280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 PM

Car will not start

It will not crank, It turns over but sounds like its not getting fuel. I checked the spark ,its good. Then i cleaned tha gas tank out as it had been sitting for some time. Also changed the float assymbly and fuel pump. It gets fuel up to the fuel filter changed it then the fuel also gets up to the fuel pressure regulator. (changed that as well just in case) Where else do i go? is there a possibility that the computer is bad or that the injectors are shot etc.....

any help would be appriciated.
Thanks again
Old 02-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Doesn't post much...

^ Heh, He's got a picture of almighty L-Dubs car on his CarDomain page...

Rod.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:05 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yeah, MSA has been "illegally" using that same picture on their online store for years...

It's under their 'Style 3 Fiberglass Air Dam':

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...gory_Code=7FAD

They used to have a request for anyone that had the air dam installed to send in a picture.

They took it off the website when I emailed a pic of my car back to them...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Doesn't post much...

Thieving Bastiges!

Now I suppose somebody might want to address the topic of the thread...

It doesn't sound like a computer problem. I would start by checking all the connections and cleaning them up. That means, FI harnesses, CSV... all of them. If you're sure you are getting good spark, and you have fuel all the way to the regulator then it's probably going to be something small, irritating and easy to fix.

Rod.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:53 PM

Something small ehh. Like what???
im a noob with these cars and im totaly lost here. any suggestions. What could it be ?

thanks for all suggestions so far.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by Steves1979280zx
Something small ehh. Like what???
Just unplugging the harnes's at the injectors and cleaning any corrosion on there.. Make sure your not grounded out somewhere..
Old 02-13-2006, 10:02 AM

Okay, So I replaced the:
spark plugs
fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
spark plug wires
rotot button and cap
and still no joy. I did make some progress when i cleadned the corrosion out of the plugs going to the injectors (as suggested here thanks) and now if i pout fuel into the throttle body It will run for a a few seconds but it runs out of gas. Now its using more than what i put in the throttle body. So i assume my injectors are working. As well as i pulled the plugs and the have gas on them. Heres my question other than what else could be wrong.
When I put the key in and try to crank it theres a little box in the center of the console and it looks like there is the letter ok stitched in it. But rather than it coming up in red or any other color the whole box is just a red light. Is this possibly a computer issue ?
and if so where is the computer located?

thanks again for all your help Just hearing that thing crank after 13 years of sitting in a barn was amazing and i wouldnt have gotten that far without your help. Sounded amazing too.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:09 PM

Are you sure the injectors are firing?

The little box on the dash you're talking about is just a warning system. It's not related to the EFI at all. It just tells you if certain fluids are running low and if you've got a bad bulb or something like that. If it's red you can push the button and it should flash whats wrong with it. It just means somethings low or you've got a light out somewhere.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Check the distributor. Wiggle the shaft up and down, right to left. Any more than a few thousandths play, its junk. Double triple check the firing order, and make sure you have NO vacuum leaks. Dont fiddle with or adjust anything until all vacuum lines and electrical connections are perfect.