280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after market stereos

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM

after market stereos

I'm installing a new 1 din am/fm cd player in my 82 280zx, will the voice alarm system still work with aftermarket systems?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM
The Good Twin

Yep. The voice warning uses the dash center speaker... just connect the head unit L Front wires to the L Front (aka center) dash speaker wiring in the stock harness.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM

I have a question and rather than start a new thread I thought i would add it to this one. All I really want is to use my Ipod as my sound system. Is it possible to simply hook the ipod up to an amp and speakers and run it directly through the amp. I have a set of powered speakers at home that I use this way and thought I may be able to do the same in the car. That way I can keep my stock am fm radio and use the ipod for the real music.
any ideas
Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Yes. Unless you have a 30 pin to RCA input cable, you will have to use a 3.5mm to RCA cable, but it certainly will work. I have seen it done mostly in Miata drop tops to prevent theft.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Thanks Murphy, I appreciate that. Seems like a good way to go to me.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM

No problemo.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM

ok another question: has anyone purchased the rear panel with the two 6X9 speaker holes in it. Is it worth it, or is it better to just put the speakers elsewhere, behind the seats or something?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:30 PM

I know that multiple people have, and they enjoy them. Acoustically, they are better placed there rather than behind the seats, but I personally have never really liked how they look. I have two 6x9s where the stock speakers were behind the seats, and a 12" sub built into my spare tire cover. To each their own. Not many people feel the need for subs in our cars, but some still do. I have been told that the 6x9 boxes are good quality, but have never physically seen them.

Gotta love being a auto tech at best buy. Lol.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
The Good Twin

I have 8" Kickers tied down at the back (horns are disconnected), pushed by a Rockford Fosgate amp in the spare tire well... Light weight, sound great, and not very visible.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM

Need info on "classic" stereo equipment

Hi guys, still struggling with how and what to do to upgrade original stereo. I have found some excellent "classic" stereo equipment that I am seriously considering purchasing and having installed in my 81 turbo ZX. First of is a Technics R9300 cassette deck that I could apparently hood ipod up to. (Cannot find any info on it in google.) any of you guys own or owned one and can fill me in on it. (What I like about it is it is a similar vintage of the car but appears to be a definite upgrade if it is as good as advertised).
To go with that is some nice A/D/S/ tweeters and A/D/S #AL 5 high performance Bass midrange Driver door speakers.... There are also amps, subs and other stuff available....

Ok your thoughts on going this route would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
The Good Twin

Anything aftermarket "vintage" would require yanking the silver stereo face right?

And a tape deck? Do you own any tapes? I can't think of a single reason to buy a tape deck... even for "vintage's" sake. If your car has 32 miles on it, and will forever reside on a Nissan showroom floor, I can see the reason for keeping a vintage look, otherwise it's just a waste of time and money. Yank the stock piece o crapper and install an MP3 / ipod / bluetooth head unit. Or leave the stock unit, and install the new unit in the glove box, with new wiring.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 AM

I like the panel!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Zed59
Hi guys, still struggling with how and what to do to upgrade original stereo. I have found some excellent "classic" stereo equipment that I am seriously considering purchasing and having installed in my 81 turbo ZX. First of is a Technics R9300 cassette deck that I could apparently hood ipod up to. (Cannot find any info on it in google.) any of you guys own or owned one and can fill me in on it. (What I like about it is it is a similar vintage of the car but appears to be a definite upgrade if it is as good as advertised).
To go with that is some nice A/D/S/ tweeters and A/D/S #AL 5 high performance Bass midrange Driver door speakers.... There are also amps, subs and other stuff available....

Ok your thoughts on going this route would be appreciated.
Thanks
Yes you can play your ipod through a cassette deck. Just get a tape adapter, and plug it into the earphone jack on the ipod. That is what I do when playing it outside on my old boombox. It helps when working outside on the cars and such.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Zed59
ok another question: has anyone purchased the rear panel with the two 6X9 speaker holes in it. Is it worth it, or is it better to just put the speakers elsewhere, behind the seats or something?
I have the one from Motorsport which you are asking about. I love the location of it, and it is a clean look. And sounds really nice with the 6 x 9's. And I have 2 6" speakers in the stock locations behind the seats. Then all is powered with a JVC USB, and auxillary aftermarket stereo that has a purple display. Which all my interior lighting is.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:07 AM

Thanks NISMO you are probably right. I have not talked to the guy about money specifics yet but I think he wants big bucks for it too. However, I do have tapes (lol) and quite a few of them. I can live with a casette deck no problem as long as it works perfectly and looks good. He makes the argument, and I think it's true, that the older equipment is made much better than today's. This was built in the late 80s and looks solid. The coloured lights are even the same colour as the original stereo. Anyway thanks for your input. Will probably go your route anyway...

thanks again
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I have the one from Motorsport which you are asking about. I love the location of it, and it is a clean look. And sounds really nice with the 6 x 9's. And I have 2 6" speakers in the stock locations behind the seats. Then all is powered with a JVC USB, and auxillary aftermarket stereo that has a purple display. Which all my interior lighting is.
Wildman: that sounds like a nice setup and will be close to mine once I figure out which way I want to go. I still like the retro look of the older casette but I can see the logic of putting in all new stuff too.... I am going to head over to some audio outlets to get some costs of what I want to do....
I am not looking for big bass etc (I am 55 years old) and would rather quality sound over loud with big bass.... Springsteen fanatic...
LOL
Thanks for your response.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Pyle Audio makes an amp that is really small (Like 3" x 5" by 1.5")and has a remote 3.5mm jack that mounts very discretely. You can stuff it just about anywhere and then discretely mount the jack to maintain the vintage look of your original head unit. I bought the waterproof model with marine speakers for my boat and was very impressed with the sound. I think I paid less than $130 for the whole shebang.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Problem solved

PXi50.2 | KICKER
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM

You might be able to go the route of installing a 300 watt (which should be plenty) get a cheap full range headphone to rca cable (pod to amp respectively) and be fine... but in all seriousness i would just get a head unit with aux input so you can still listen to cd's and most head units also have usb/sd slot which allow alot of music without all the wires and charging players etc....

The only question I have for this thread is where do you find the dash install kit (the faceplate)

The 6x9 setup looks neat... I might have to look into building one if i cant get enough out of the stock locations....

Last edited by robinhoodahm; 06-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.