280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang For Your Buck

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by bojo68
First of all, I can compare apple trees to road apples if I want to, i'm not stuck on the l28, or anything else for that matter, we're talking bang/buck, no holds barred...
what? that post wasnt even talking to you.

hes asking about bang for buck mods for his L28
Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by skib
what? that post wasnt even talking to you.

hes asking about bang for buck mods for his L28
He did not say that, he said bang/buck, there was no limitation to l anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 PM

I don't seem to be able to figure out how to post an asci file of a dyno curve of what I was willing to accept before Hoov shot his mouth off, suffice it to say peak engine hp is approx 4x what claims is his rwhp. Of course now that he's pissed me off(don't EVER call ME a liar) that's history..
Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 PM
This facepalm's for you!

He did not say that, he said bang/buck, there was no limitation to l anything.
the context of the original post was bang/buck for his car (and the natural implication of the motor in it) not what motor to swap.

Originally Posted by awilkie
"What would your list of specific (brands/websites) bang:buck performance parts be if you were on a budget of $200/mo and what order would you do these in?"

and he dosent seem to be up/able to do a JZ swap in his Z anyway

Originally Posted by awilkie
How much gain is there from doing the AFM swap & which of the 2 would you suggest?
Also, what brand of headers would you use?

As far as engine work goes, I won't be able to do any rebuilding any time soon. So tearing the engine down is a no go. Is there a way to do ITB's without a custom ECU to control then? Also, when you're talking about the KA24 throttle body swap, are you talking about the part that bolts on to the stalks? Is a specific adapter plate required?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 PM

the context of the original post was bang/buck for his car (and the natural implication of the motor in it) not what motor to swap.

and he dosent seem to be up/able to do a JZ swap in his Z anyway
Well, if you want to make such assumptions, fine, but that is NOT what was asked.
He very simply asked bang/buck, and I'm not making any judgements as to what he is/is not up to.
Guess it's up to him, but my response was well within the original question.

edit: I did not suggest a jz swap, if your going to swap, put in something decent... only commented that it would have been nice if datsun had made a block that could match it....

Last edited by bojo68; 08-12-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Ruff Ryder

I don't seem to be able to figure out how to post an asci file of a dyno curve of what I was willing to accept before Hoov shot his mouth off, suffice it to say peak engine hp is approx 4x what claims is his rwhp. Of course now that he's pissed me off(don't EVER call ME a liar) that's history..
I'm keeping my mouth shut to your (ridiculous) post's, as you seem to be digging your own grave. And I'll be damned if I'm going to let a liar drag me down in with you.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by hoov100
I'm keeping my mouth shut to your (ridiculous) post's, as you seem to be digging your own grave.
ditto
Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ASA240z
Ouch!!! 1500!!

Id stick with the the stock FI for now and just live with it. You probably get better results (more fun) on focusing on the suspension of the car.

Honestly, how much knowledge/experience do you have on working on cars. Knowing that should give us an idea of what would be obtainable.
I'm fairly limited in experience when it comes to modifying parts to fit, although I am getting better as I learn. Bolt-ons and tuning I can do pretty well. When it comes to fabrication, I'm a newb & don't have access to the tools necessary to do the big swaps.

As far as pulling power out of my Z, I originally wanted to RB swap it, but that's going to be pricey. From what I've seen, good power can be pulled from the L28.

I want to keep it NA and I want to get to about 220hp (Would settle for 200hp with reduced vehicle weight). I'm limited to $200/mo at the most right now for budget too. Throttle response & handling are more important to me than going fast, but I definitely want to be able to take off & break the back end loose if I want to.

Last edited by awilkie; 08-12-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Ruff Ryder

I have the ultimate suggestion....

make it...............reliable..................
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
This facepalm's for you!

I have the ultimate suggestion....

make it...............reliable..................

agreed.

you woulnt be able to get 220hp out of your N/A L with out some real work thats going to take alot more than "bolt on" experience
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
i felld offa mai trike

And that comment had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

ANYWAYS BACK ON TOPIC. I DON'T CARE WHAT A V8 DOES FOR A Z, NOR A 1JZ/2JZ, OR RB. The OP even mentioned that he doesn't necessarily like turbo cars, and would prefer an NA build up. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want a V8 in his Z, either...

On the Cressida AFM swap, the biggest thing with that is that you're going to have to swap the circuit boards in the AFM from your car to the one in the Cressida AFM, as stated in this write-up: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/a...ade/index.html

A KA24 Throttle body (60mm) swap is ONLY going to replace the stock Throttle body (50mm) on the stock intake manifold, whereas the triple webers are three carburetors that have one throat for each cylinder, from 40mm per cylinder to 50mm per cylinder (compared to only the one 60mm that has to feed all six cylinders ) if you do decide to go with the triple Webers, you're going to have to change the fuel pump to a carburetor fuel pump, along with some pretty complex tuning with jets and stuff.

Here's a write-up on a KA24 Throttle body install: http://www.graytechsoftware.com/garage/tbs_linkage.asp

To mount the throttle body that way you're going to need a 1" adaptor, you can buy one, or make it yourself, I personally am making one out of wood for a friend of mine (it's what we had laying around at the time, and wood is easy to work with lol)

As far as a header goes, if your going to take it all apart to do a header swap, you may as well port the intake runners while you're at it, pretty much any header is good, if I had the chance to do it again, I'd buy one that was actually made for a 280ZX instead of a 280Z (BUT IT WAS IN THE JUNKYARD! ) Here's a write-up on a header install (actually just a gasket change, but instead you're taking the stock manifold out and putting a header back on in place ) :https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/how-do-your-intake-exhaust-gasket-18779/
Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by PurePontiacKid
I personally am making one out of wood for a friend of mine (it's what we had laying around at the time, and wood is easy to work with lol)
lolz for real?

wood?

just cough up the $43 and get a nice alum one with hardware from Dave @ Arizona Z car
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
i felld offa mai trike

shipping sucks yo

That, and why pay that much for something that'll work just as well for free? (he's gonna paint it so we don't have bare wood in the engine bay though lol) and it'll work as an insulator (even though it doesn't matter on throttle bodies :P )

Last edited by PurePontiacKid; 08-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM
This facepalm's for you!

shipping sucks yo

That, and why pay that much for something that'll work just as well for free? (he's gonna paint it so we don't have bare wood in the engine bay though lol) and it'll work as an insulator (even though it doesn't matter on throttle bodies :P )

mine was $43 shipped

lol least get some of that hard plastic **** (blanking on the name)

edit: alum spacer running the 60mm
Name:  P1020863.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  118.8 KB
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 PM

I'm keeping my mouth shut to your (ridiculous) post's, as you seem to be digging your own grave. And I'll be damned if I'm going to let a liar drag me down in with you.
GOT ANY MONEY FOOL?? There's a dyno day comin up the end of the month...

Let's make it clear for you retarded, I'll bet 2k$ that I can make a 5 cyl l28 beat the crap out of your chevy for less than 200$. Come on mr smart guy...

Last edited by bojo68; 08-12-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Ruff Ryder

huh? money is something i have tons of.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 PM
i felld offa mai trike

lol Skib, I'm not the only one to do the wood spacer, there's a guy on hybridz that did it, too. our spacer isn't that thick, but the throttle clears just the same.

And by shipping sucks is that I hate waiting for stuff to come lol
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 PM
This facepalm's for you!

GOT ANY MONEY FOOL?? There's a dyno day comin up the end of the month...
Name:  E-thug.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  53.1 KB
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 PM
This facepalm's for you!

lol Skib, I'm not the only one to do the wood spacer, there's a guy on hybridz that did it, too. our spacer isn't that thick, but the throttle clears just the same.

And by shipping sucks is that I hate waiting for stuff to come lol

lolz Iv seen it what ever works I guess
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 PM

So you showin up at the dyno day in Troutdale in a couple of weeks?? Ya got a mouth like HOOV? I'll be there and more than glad to talk in person..
verbaly or otherwise.. Don't forget, you live less than 10 miles from me, you don't have the excuses he does...
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Ruff Ryder

wow man, you have some serious issues if you think talking crap over the internet makes you a bad ***.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Ruff Ryder

lmao on second thought, if you could manage to do something to skib you have to deal with ALOT of pissed of z car people.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 PM
This facepalm's for you!

So you showin up at the dyno day in Troutdale in a couple of weeks?? Ya got a mouth like HOOV? I'll be there and more than glad to talk in person..
verbaly or otherwise.. Don't forget, you live less than 10 miles from me, you don't have the excuses he does...

is it the one on the 29th? at forged?

do tell, what dose otherwise Intel?

Last edited by skib; 08-12-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
This facepalm's for you!

lmao on second thought, if you could manage to do something to skib you have to deal with ALOT of pissed of z car people.
hahaha
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Ruff Ryder

and where does he get off threatening you? out of everyone on this forum.....

Quick Reply: Bang For Your Buck