240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Starter Issue

I've got a weird problem.......well I inherited a weird problem I guess.

The guy that had my car before me did some interesting wiring. Since the combination switch went out he took the rear defogger switch and converted it to the headlight switch and took a different switch which hasn't been identified yet and made it the windshield wipers. He also decided that a button start ignition switch would be cool on the center console. This being gay....I set out to fix them.

I got a new combination switch from a yard in Arkansas which came in perfect....I now have BRIGHT lights and strong wipers and now am working on wiring up the ignition switch on the column (I don't know if you remember, but I had to replace the complete ignition unit not long ago) which I know should be fine. He had cut the BY wire, but I have corrected this.

However now alls I get is the pump click when turning over the key and an OCCASIONAL jump from the starter.....more like a twitch really.

What I have done so far to fix the issue:

Checked each wire coming from the ignition switch with a test light which has been positive for power. (Black & Yellow wire only tests positive while turning the key to the start position)

Checked all leads from the battery to the starter. Both the positive and the ground are secure along with the Yellow & White wire.

Checked all fuses regarding the ignition...this includes the Interlock system.

Removed the starter and took it to a local parts shop for testing. (I was too lazy to do this myself) They said the starter is fine.

I'm letting the battery charge again now.....could this be an issue with the ignition interlock system? I hope not.....it seems complicated lol

Thanks in advance for all your help....
Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM

and on a side note.... just noticed that as I turn the key over the AMP gauge kicks to the far left. Actually if I used any electronics it does this now. Even the cig lighter....which didn't work until i started with screwing with all this.

I love how that works....all the little stuff thats cool works but now I cant get the engine to turn over hahaha
Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 AM

So I wonder if this battery could be dead......I'ma swap out to my daily drivers Optima to see if it makes a difference.

Could a ground be the culprit? I know the big ones seem clean and secure.

Sorry to keep replying...just rattling things off until someone saves my *** haha
Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Omg, you have the exact same problems i do.

The guy before me took the windshield wiper switch and made it the push button start. THE DAY BEFORE I BOUGHT IT, after i had come to look at the car, and after i had test driven it.

He messed with something, idk what. But now i have your same problem.

I remember the wire he used for the Push Button was in one of the relays next to the overflow bottle...

BRB rewiring entire car cause of stupid people.

Lemmy know if you find anything out, our problems are 100% identical, and i've been trying to figure it out since about late september.

Edit: I know yours is an S30, and mine is an S130, but they're relatively the same car, cept for a few cockpit/electrical and engine differences.

Does your battery drain almost instantly?

I have a wire thats constantly hot all the time. And when i try to start the car i loose like 3 amps from the battery. Its ridiculous.

I'm just tryin to get my baby to run again.

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 01-10-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Well....I finally got it fixed....but it was my fault haha. The previous owner had an additional cable coming from the + on the battery. This made it appear as though it was attached correctly.....but I hadn't actually secured both of the wires....that guy is a douche.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Omg, you have the exact same problems i do.

The guy before me took the windshield wiper switch and made it the push button start. THE DAY BEFORE I BOUGHT IT, after i had come to look at the car, and after i had test driven it.

He messed with something, idk what. But now i have your same problem.

I remember the wire he used for the Push Button was in one of the relays next to the overflow bottle...

BRB rewiring entire car cause of stupid people.

Lemmy know if you find anything out, our problems are 100% identical, and i've been trying to figure it out since about late september.

Edit: I know yours is an S30, and mine is an S130, but they're relatively the same car, cept for a few cockpit/electrical and engine differences.

Does your battery drain almost instantly?

I have a wire thats constantly hot all the time. And when i try to start the car i loose like 3 amps from the battery. Its ridiculous.

I'm just tryin to get my baby to run again.
The only way that I was able to fix the problem is take about 3 days and trace each wire and document his changes as I went through. I used masking tape and a sharpie kinda made a miniharness for each appliance....just in case I couldn't get things to work through the original.

I then sat down and examined the wiring diagrams for each individual appliance or object until I was pretty well familiar with the color coding and junction location. Then checked the wiring at the combination switch with a test light and repaired broken wires. It all took a lot of time and learning, but it was well worth it

I would recommend starting at the primary grounding locations....I'm not sure if it would be much different in the S130 tho.

Let me know how it works out! I'll try my best to help you along the way if ya need me.