280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

280zx widow-maker project. Need Build Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by JPerkins
does the 300zxturbo still use the T-5 Trans?
The 84-86 did. I believe in 87 they stopped using it. I know the 88/89's don't. Check out www.az-zbum.com for the answer.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 PM

junkyard ******

theres a 74 z-car at a local junkyard thats got a pretty smashed up body but the engine and tranny is still good. Owner wants $225 for the the tranny. Now, i know the manual tansmission has another sensor to add, so what else do i need to grab while i'm scavenging this tranny? Shroud, cluth petal, etc..?

P.S. Im thinking about snatching the speedometer out of it too. my stock one only reads to 80mph. Does it just wire in or do i need to recalibrate something for it to read correctly?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 AM
The Good Twin

theres a 74 z-car at a local junkyard thats got a pretty smashed up body but the engine and tranny is still good. Owner wants $225 for the the tranny. Now, i know the manual tansmission has another sensor to add, so what else do i need to grab while i'm scavenging this tranny? Shroud, cluth petal, etc..?

P.S. Im thinking about snatching the speedometer out of it too. my stock one only reads to 80mph. Does it just wire in or do i need to recalibrate something for it to read correctly?
There's only one sensor on the manual tranny... the reverse switch. If you are converting from auto to manual you need everything that makes the manual work, pedals, clutch master & slave cylinders, lines, etc.

Also... the 240z-280z (S30) speedo is much different than the 280zx (S130) speedo. A quick look at the two will tell you that.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Big Poppa

thxone, that is flywheel hp that nissan states, so your rear wheel hp is prolly gonna make you cry, minus aboot 35-40 hp. i prolly got up to 250 at the motor, but me wheels cant put out more than 220 and thats tops all this driveline takes up lots o power, all those driveshafts, independant handles better, but sucks up some power.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
thxone, that is flywheel hp that nissan states, so your rear wheel hp is prolly gonna make you cry, minus aboot 35-40 hp. i prolly got up to 250 at the motor, but me wheels cant put out more than 220 and thats tops all this driveline takes up lots o power, all those driveshafts, independant handles better, but sucks up some power.
I Know that Shady...that was one of the last things I said in my last post in here. Don't make me race you for pinks.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Found that damn grimelin

Found the grimelin that was eatin my baby. Wasn't the cylinder head temp sensor, it was the wires going to it. 25 years old the housing was dry rotted and the wires were pulling out of the back.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:28 AM

Fixed it.

alright. i got a new housing for the CHTS connector and yanked the mangled EGS and put in a new one. previous owner had cut the old wire down to a nub (i wanna stangle him) , so i had to run a new wire, unfortunately not insulated. i worked with what i had at the moment. Shes slowly retuning to fully functional stock. One little peice at a time.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Big Poppa

sorry thxone, prolly shouldnt read these when im super tired!! good to see you found the problem jperkins
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Dissappointment!!!!!

damnit. i just got left stranded on the other side of base with the same damn problem. i guess i didn't fix it. ******&^#!!! This is gettin frustrating.

Anybody Know a good Z mechanic in the OKC Area? I'm gonna need some help with this one. i got a 1000 mile round trip to make and the deadline is coming up fast. Gotta be on the road by the 25th. Screw widowmakers and turbo mods. i just want the friggin car to Run and quit clonkin on me and i'm still too new to Z cars to know what i'm really lookin for to fix.

Last edited by JPerkins; 08-10-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 PM

jperkins, im in okc, i just bought my 280zx.. i know of one in jones, his name is larry lyons
Old 08-19-2007, 05:20 PM

alright. I've capped off the vacume line running to the EGR valve to see if that was the problem and it ran great there for a little while. wouldn't die after a run on the interstate. Idled just fine. even felt like the turbo had more UMPH! but now it'll die on me after a certain period of time. usually a pretty short time. i crawled under it right after it died and felt the fuel pump. it wasn't hot so i don't think the pumps burnin up. the first time it died on me like this i pulled the wire runnin from the ignition coil to the distributor cap and it was getting fire, but the second time it died on me i did the same thing and nothing. no spark. so i'm gettin a new coil to see if thats whats eatting my lunch here.

P.S. WTH is up with this Haynes repair manual? None of the colors on the wiring charts match at all.

Last edited by JPerkins; 08-19-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 PM

ignition coil

alright. i've slapped in a brand new ignition coil and have it running in the parking lot. ive ran the revs up and held it there for a while and let back off. its idling fine. hasnt died yet. i'm about to take it out for a spin around the base to see if it dies on me again.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 PM

1 hour of the hardest driving i've ever put an engine through, and its still tickin like a swiss clock. everything from idleing in gear to WFO on the interstate. I TRIED to redline this engine on the strait away......but it scared me. Hit 80 in no time and just kept accellerating till it was shakin so bad i thought i was gonna lose it. No idea how fast i was going, but it was a rush. i'ma go wash and clean it reall nice now. I am one happy lil ****.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 PM
The Good Twin

Cool... but running the motor to redline & beating it isn't the best way to prove that it's okay. It soon WON'T be okay if you keep doing that.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 PM

i don't plan on keepin on doing that. i just wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna caput on me just a little while after it got runnin. hence the hour drive as opposed to a 15 minute run. I thought i fixed it before and it crapped out on me when i really didn't need it to. (150 bucks to have it towed back to base + 80 for new starter and 40 for new ignition coil) So i ran it through the ringer as best i could before i light out for south Louisiana from oklahoma city.

BTW. is all the hype about Iridium spark plugs really true? i mean, are they as good as they say they are?

Last edited by JPerkins; 08-20-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

BTW. is all the hype about Iridium spark plugs really true? i mean, are they as good as they say they are?
Yes and no. It is mostly true, but generally not worth what they want for them at the auto parts store.

Get a set of cheap basic NGK BPR6ES plugs and a set of Nissan factory plug wires and you'll get 99% of what an Iridium plug will give you in these cars.

Save the rest of your money for Redline oil changes! Now THAT stuff works!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by lww
Yes and no. It is mostly true, but generally not worth what they want for them at the auto parts store.

Get a set of cheap basic NGK BPR6ES plugs and a set of Nissan factory plug wires and you'll get 99% of what an Iridium plug will give you in these cars.

Save the rest of your money for Redline oil changes! Now THAT stuff works!
BPR6ES is your friend.

Redline = Good

Royal Purple = Great

Royal Purple > Redline

Rod.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
BPR6ES is your friend.

Redline = Good

Royal Purple = Great

Royal Purple > Redline

Rod.

I'm gonna sound like such a noob when i ask this, but uh, whats redline and royal purple?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Doesn't post much...

I'm gonna sound like such a noob when i ask this, but uh, whats redline and royal purple?
Synthetic motor oils...

No0b!

Rod.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 PM

oh. Thats great news to hear, cuz i just changed the oil, and i did use synthetics.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Did you use RedLine or Royal Purple?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM

i honestly can't recall. i just grabbed the only synthetic motor oil they stocked here at the base exchange.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Big Poppa

dont forget mobil one and lucas oil. those are both very good choices. i personally dont like the the royal purple. but that is only a personal choice.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Über User

i no longer like royal purple. even though im sure its not its fault, i still feel this way. i got some gear oil for LSD rear end put it in and yeah, i got a one tire fire action in my Z32 from that moment on. i was pissed to say the least. even tried the additive for lsd and did nothing. im sure the clutches were just getting worn and old, but i find it funny to have happened immediatly after the lube change.... ERIC ANGRY! Mobil 1 FTW though. and i would use redline in my tranny any day.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:57 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ I have a feeling it was something other than Royal Purple (unless it was the wrong grade oil)... Did you ever lift the rear & make sure both tires would spin the same way??

Quick Reply: 280zx widow-maker project. Need Build Advice