280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUYING TURBO STUFF..help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 PM

BUYING TURBO STUFF..help

Hey im starting to buy everything for my turbo swap and was wondering if it matters if i get a turbo ecu from an auto or manual trans? I HAVE AUTO RIGHT NOW AND AM GOING TO five speed after the turbo swap. Will an ecu from an auto work with one thats manual? i would figure that it wouldnt matter beings that the car uses the vacuum to tell it when to shift but just in case. Also, i have a basic setup up and am aiming to drift and my hp goal area is 350-400hp. some ideas of what turbo to get and wat trim and stuff would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 PM
eff good grammar

auto

10 char
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
The Good Twin

No... auto / manual doesn't matter for the turbo ecu. And seriously ponder finding a complete L28ET before spending twice as much time and money trying to piece it all together.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
No... auto / manual doesn't matter for the turbo ecu. And seriously ponder finding a complete L28ET before spending twice as much time and money trying to piece it all together.
Unless you know what you are looking for. And what you want to do. And you want to make it a learning experience. Which in my case...describes what I am doing. Also when it is difficult to find a turbo out here. The Z yard, wanted flippin' $750 just for the block. That is friggin' crazy if you ask me. By the time I would be done, I would have been spending $4-$5k or more on my turbo conversion. I know I wont be spending that much on mine. Anyway teenbmxer.... if you want 350-400hp. It will take you quite a bit of money knowledge. And of course time, and patience.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Ruff Ryder

anything above 300WHP will either require some serious money or an engine swap. IMHO you can buy a new sbc crate motor with a warranty and get the same HP if not more for about half the cost of building an L-series motor to the same level.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Unless you know what you are looking for. And what you want to do. And you want to make it a learning experience. Which in my case...describes what I am doing. Also when it is difficult to find a turbo out here. The Z yard, wanted flippin' $750 just for the block. That is friggin' crazy if you ask me. By the time I would be done, I would have been spending $4-$5k or more on my turbo conversion.
I see complete L28ET's quite a bit on ebay... usually go for $300-$500 + $200-$500 freight. This one you coulda almost driven to & picked up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I see complete L28ET's quite a bit on ebay... usually go for $300-$500 + $200-$500 freight. This one you coulda almost driven to & picked up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

Yeah I was watching that one too. Problem being...I ran out of money, and didn't have enough to charge it with. The other problem would have been. Going there to get it. I only have cars, no trucks. My Firebird, nor my Z's can haul an engine around. lol
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Über User

ill garuntee you could haul that in your Z. woulda had to lay it down, but these block honestly only weigh aboot 200 lbs. ive picked one up before on my own. well, that actualyl was a stripped block. but still just add another 100 lbs and call it even
Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
ill garuntee you could haul that in your Z. woulda had to lay it down, but these block honestly only weigh aboot 200 lbs. ive picked one up before on my own. well, that actualyl was a stripped block. but still just add another 100 lbs and call it even
Dude no way. That motor was fully together. Pretty much ready to put it another Z. Besides that, my interior is 95% done. And I would not put a dirty motor in there. And I know these motors are heavy. They weigh almost as much as a V-8. Because they are long gated. I also know because of moving one of my L28's. By hand across my carport. They are friggin' heavy. If I put that in the back of my Z. He would have bottomed out. Besides....I didn't have the money. I have stopped on getting any other turbo components. But when I do get set financially again. And I find a L28ET for the right price. I will get it, and either keep what I have already. Or sell the turbo parts I aquired.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

ok cool thanks. i kinda want a sbc but wont get that satifaction of building a straight six first. I know i can get mass amounts of power from an sbc but i want to test myself with the l28. i was thinking buying the distributor, ecu, oil pump, oil pan, oil lines and stuff then buy a hybrid t3/t4 turbo. and everyone already knows i have turbo injectors already haha.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Über User

turbo fuel rail is diff, same with the oil pump shaft, also the ecu harness and you need a way to plumb it, and a turbo AFM and exhaust manifold and down pipe and exhaust and TPS (though not needed still different the na one works though) plus changning the dizzy, oil pump & shaft you need to set it all in write for the proper timing to be achievable, and then actually time it. its alot of work. plus you need to wire it all up.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 PM

ya all that stuff to. but im not really worried about it. should actually be pretty easy.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Über User

easy.... not at all. hard? meh, challenging and time consuming. but by no means "easy". my swap gave me problems for months till i finally got it all worked out. mostly wiring issues, initially timing issues. also dead ecu issues. used parts are hit or miss unfortunatly, and i got a ECU that was on its way out. also, for all these parts fast, search EVERY listing in teh parts classified section on

zcar.com

and

classiczcars.com

i was just browsing through and they got EVERY part to do a complete turbo conversion.