300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

may be in the market soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Opinionated

may be in the market soon

Well my moms friend has basically convinced her that the z31 i have is more trouble than anything and that "We should look into a new car" so im working on getting her to look into the z32's. Ive noticed that generally the z32's on ebay for for alot more than in other places. Im not much of a Z32 guy (i dont know anything about them really). What sort of prices are we looking at? Any ideas on how i can try to talk my mom into a Z32?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Über User

if money and breaking down is an issue a z32 probly issnt hte way to go. we have alot of problems our selves and servicinig theese beeasats arae a chore. u havae aalot to learan aobu tehm. and they have some common problemes that re-ocur.

ps. sorry about the typing im on this crappy laptop.

oh and we need more info to just give u prices. like milage u want. whaat yeara. a twin turbo or an NA. manaual automaatic....what, detaiils details.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
if money and breaking down is an issue a z32 probly issnt hte way to go. we have alot of problems our selves and servicinig theese beeasats arae a chore. u havae aalot to learan aobu tehm. and they have some common problemes that re-ocur.

ps. sorry about the typing im on this crappy laptop.

oh and we need more info to just give u prices. like milage u want. whaat yeara. a twin turbo or an NA. manaual automaatic....what, detaiils details.
Well, honestly, i dont care about my z31, im just looking to give my mom a reason so i can get a z32 (im not to worried about them having issues). As far as details, im looking for something in the 90-94 range, manua, N/A. Milage, prefferably low but not a huge factor as long as it runs smooth.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:05 PM

You can pick up a non turbo Z32 for relatively little green and in great shape. Step into the twin turbo realm and you'll have to dig a little deeper into the pocket book for one in good condition. But who knows, maybe you'll find something for really cheap cause somebody just really needs to get rid of it. www.autotraderonline.com is a good place to check out what the price ranges are. Try to stay away from anything thats been too molested unless the person can really account for the quality of everything done to the car.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Opinionated

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=123

what do you guys think of something like that?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:54 PM

Its hard to say without seeing and driving the car in person. If the rest of the car is as good as the body looks in that pic than yeah, I'd say thats a good price. It also depends on the mileage. Of course it all comes down to what you're willing to pay for the car. Then find the best one you can that still fits within your budget.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Its hard to say without seeing and driving the car in person. If the rest of the car is as good as the body looks in that pic than yeah, I'd say thats a good price. It also depends on the mileage. Of course it all comes down to what you're willing to pay for the car. Then find the best one you can that still fits within your budget.
147,000 miles, im going to talk to my mom about it tonight and my buddy told me i should have the guy do a carfax report for me and then he would take me out there to test drive it and look at it in person.

::edit:: sorry i put the wrong link for some reason

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=en&cardist=66
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Opinionated

the guy responded to my email with more pics. the car looks mint aside some minor interior damage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...k999/Front.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ck999/Rear.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...k999/Right.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Passenger.jpg
Old 02-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Opinionated

also, about how much does it cost per year to run a Z32? maintenence ect ect. Anything i should be aware of when buying a z32?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:21 PM

Thats a nice car. I see no reason not to get it as long as it runs and drives well and has been properly maintained. You might try seeking something with lower mileage but if that one was well taken car of then it's not too big a deal.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Über User

hmm...maintanence....someone just recently estimated 500-1200 a year but i dotn know how accurate that is. for me all my stuff was basically original so my one year ownership is coming this april i think and im close to spending a grand on the car. and gas milage isnt exactly friendly. i dotn know what its listed as but you can expect about 17 miles to the gallon. once i got about 400 miles to a tank. but usually im closer to 250 miles a tank or 200.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

keep the z31 if you are worried about maitinence costs. and make sure you find the right one, it's hard to not jump on the first halfway decent one. i looked for a long time at a lot of cars before i found my z32, and it was well worth it. i know it's tough, and there were a few times i felt like relaxing my standards a bit just to get one, especially when the tranny in my z31 started to act up. but i got over it and kept looking. This sticky should help out with some of the common things to be aware of when looking for a z32. and just use your gut instinct too. there were a few cars that looked fine but just gave off a weird vibe. with a little digging i usually found some shady stuff, not necessarily bad, but enough to make me walk. if you do decide to go the z32 route, good luck. there is a world of difference between the z32 and z31.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 AM
Opinionated

I got an email back from the guy and this is what he said:

I bought the car at 113k miles in 2000. It had a cam seal oil leak which ruined the alternator. At that time I did the 120k service. I replaced alternator, engine oil seals, timing belt, clutch, accessory belts, air filter, plugs, front brake pads and rotors, front tension rod bushings, 4 new tokico adjustable shocks, stillen aluminum flywheel, stainless brake lines, unorthodox racing aluminum underdrive pulley, stillen cone air filter at purchase. I think I've got receipts for most of these items. I haven't had any problems and haven't put many miles on the car. I always used mobil 1 synthetic oil, but mechanically these engines are like anvils, unless you get electrical problems.

It has a minor oil pan leak, and the bose sound system doesn't work. It shows some wear, but overall you can see from the pictures it still looks good.

::Edit:: How much would it cost to fix the oil pan leak? Im not really concered with the sound system as id change that right away.

Last edited by 91Zman; 02-22-2006 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Opinionated

nothing? anyone?

Just called my insurance company, they said my insurance costs would be about the same, waiting for mom to call me back, probably go this weekend to look/buy it.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Über User

oil pan leaks arent exactly easy to fix alot of work. never doneit i just no it isnt good. depends though if mabye the plug is leaking? or if its a very slow leak no emergency yet.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
oil pan leaks arent exactly easy to fix alot of work. never doneit i just no it isnt good. depends though if mabye the plug is leaking? or if its a very slow leak no emergency yet.
Any idea on costs to fix it?

& Z32s are pretty reliable right?

Last edited by 91Zman; 02-22-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:14 PM

Reliable or not, when something goes wrong on the Z32 it's not going to be nearly as easy or cheap to fix as a previous generation. It's a beautiful machine and, while I've never owned one, I've had close friends with them and they are great machines to drive. But working on one is another story. Getting work done to them tends to cost more too cause labor times go up. My S130 is the easiest car to work on I've ever owned (well except for rusted and broken bolts from age). But if the car already has issues then chances are things are NOT going to get better with time. You should try looking for something with no issues. Go drive it and then look at some more. I guarantee that wont be the last Z32 for that price that you find. Take your time and find the right one. A Z32 is not a car you want to be too hasty to buy. That can really bite you in the ***. I've seen a few friends break down because of their Z32's. Sure their Z's were faster than mine, but mine spent more time on the road. Not because they were having an absurd amount of repairs being done, but because each repair was so expensive or took so long to fix.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:15 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by 86zMan
Z32s are pretty reliable right?
as reliable as you make them. just take care of it and dont thrash it. there are always going to be little things, and more of them than on a more practical car. but hey, its a sports car.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by entropy31
as reliable as you make them. just take care of it and dont thrash it. there are always going to be little things, and more of them than on a more practical car. but hey, its a sports car.
My mom is trying to talk me into having my step dads car (dont ask why). Its an 89 Supercharged Thunderbird pushing 300+ HP with dual Flowmasters...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Opinionated

Well as long as the Z doesn't sell before Friday night (this will be the 2 longest days of my life) then my mom is going to drive me the hour and a half from Gainesville to Jacksonville to look at the car, and hopefully everything will check out and drive home with it.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 PM

I hope it works out for you. Good luck
Old 02-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I hope it works out for you. Good luck
Thanks. Keep an eye on the thread im sure ill be keeping everyone informed of whats going on =)
Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 PM
confuzed member

I'm guessing your dad's car has more than dual flows. Stock those cars have 210hp at the crank. Even with upped boost with the stock blower...you really only still get 250hp out of it.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:06 PM

hey 86z if u dont like the one were u are at i might have one u might like that i will sell to u , but it only needs one thing thats it all matinence has been done ..the only reason why i would sell it anyways is because i found out the 2+2 280zx's 300zx's are the only ones for me... =-) the 2 seaters are cool if u are like 5ft 10 150 lbs witch i am not lol
Old 02-22-2006, 11:43 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by nismo619
the 2 seaters are cool if u are like 5ft 10 150 lbs witch i am not lol
funny, i'm 6'4" 250 lbs and have no problem fitting in my 2 seater. i dont even have the seat all the way back. both 2 seat and 2+2 z32s had the same ammount of room for the driver.

Quick Reply: may be in the market soon