I have finished up the suspension, struts, brakes and some small jobs and ready to get to the engine compartment. Slow but steady.

Thanks again.

When you open the dizzy up, you'll see the stock chopper wheel in the CAS.

Replace it with a VG30 wheel (or the DIY 12-1 wheel). Make sure you put it in the correct way and not upside down.

Heres the difference in the l28et and vg30 wheels, mainly one of the inside openings is enlarged, which is the home window.

Look for the VG30 wheel in a junkyard or post up a WTB thread, i got mine from a member of HybridZ.

Then just lose the cap and rotor and make a new cover for the CAS. My brother machined mine from delrin, came out really nice.

For the coils, Im using LS coils and the mounting bracket from ZCCJDM.

After that, its just building your wiring harness correctly and having the correct settings in the ECU software.

As for the MS vs Haltech debate, if you havent already decided what to use, go download the software for both (Tuner Studio for MS and ECU Manager for Haltech) and play around in both. You can download both for free from their respective websites. I had my reasons for going with Haltech (reputation, reliability, electrical noise concerns, and largely b/c i preferred ECU Manager over Tuner Studio), but you really cant go wrong either way.

Last edited by Ryan95i4; 08-16-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 PM

Ryan95i4 - thanks for the pictures of the CAS Wheels and the dizzy. It helps a lot to see what is being said. This is how I am going to go with the injection and firing order. I like the cover on the distributor very nice work. Thanks again.