240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New member doing research for a blog

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 AM

New member doing research for a blog

Hello all,

I'm a new member here doing research for a blog I will be creating. As an avid classic car nut i have come to realize that there are far too many cool cars out there and i will never be rich enough to have a collection of all the stuff i like. What I'm planning to do is sell my nice Audi TT and use a classic car as my daily driver. And by daily driver, I mean rain or shine, 365 days a year, even through the snow filled winters here in Utah. The premise of the blog is that I will be buying a new classic car every year so I can actually own and enjoy all the cars out there that I think are cool. The blog will basically follow the process of finding, fixing, and driving each car and learning to live without all the unnecessary luxuries we pamper ourselves with in our modern cars.

The reason I'm posting this here is that I'd like to use a classic Z car for my first car on my blog. I've always like them since the first time I saw an old 240. My question is if there is anything specific I should know about these cars before I decide to buy one. I am partial to the 240 with the smaller bumpers, but feel a later 280 with fuel injection might be the more reliable choice. How reliable are these cars in stock form? Any help you experts can offer would be greatly appreciated.

As of right now, I haven't actually started the blog. Once I find the right Z I will get everything started. After the Z, I plan to do a Volvo P1800, a VW Karman Ghia, and then a BMW 2002.

Last edited by Turbo224; 08-21-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver! Always glad to see more locals. We have more than a handful of Utah Z guys.

As for driving a Z year round in Utah... cool for a blog, but Z's certainly don't like snow.

Have you checked KSL classifieds / cars? Usually several S30's & S130's for sale. Also, there's a guy on the FB group Utah BMW Enthusiasts who had mentioned to me just the other day that he's thinking about selling his restored 2002.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver! Always glad to see more locals. We have more than a handful of Utah Z guys.

As for driving a Z year round in Utah... cool for a blog, but Z's certainly don't like snow.

Have you checked KSL classifieds / cars? Usually several S30's & S130's for sale. Also, there's a guy on the FB group Utah BMW Enthusiasts who had mentioned to me just the other day that he's thinking about selling his restored 2002.
Yeah, I have been watching ksl for a couple weeks now looking for the right car. I don't want something that's been completely restored as I will be driving it a lot, but I want something that's stock, in good condition, and not in need to too much work to be road worthy. Driving the car in the snow will be an adventure, but utah is pretty good about clearing the roads quickly after a storm. Nothing a good set of snow tires can't handle. I look forward to meeting some of the utah Z guys once I find my car.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

can't hardly beat the in line six for a bulletproof engine. the L28 out of a zx (or turbo) can usually be installed in any s30-s130. better block and more horses. some folks like the carbureted models but since they haven't put out an engine with carbs since the 90's Fuel injectors seem to be winning the battle. I live in WA snow is rare but when it comes my z's seem to like going down the road sideways so daily driver might want to consider a Subaru WRX