280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Best Z for a project

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:58 PM

Best Z for a project

I'm interested in buying a Z car, but I'm not sure which is the best car to look for. I found a 78 280Z 2+2 not far from where I live and I liked it a lot, but it doesn't run and I'm not sure how rusted it is. I was told if there is rust under the door and underneath the taillight that there was most likely worse rust on the frame rails and floor pans, so I decided not to try to buy that one.

I was wondering, basically, what Z (2x0Z, not 300Z) is the best for a project car? Which is the lightest and do all of them have enough room for a V8 Chevy conversion? Which has the least rust? If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right, and I figure you guys would be the ones to know. Thanks.

Last edited by TheOrangePeanut; 08-03-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM

oh no not a v8!! dont do that.. but if you are... depends on what you want.. a race car or just a speedy lil get around car.. if you want to fit people go with a 280z-zx 2+2.. the 280s are the best for v8 conv.
if you want to go original i would recommend an 82-83 turbo.. the 81 turbo came auto only.. i think youd want the 83 turbo most cuz it came with the T5 tranny. if you want a strict racer go with a 280z/280zx 2 seater.. they can all fit a v8.. whether it be a 240, 260 or 280. personally i dislike the conversion. dont get me wrong i love chevy to death. but intermixing import/american and different makes is just bastardizing to me.. a chevy with a chevy is awesome.. but datsun with a chevy.. bleah!
besides.. just cuz its a 2.xL straight 6 doesnt mean it cant make numbers.. and for the same amount you can get great results either way you go. im personally gonna stick with 81 turbo and eventually do a tranny swap and many other things and im shooting for 420 dont underestimate those turbos..
Old 08-03-2005, 04:27 PM

If I bought a project car, a the turbo engine from the 280ZX turbo would be what goes in it. I just wanted to keep my options open, which is why I mentioned the v8 conversion. At this point in time, I'd rather have a turboed straight 6 than a v8 anwyay. So you're suggesting an 83 280ZX? I'm not looking for a race car, just something that I can make 200-230 or so hp from and run a decent quarter.

How bad is the rust on that model 280ZX? The only thing stopping me from buying the 2+2 locally is the possible rust problems. Also, it doesn't have to be a 2+2... I just like they way they look more, there's no way I could fit anyone back there
Old 08-03-2005, 06:46 PM

well im glad to hear you say "I'd rather have a turboed straight 6 than a v8 anyway"

many people have the impression L6=V6
this is wrong.. the problem is a V6 is not as well balanced and the cylinders are offset.. the V was designed to save space. theoretically a L8 could do better than a V8.. if one were to exist. but the L6 is unique cuz you have 2 pistons in the same position all the time.. except one is firing.. an L8 would just be a mess of offset position madness.. and itd be too long.. the L6 never was too popular cuz it was so long.. and one thing about the V was that it was also easier to make into a Twin Turbo setup. an L28ETT is a mess under the hood.. thats why the 300zx(specifically Z32) became a tad more popular. but nonetheless I LOVE my Z. Shes my Baby. and the day i have her screaming with Twin Turbos is the most anticipated day for my auto career.

i love the look of 2+2s. they are a bit more eccentric in their design. they have the unrevealing beauty few can see. i prefer the 2 seaters tho. iam always looking to reduce weight and unnecessary crap to just go a lil faster.

I also have some good news for those who knew of my cars state. I replaced the Ignition coil and she stopped doing what she was doin... so i was running her around last night when i came upon this one ar that wasnt all riced out and had a NICE exhaust but it was a cavalier so i was like.. pshhh.. so i decided to follow him and **** with him for awhile and he turned on this road then turned around as he saw i was following so he turned and went right back down the main road except i got held cuz of the damn light changing so he got ahead of me for a min but i turned and gunned it when someone turned so i hit the accelerator and got up right behind him and i know he saw me closin in... and we went down a main stretch and i pulled up beside him and then just put it in neutral revved it up and threw it in 2nd and just like left him into nothing so he started running up and i was hittin about 85 and he got up beside me as i let him to see what he can do.. and he came up to me and i just gunned it again and left him and we came to a light and he was like Damn! that thing gotta turbo?!? i was like hell yeah! look on the side..(pointing to side) and he said he had a turbo as well so i was like ok.. maybe he was just pussyfootin it. and he did have one cuz he actually had a real blow off valve.. i have heard fake ones before.. its pathetic when ya hear it. like pst. not a PSHhhhhhhh so we went down and turned onto another main drag and theres this bridge about a few miles down that goes over the san jacinto river and we floored it along the bridge and he could keep up with me to somedegree but we had hit 130 over the bridge and i was ahead of him still pulling away.. he apparently topped out so we came to a gas station.. and just kinda lookin each othrs car over and h was like damn i never raced a zed before... impressive and i was just like.. yeah.. she can move.. when she wants to... well he took off and i gassed up. and then oddly enough.. and this was WEIRD but i turned back around to go back down the road to go home and this car got behind me and i knew it was like some punk or something cuz he was revvin it and im like man these ****ers need to ease up off my back.. and when we hit the road again i saw it was him and he started goin through traffic so naturally i followed but those cavaliers cant handle like a Z. hed switch lanes with some recoil whereas i am just easin along dodgin people and we pushed it up again and i admit he had some acceleration but when my turbo spooled it was over evrytime.. i topped him out twice whilst still accelerating.... we eventually calmed down afterward but damn i hadnt beat some *** in awhile and he said his speedo stopped at 130 and he was hittin 129 by the timehe was topping and i was goin id say at least 10+ over him as we were neck and neck at one point as he was topped and i was only at 5700...i still had 700 to go before i even redline and i can push past redline... so i had to pull away and let him know i was the faster one.. needleszs to say i hadnt had a good race in some time and even though i beat him he did have a decent car.. but to be fair he had 2 others with him and he was running a/c..or so he says.. i have one belt.. and thats for my waterpump and alt. so.. for a lil turbo Cav. id say he posed some competition to most lil ricers and he had a dual tip exhaust with a glasspack.. it was a screamer not a dying fart machine..
anyway enough of my tangents..
Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

That was one of the longest rambles I've ever heard!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:47 PM
The Evil Twin

280ZX should have less rust than a 240Z or 280Z. The ZX has plastic splash guards.
Buy a 2-seater with T-tops. It'll be fun. Turbo or not you can swap one in later after you get the body and suspension setup nice.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by lww
That was one of the longest rambles I've ever heard!
YES!!! I had to hit my mouse scrolly down wheel like 7 times..

To Orange Peanut... go with the V8
Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 AM

im sorry.. but it was interesting for me . . especially when you havent been on the road for like 2 weeks
Old 08-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by assimilated420
im sorry.. but it was interesting for me . . especially when you havent been on the road for like 2 weeks
Haha, I feel your pain.. I haven't been in my Z for almost 4 months
Old 08-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by assimilated420

theoretically a L8 could do better than a V8.. if one were to exist.

Dude, there is such a thing as the L8. They have been around for a VERY long time. Have you ever heard of Dusenburg? They made luxury cars in the early 1900's and were famous for thier "Dusenburg Straight 8". They are pretty cool and I've heard they run extremely smooth.

Heres a pic I found of the engine...
Attached Thumbnails Best Z for a project-dusenburg.jpg  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:58 AM

HOLY ****!! i have NEVER heard of that or anything.. that is frikin awesome.. put a L8 in your Z and see how fast that thing will fly,, put some v8s to shame
Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

In 1925, That Dusenberg L8 had twin cams and four valves per cylinder!!!
Way ahead of it's time. You would have to lengthen the front of your Z somewhat to make it fit though...

Rod.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Don't hold your breath. The Deusenberg Straight 8 came out in 1920. Not the height of automotive power plant engineering. Don't get me wrong, they took the first 3 grid positions at the 1922 Indy 500, but they still only racked up a whopping 100 mph top speed...