280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 AM

Fuel Injector Replacement

I have two leaking fuel injectors and am preparing to replace all of them in my '83 280ZZ (non-turbo). I am looking for any advice from those who have gone before into this project before I jump in. Specifically, I'd like to know:

1) Hints, tips, traps, and general advice for a novice mechanic.
2) The wiring plug rubber boots are all cracked and broken - what is the best method to replace, and product recommendations.
3) Should one plan to replace the plastic FI mounting blocks or wait and see what they look like after the FIs are removed?

Thank you. Garnet
Old 12-30-2005, 08:23 AM
The Good Twin

The n/a fuel rail is somewhat of a pain, because of the cold start valve. Just take your time & take it apart properly. Another hard part, is the tension pulley at the front of the head. You will need to take that off, as there is a stud at the top, holding a fuel rail bracket.

I would advise replacing the black plastic retaining blocks if cracked. They are a big support for the injectors.

You can also find replacement wiring connectors at the local parts store.

Good luck & post any other probs as you go.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM

I had just wrapped my cracked FI blocks up real good with electical tape. A few turns around with the tape and they were as good as new. And since theres so much damn clutter in there anyways, you cant even tell the black tape is on there. Not the proper way to do it, but its lasted the last couple of years with no problems at all. Be very careful not to bend the fuel rail. If you do then it wont line up right and getting all those injectors in there will be a pain. Other than that just follow Nismos advice and you should be alright.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM

i just replaced one of my injectors, make sure you take your time and completely disconnect the fuel rail from all 6 injectors and all brackets from the head, along with the pully, i tried to rush it, and didnt disconnect everything, and wound up doubling the time to do it, and also, try to scrape the metal on the connectors till they are clean if you dont replace them, other than all of that, should be easy, oh, and good luck working through that mess....my hands are scratched and bruised trying to wedge my hand through those tiny spaces...them japaneese guys must have small hands..
Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Doesn't post much...

You're about the millionth person to discover how deceptively difficult it is to replace the injectors on this car. It's funny, you open the hood and think to yourself "Oh, this will be a piece of cake... ten minutes and I'm done". An hour later, you're cursing and throwing things and bleeding all over yourself and thinking "WTF!?". You also learned the valuable lesson of taking your time and doing it right. Also, that if you're going to remove one, you gotta remove them all. It's best (if you can afford it) to just replace all 6 at the same time. It's almost like the engineers at Nissan didn't want anybody messing with those injectors. I've swapped the injectores in Honda's in about 5 minutes. I can see why so many guys go with the aftermarket fuel rails. If nothing else, they're easier to work with.

Rod.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I can see why so many guys go with the aftermarket fuel rails. If nothing else, they're easier to work with.

Rod.
That is first and foremost the reason I wanted to get an aftermarket rail. After having to rip off that fuel rail so many times it gets to the point where you'll pay a little extra cash to make the job easier. Between replacing injectors twice (shoulda done them all at the same time, I went cheap and just tried 3 the first time and had to pull it again to do the rest), had to replace the intake/exhaust gasket, took off the exhaust manifold once to try to repair a crack, had to take it off again to replace it, took it off again to have a flange put on the new one after the clamps started leaking, and finally when the bolt on the thermostat housing snapped off I had to take the intake off again to drill out the bolt. Thats all within the first year of owning the damn car. (actually more like the first 6 months ). I got sick of replacing that damn fuel rail, so now it's not even bolted down. truly a pain in the *** the first time, but after that it's just annoying (but doesn't take so long once you know the procedure). I can now get that sucker off in a few minutes. But when you get that much practice, who wouldn't be able too
Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yep I am definately hooking up my JSK fuel rail, when I am ready to run again.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:45 PM

yea, i think i got carpel tunnel from trying to work the damn thing back on the rail...but now ive done it, i know exactly what to do, and how to make this next time i replace the rest of them a breeze
Old 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

While you're at it, upgrade your FI connectors:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...ors/index.html

Autozone has replacement insulators from GP Sorensen part # 800-1507N $29.95 this includes both the upper and lower rubber insulator "o-rings".

Of course, that adds $180 to the total if you do all 6... ;(
Old 01-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Externally Wastegated

Also don't forget to purge the fuel system before you yank the fuel injector off. Easiest way is to start the car and unplug the fuel pump relay and let the car sputter and die. Otherwise you might end up taking a shower in gasoline.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
Also don't forget to purge the fuel system before you yank the fuel injector off. Easiest way is to start the car and unplug the fuel pump relay and let the car sputter and die. Otherwise you might end up taking a shower in gasoline.
HA...reminds me of the time my fuel pressure damper went out, and i replaced it on the side of the freeway, gasoline tastes like $h!t
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Doesn't post much...

I went to change my fuel filter once... Had the key in the "on" position so I could listen to the radio. Got a face full of gasoline when I pulled the bottom hose off . You should have seen me scrambling to get it back on while the pump just kept pushing more out. I'm sure it was pretty comical for an onlooker.

Rod.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I went to change my fuel filter once... Had the key in the "on" position so I could listen to the radio. Got a face full of gasoline when I pulled the bottom hose off . You should have seen me scrambling to get it back on while the pump just kept pushing more out. I'm sure it was pretty comical for an onlooker.

Rod.

hahahahah its comical to me now!!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I know someone who pulled a live plug wire off//shocked him and he threw it ion the fuel filter.. matter of a fact he is on zdriver.com
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM

I always keep plug wires new enough to be able to grab em with the motor on
Old 01-05-2006, 01:44 PM

Thank all of you for the tips. I'll collect my parts and start my project soon.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:59 AM

i just got some FI connectors from zcarparts.com they replace the old style, so you dont have to fidget with that retarded clip, just push the top down and it unhooks, plus no soldering needed, pretty cool sounding to me, ill let you guys know once i get them in tommorrow, tommorrow i put all my other 5 injectors, 6 new injector blocks, and 6 FI connectors....and a new fuel damper....lots o money
Old 01-10-2006, 10:30 AM
NisTuner

Rod you sound like me when I was trying to pull the fuel rail out. I couldn't get it around that stud, and so I thought well I'll undo this hose. I start undoing the metal line in front of the rail, I find out it's coolant. I unhook it and there's this geyser of coolant, and here I am scrambling to hook it back together. My brother come out and goes "What's all that green stuff on the floor?". It was comical. Anyway as with the injectors, yea it's not impossible, but don't expect to do it all in one day, especially if you don't have everything. For advice, when you're putting the injectors back in. Put the injectors in one at a time, then slide the rail in and then connect up the hoses from the injectors to the rail. I was trying to put the rail with injectors attached into the car. I wasted a couple hours trying it that way. It's really not that hard to get the clamps and the hose on the rail.

Oh and make sure you don't drop any sockets into the car in the process. Or if you do, don't start the car without finding the socket first. I did this and had to buy a new fan belt, I got pretty lucky that was all I had to deal with.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:37 PM

replaced all injectors, connectors and dampener in 2 hours flat! pretty fast for only my second time, those aftermarket connectors are a gift from god....so easy to use, great investment.