240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Relocating stereo speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 AM

Relocating stereo speakers

As I work through the little things in the interior, I have reached the stereo.

A JVC head unit has been installed at some point. I know it's not "original" looking, but I'm keeping it.

Speakers are the next thing. Holes for 4x6 and 6x9 speakers have been cut into the rear deck material. I'm going to grab some wood and re-create the front half of the rear deck, reusing the rear half that covers the spare since it's fine.

I plan on using a small box for either 6x9, 6 1/2, or 6 3/4 speakers. That way I could have one on each side and not cut big holes in the rear deck. Rear is easy.

Front speakers... I DON'T want to remove the dash. I'm thinking some speakers 3 1/2 or 4 inch speakers in the front section of the console, just below the dash would work. To picture it, it would basically be on either side of the head unit.

Anybody have any experience with this location? Any reason why I shouldn't give it a shot?

Thanks!

JM
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 AM

So, with no replies, I forged ahead.

I ordered some Kicker KS40 speakers for the front. These are basic 4" speakers. I did a rough cutout (3.5" or so) in both sides of the console where it comes up from the transmission hump to meet the dash. There is plenty of room depth-wise without hitting the CD player.

I replace the rear decking material with plywood too. The original material had holes in it where a previous installation of pair of 4x6 speakers (front channel) in it and another pair of 6x9 speakers (rear channel) as well. Now, I have a solid rear deck again.

For the rear speakers I'm re-using the 6x9s there were originally mounted in the deck. I'm using a basic 6x9 speaker box for each speaker. Each mounted vertically, one behind the driver's seat, and one behind the passenger seat, turned where they're facing each other across the interior of the car. I've also got a little (50 watt x2) amp coming too. I've already laid the wiring and am just waiting on the pieces to come in.

Pics coming this evening.

JM
Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM

i mounted a pair of dome tweeters in the console where the cig lighter and factory stereo control **** were. i have a pair of 6x9s in the rear in boxes but I have them mounted upright between the strut towers with a single 12 inch sub between them firing upwards and slightly to the rear ( at about the same angle as the glass.) small amp on the sub and everything else powered by a jvc deck (22w x 4). Its about as basic and cheap ($400 for everything brand new) for a system as you could get but it sounds very good in the little zx's cabin.