280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z31T ECU Swap Questions

Old 01-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Über User

good advise. ill do that... assuming that car is still there. the world will never know!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM
eff good grammar

saws-all = you own new rear diff out of 300z
Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
saws-all = you own new rear diff out of 300z

Hum... I think it would take more time to saws-all out a diff than to just unbolt it.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:14 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Hum... I think it would take more time to saws-all out a diff than to just unbolt it.
bleach would know the answer. he tangled with the Legendary Beast and came out on top.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Über User

yes and know, but thats also SUPER loud, and for mine, id need alot of extension cords. lol. but most likely saws-all wold be faster if you used it to assist you only, not for the whole thing
Old 01-13-2008, 11:00 PM
eff good grammar

theres nothing on a car i havent seen a saws all cut through, just get a new blade swipe it through the half shafts in the back one nite, run like hell.
come back a few nights later do the drive line, repeat running like hell.
come back a finaly night finish up with supports, grab what you can and run like hell.

theres a common theme here
Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Über User

lol, no doubt im a crafty thief ans so are my friends, if only you knew what ive "aquired" in my life. but i dont like to disclose that info to much.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM
NisTuner

I'm actually trying to find an 88-89 ZE1T ECU now, I'm planning to upgrade in the near future, so I'm gonna try to get ahold of it, as I've read there's only very slight difference in the wiring other than the O2. I'm planning to eventually get a 2.5" downpipe made, so when I do that I'll just have it made to fit the 3-wire O2.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM
NisTuner

Quick question. I was reading through the HybridZ writeup done by Afshin and I jotted down what he said the differences are between wiring the 87-89 ECUs up vs. the 84-86.

He was saying the main changes were now that the Air Regulator is run through pin 19, while the Fuel Temp Sensor has switched from pin 15 to 16, but as far as I can tell the air regulator is still pin 16, the fuel temp sensor is still pin 15, the heated O2 wire is spliced into the air regulator heater wire, while the ground wire for the O2 is spliced into the ground wire for the MAF, and the regular signal wire is still pin 24. Unless this wiring diagram is wrong, and I'm not sure. I downloaded it from Xenon's Z31 site, the 88 FSM.

I didn't realize that the zirconia O2s used on the 84-85 Turbos and the 84-89 N/As were all 3-wire. Will the 3wire zirconia O2s that the early Turbo models use thread into the 280ZX existing downpipe? If so I'm almost debating getting one since it would actually help get the car into closed loop quicker.

Last edited by duowing; 01-15-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM

just as a warning to everyone who is looking into the Z31 ecu swap.... **MAKE SURE YOU READ AS MUCH INFORMATION AND SCHEMATICS AS YOU CAN** because some of the stuff i am seeing on here is incorrect!!. on my 83' ZXT the connectors to the ecu have the terminals marked and they do not match some of the schematics i am seeing floating around this site. just a fyi make sure you do your homework! good luck!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by DriftZ83
just as a warning to everyone who is looking into the Z31 ecu swap.... **MAKE SURE YOU READ AS MUCH INFORMATION AND SCHEMATICS AS YOU CAN** because some of the stuff i am seeing on here is incorrect!!. on my 83' ZXT the connectors to the ecu have the terminals marked and they do not match some of the schematics i am seeing floating around this site. just a fyi make sure you do your homework! good luck!
Like what? Quite a few people have done the swap... I haven't heard any "83 zxt ecu connector" probs. Are you sure YOUR ecu connectors are marked correctly?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 PM

ya... just one of the connectors to the stock 280zx connector the image is reverse of what is on the schematic... so far that i've seen cause i'm also puting in a turbo timer and thats when i noticed it. terminal 29 for the speed sensor is flipped from what is in the schematic.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
The Good Twin

#1... The speed sensor is not touched, changed, or even part of the 280zxt ecu to Z31T ecu swap.

#2... I checked all of my manuals (Haynes, 81T FSM, Z31T ECU schematics) & found no errors with the speed sensor wire.

#3... What schematic are you using?

#4... Are you sure you are looking at the image correctly? Sometimes they show the connector from eyes view, sometimes from connection view (which may "invert" it).
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
NisTuner

The one connector that I believe has the injector wires on it doesn't have numbers on it, but if you compare it up to the wiring diagram and match up the colors of the wires it's really pretty easy to figure out.

Quick question I thought of. Would it be at all beneficial to splice in a TPS connector and an extra wire from an N/A 280ZX as that would allow you to have the full throttle contact for the TPS/ECU?

Last edited by duowing; 01-15-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:11 PM

nismopick.. i could be looking at it different... and i know it doesn't have anything to do with the ecu swap i just happen to notice it when i was installing my turbo timer. it was just a disclaimer to remind everyone to check double check and triple check their wiring. what about the tps question again? the 240 tps has an extra pigtail with connector.... what do i do with that cause the stock 280 connector plugs into the tps correctly?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
The Good Twin

what about the tps question again? the 240 tps has an extra pigtail with connector.... what do i do with that cause the stock 280 connector plugs into the tps correctly?
I've answered that for you twice already. Check it:

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...834#post209834

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/60mm-throttle-body-questions-other-24402/

You leave the pigtail alone unless you are using an aftermarket fuel management system, or SAFC.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:30 PM

sorry i didn't see that post.... i was look'n at your pics again and was wondering where you got it and what you used to match the intake to the tb.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:00 PM
The Good Twin

i was look'n at your pics again and was wondering where you got it and what you used to match the intake to the tb.
Where I got the TB? I got it from a 240sx... I used a carbide tipped bit to port out the throttle body neck on the manifold.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 PM

sorry i wasn't descriptive enough... what did you use to mate the tb to the boost tube? also i have got the turbo timer and harness that plugs into the ignition but the ignition lock cylinder side is supposed to have 5 terminals... 3 in one row and 2 in another. the greddy harness only has 4. on the other side it has 5 but it's jumpering from another terminal also stock wire harness will not fit into the greddy harness... it is the right terminal set of wires but the plastic doesn't mate it's not big enough. i have the male/female sets correct and it is the correct harness for the vehicle... i checked. one last thing. the greddy harness.... is supposed to connect to a power harness then to the greddy timer correct? because the neither greddy harness' mate to each other. one is a 3 wire setup and the greddy timer is a 4 wire set up?.... i'm confused because in the greddy timer install instructions show a power harness to link the greddy ignition harness to the timer. where can i find that? thanks... sorry i'm lost but everything i have should fit an 83' ZXT.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
The Good Twin

sorry i wasn't descriptive enough... what did you use to mate the tb to the boost tube? also i have got the turbo timer and harness that plugs into the ignition but the ignition lock cylinder side is supposed to have 5 terminals... 3 in one row and 2 in another. the greddy harness only has 4. on the other side it has 5 but it's jumpering from another terminal also stock wire harness will not fit into the greddy harness... it is the right terminal set of wires but the plastic doesn't mate it's not big enough. i have the male/female sets correct and it is the correct harness for the vehicle... i checked. one last thing. the greddy harness.... is supposed to connect to a power harness then to the greddy timer correct? because the neither greddy harness' mate to each other. one is a 3 wire setup and the greddy timer is a 4 wire set up?.... i'm confused because in the greddy timer install instructions show a power harness to link the greddy ignition harness to the timer. where can i find that? thanks... sorry i'm lost but everything i have should fit an 83' ZXT.
Holy shat... calm down. That was a lot of mumbling. As for mating the throttle body to the "boost tube" which is called the J-pipe, you can use a silicone coupler. There's PLENTY of threads on how to upgrade to the 60mm throttle body... so feel free to search.

And the turbo timer... I'm pretty freaking sure the Greddy connector isn't made SPECIFICALLY for the 280zxt (hence the reason the plug won't work).

Also, you should prolly make your own thread about this, instead of going off topic on a thread about Z31T ecu questions.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM

ok i wanna get around to doing this swap and am trying to get as many parts as possible locally. the z31 stuff i can get but the l28et dizzy is harder. how much do they go for in the states? i found this on oz ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....id=p2759.l1259 but no point if i can source it cheaper and with brackets over there
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
The Good Twin

Looks like the US Dollar is about the same as the AU Dollar... $40-$80 is about what they go for on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...spagenameZWDVW

Hopefully you can snag that on you're watchin on ebay, or someone on a Z forum can get one for you.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 AM
NisTuner

Ok, here's a quick question. Since I'm planning to eventually upgrade to the 88-89 ECU, I was reading info. I know that the 88-89 FSM tells you to run about 15 BTDC for your timing, and then I read about the fact that the later ECUs advance the timing under boost due to the fact that the later 300ZXs used the smaller turbo. Now I'm wondering what you'd do about that fact.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
and then I read about the fact that the later ECUs advance the timing under boost due to the fact that the later 300ZXs used the smaller turbo.
The FSM says timing advance under boost is due to a smaller turbo? Usually timing is retarded under boost to limit detonation, Also, I doubt it was "due to a smaller turbo," rather due to advancing computer technology.

But do tell where it says that....
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 AM
NisTuner

It wasn't from the FSM, but I found the info on the redz31.com site: http://www.redz31.com/pages/fuel.html

I've found this link a couple times now in relation to using the Z31 ecu.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z31T ECU Swap Questions