280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: '79 280ZX cranks and has spark but won't start

Old 12-28-2003, 07:56 PM

HELP: '79 280ZX cranks and has spark but won't start

I'm looking for some advise regarding a 280ZX that I can't get started.

The car is a fuel-injected '79 280ZX.

The car has been sitting several years. At the time is as "stored" it was running, however nothing was specifically done to put it into storage.

I've put 5 gallons of fresh gas in the tank (though did not drain it prior to adding the new gas), I can hear the fuel pump working, and there is spark at the plugs.

When I first crank the engine over, within the first couple turns of the engine it sounds like its going to start and it seems to almost catch, however it doesn't start and then just cranks and cranks. If I immediately try to crank it again, it just turns over and doesn't come close to starting. However if I wait 30-45 minutes and then try to start it again, once again, it almost starts after a couple turns, but again, fails to start and again just turns over and over without starting. The above pattern repeats if I wait another half hour or so and try again.

THere is NOT an obvious smell of gas which would indicate flooding. So I'm not sure if its getting too much gas or too little to run continuously. I'm guessing some component is probably gummed up with gasoline residue after sitting several years.

Can someone give me the most likely components to look at and clean or replace?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 01-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Heavy D

Sounds kinda like the same problem my buddy had. We worked on it the whole day trying to figure it out. First before you go do anything, check your battery and make sure its good, if it is low it will do what you are describing. Then check your fuel, it sounds like the pump is working but is it really? disconnect the hose at the top of the fuel filter and aim it away from the car, then have a buddy try to crank it. If gas shoots out then you know youve got pressure, if you dont, replace the filter then try again. I figure if you got proper spark and proper fuel, then it should start. Good luck mate.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:57 PM

Check the vaccuum lines!!! I had the same problem, replaced all of the lines under the hood........blam! ran like new.......ok new-ish.......