280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insert and turn key = absolutely nothing... :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 AM

Insert and turn key = absolutely nothing... :(

Sorry for the n00b question, but I searched all night and couldn't find what I was looking for...

I just bought an automatic 83 turbo and have been driving it fine for like three weeks. New battery, put on new brake pads, bled the brakes, oil and filter change, coolant flush and just bought a set of KYB's off ebay...

Anyway it's been working fine and then yesterday, I went to McDonalds for lunch, I drive to the gas station, fill it up and it starts up fine everytime! Then I drive to the store go in buy some stuff come out and put in the key, turn it and absolutely nothing happens. No DING "door is open", no dash lights (digital dash) and the starter doesnt engage.

I have good voltage at the battery but nothing happens when I turn the key.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Its still sitting in the store parking lot. I'll have to move it today if I dont want it towed.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

sounds like a fuse link.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM

Any idea which one? I have a Haynes manual on order, but it won't be here until next week, my local NAPA doesn't carry them for the 280ZX... and does anyone carry fuse links anymore? and if it blew, doesn't that mean I have a short in the wiring somewhere?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

it could have just got old. Nissan should have them, or a parts store.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by n00bZXT
Sorry for the n00b question, but I searched all night and couldn't find what I was looking for...

I just bought an automatic 83 turbo and have been driving it fine for like three weeks. New battery, put on new brake pads, bled the brakes, oil and filter change, coolant flush and just bought a set of KYB's off ebay...

Anyway it's been working fine and then yesterday, I went to McDonalds for lunch, I drive to the gas station, fill it up and it starts up fine everytime! Then I drive to the store go in buy some stuff come out and put in the key, turn it and absolutely nothing happens. No DING "door is open", no dash lights (digital dash) and the starter doesnt engage.

I have good voltage at the battery but nothing happens when I turn the key.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Its still sitting in the store parking lot. I'll have to move it today if I dont want it towed.
Make sure your alternator belt is still in one piece - double check to make sure you battery connections are TIGHT AND SECURE. Your battery may read good but if the connections on top of it are even slightly loose, it won't start. Check ALL the fuses under the cover in the passenger kick panel. Try wiggling
the shifter in park as you turn the key, my auto gave me problems also (Safety Switch) Try to start it in neutral with your foot on the brake. The battery may read good and the connections may be tight, the connection at the starter would be my next suggestion...it could be loose.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Ok, I just want to say that you guys rock!

I got a ride to the store where my Z was parked in the first spot by the door! It couldn't be at the back of the parking lot where I wouldn't get any grief from the manager it had to be in the VERY first spot. Thankfully I wasn't in a handicap spot!

Anyway I checked the battery again, checked all the fuses, checked the fuse links and everything looked good. Fortunately the fuse links look pretty new so the previous owner may have already replaced them.

Tried wiggling the shifter in park and neutral while turning the key and no good.

The positive cable on the battery was just slightly loose so I tightened it and still no go. Then, I went back to the fuse links and pulled the one for the ignition and as soon as I put it back on, I heard the fuel pump kick on since I had forgotten to turn the key off!

Went to try it again and SHAZAM! She fired right up! I think it was a combination of the slightly loose battery cable and a bad contact on the fuse able link!

Woohoo! I got turbo boost again!

Thanks guys I REALLY appreciate it! I was getting really bummed after only having this car for a couple of weeks. I'm not looking for any crazy hp like some of you guys. I just want some old school fun that I can use to get back and forth to school without too much headache or trouble and maybe embarrass a ricer Honda every now and then...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Congratulations on fixing your car and welcome to ZDriver!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

glad to hear you got it running again! fuse links are one of the first things i check.