280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting L28ET issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Exclamation Starting L28ET issue.

So me and my cousin are trying to get this puppy started. the engine cranks good and smooth. : however it doesn't seem to want to turn on and if anyone has any experience with these your help would be greatly appreciated.

we have replaced all of the vacuum hoses with new ones.
replaced cooling fluid
replaced cooling/water hoses
the mass airflow sensor works. (put in the one from my cousins RUNNING l28et (Stock) )
hot wired a STOCK 280zx fuel pump (and it works and pumps gas)
new ngk spark plugs.
there is definitely spark going to all sparkplugs (tested)
firing order is correct ( referred to my cousins L28et and compression checked)
there is FUEL
there is power to the injectors

it seems like everything is as it should be to start up. we've reached a screeching halt after replacing alot of crap and wonder whats wrong with it. so i came to the forums to get help since the engine will most likely be put in a 72 z i get in the nearby future. so i want to get it running

please HELP me get this TURTLE back to life

Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM
The Good Twin

3 things needed for a motor to run:

-PROPER SPARK
-PROPER FUEL
-PROPER AIR

If there is proper spark, is there proper fuel? Have you pulled the spark plugs to see if they are wet or dry?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
3 things needed for a motor to run:

-PROPER SPARK
-PROPER FUEL
-PROPER AIR

If there is proper spark, is there proper fuel? Have you pulled the spark plugs to see if they are wet or dry?
negative. i will try that next time i crank it. i did however pull the gas feeding line and there was gas being sent to it. the injectors had power to them (test lighted them) so unless they are not spraying then we found ourselves a possible cause.

another thing i failed to mention is that we have not tried my cousins zxt ecu on it wich i most likely will swap tomorrow when its sunny. hopefully that's the problem so we know what we need. hopefully not the injectors as it would be far more expensive to get all those.

any other posibilities?

his Mass airflow sensor works 100% tough. so there is AIR.
i tested all 6 spark plugs individually for spark and ALL 6 have spark.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:12 PM

what year is the turbo ? nismopick is right ! fuel air spark ! try to reset the ecu take off the positve an negitive termanals . Check to see if the ecu green light works when you turn your key to the on postion. ?

check for spark pull off the center wire and place it to th front bolt strut if you see a spark your good.

check all passedges for rags ! air in take to turbo than turbo to throtte body.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM

turbo is 82 or 83 i believe. im sure the ECU has been reseted. its been off for a long time :P "what does the green light in the ECU signal ?"

Newsflash #2....

well the car seems to be able to stay on for like 1.5 or 2 seconds with starting fluid however it still kind of wants to start by itself but it DOES'NT. so i narrowed it down to GAS issues.

i got the battery back and threw it on. i removed the fuel rail and injectors and layed it ontop of the engine and plugged the fuel lines and cranked it. to my surprize only injector #6 spits gas. im not sure if its supposed to spit ALOT or not but it seemed kind of a weak sauce spray to me. but it spits none the less. as for injectors 1-5 NOTHING. all 6 injector clips have power so they should be spitting gas if the injectors were good RIGHT ? :/ or what else could it be given the information i've provided.

anyone know what replacement injectors are good that will fit STOCK? will NA zx injectors do the job good ? as there are plenty of those in junkyards.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
The Good Twin

Clean the injectors. And n/a's won't work... they are much lower cc.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Externally Wastegated

If I remember right, you're in the SD area, let me see if I can find my stock injectors and if I do find them, you can try them to see if that will solve your cranking issues.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:17 PM

ahhhhh DARKNESSSSSS!!!!!!! i got the turtle started today! threw on all 12 new 84 Z31 turbo injectors i got from ecology for the OUTRAGEOUS price of $2 (ohh and may i add that the cars i got them from had literally NEW! emissions everything..... must've had problems with smog and owner replaced everything under the hood :P lmao) , and cranked that soulja turtle and started (with the help of some starting spray) at the begging. idled smooooth as a baby butt. no smoke whatsoever. NEXT STEP. bleed all the fluid lines or whatever. water & oil changed after a few more days of running the engine. i got a video of it but idk how to load it up. :P
Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 AM
The Good Twin

You put on 12 injectors???
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Über User

go to you tube or photobucket, make an account, load it on there per instructions and then post the link. this site doesnt host vids as far as i know
Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Super, you would happen to have the other 6 injectors for sale would you? I need a new set of injectors for my 280ZXT
Old 04-20-2009, 03:57 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

sure walking on your engine and rad support is not the proper way to take a pic of the engine bay >_<
Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Super, you would happen to have the other 6 injectors for sale would you? I need a new set of injectors for my 280ZXT
not really but i have about 6 locka junkyards about 4 blocks away :P i take periodical trips to see what i can swipe for my $2 :P (pokets aint empty bruah)
lol

il keep an eye out for any Z31T or 280zxT and take me some injectors for yah if you're interested. not sure if you're in a rush or not.

lol ur funny nismopik :P thatd be something to see... l28 with 12 injectors lmao.

dont trip hemie didnt even come close to steping on the engine. radiator support EH! who gives. that puppy, T5 and diff are coming out and into a 240Z so dont really care about the zx shell. il probly slang parts from it see if anybody needs any off it.