280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM

Transmission

I have an 81 280ZXT, with a bad transmission. I found another tranny, supposedly working on ebay but its from an 82??? I think that its the same thing but I wanted to check first so I dont end up with something I can use. Below is the website please tell me what you think. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 PM
User Friendly

Yeah, that auto tranny is the same as your 81's AT. The seller doesn't have much feedback, but the 22 he does have is all positive, and if you can win the tranny for less than the "buy it now" price and pick it up, it could be well worth the effort.

Oh, and the key to bidding on eBay is to wait until the last-minute to place your bid - and bid as high as you're willing to pay. If you start bidding now, you're basically just jacking up the price.

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 09-19-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Oh, and the key to bidding on eBay is to wait until the last-minute to place your bid - and bid as high as you're willing to pay. If you start bidding now, you're basically just jacking up the price.
I learned that the hard way. I would bid on stuff early and all we did was go back and forth running up the price.
I bid on a triple gauge cluster recently for my Z. I put it in "MY EBAY" and watched it. In MY EBAY it shows you when the item you are watching is about to expire. I went in and entered my bid but didn't actually hit the bid button until it had 30 seconds left and the item at $29, and I bid $42.
By the time it registered my bid as high bidder, there were only 8 seconds left, which is not enough time for someone to counter, unless they already have a preset amount already in that is higher than my $42 bid. I won the gauges at $32, where the previous high bidder had bid a max of $31. I always put in an extra $2 to jump me over someone with a rounded bid of say $40. I don't want $2 to come between me and a part I need for my Z.

It is all a gamble, that used to tick me off when I lost, but you realize that another one will be on EBAYs soon. So don't overpay for something unless it is a RARE item or you have to have one by a certain date.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 AM

Try doing that on Dial up. Ha. now it's fun to do your biding.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:26 PM

OK thanks, Ive decided to go ahead and buy it. If you read it it comes with a torque convertor, and some other stuff if you want it like tranmission lines and a flywheel plate. Does Auto have a flywheel plate? Also what is involved is swapping out my tranny for this other one? Is it a simple thing or should I go ahead and have a skilled mechanic do it? Thanks again
Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by DGriffin
Does Auto have a flywheel plate? Also what is involved is swapping out my tranny for this other one? Is it a simple thing or should I go ahead and have a skilled mechanic do it? Thanks again
Understanding Automatic Transmissions
Removal and Installation

A Hayne's Manual will be even more helpful than the info. provided in the above links.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

if you are around seattle area you can have the one I pulled out of my 81zxt it was running good but I prefer the five speed stir the pot action. couple bottles of red wine would do it.
krs@whidbey.com