280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

research confilicting

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 PM

research confilicting

ok well researching hp up grades left me confused.

what confuses me is the ecu what can it handle i read that it can handle bigger injectors and the maf sensing up to like 700hp

the reason i ask is the turbo shop wants to hybird my turbo so to speak bascially make it a super 60 i think thats what they said (sorry if all the termonolgy isnt correct my first turbo car) for around the same price as a stock rebuild somthing about having the 60 parts and having to order the stock parts anyway since ive been looking for a intercooler and i picked up a 60mm 240sx tb today i read that will work on the motor with a spacer is that correct

anyway got frined giving me greddy boost controlller dont know what kind yet had it for his honda he blew up and i read that second gen N/A rx7 injectors were a direct replacement my favorite salvage just happens to have 5 or 6 of those in it .

so here is the question How buch boost with the bigger injectors bigger tb and intercolled

i see stock at 10 psi then see pepole with all this work at 15 but read that the ecu will controll bigger injectors and that it will read a massive amount air before it limits

im just trying to figure out the most bang for my buck till i get to get inside the motor.

as far as serious stand alone i will let the guys at toyspeed figure that out from what i can tell ifi give them the green light on the turbo mods it shoudl boost up to 25psi at least while still being effecient

im at work or would have my little libary at home to give me a little more insight to turbo and there numbers and so on

so i guess can i run 15 psi with rx7 injectors on stock ecu?? that would make it simple enough or what can i run the stock ecu up to before it goes crazies and tries to make the car backwards or somthing lol

sorry hot rod guy just trying to decifer all the threads ive read on here dumb it down for me please

Last edited by olskool; 03-24-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: cause i can spell and oklahoma public schools suck
Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
The Good Twin

Word. We're here to help... let's try to get it all straightened out.

#1: 700hp for an L28 / L28ET is a dream (aka not reality).

#2: The stock 280zx turbo ecu is not programmed to adapt to air / fuel changed (and it cannot be reprogrammed). There are some things you can tweak to make it accept slight changes, but 440cc (RX7) injectors are not an option running a stock ecu.

#3: Ecu upgrades include: Z31T 300zx ecu & maf upgrade, Megasquirt, SDS, etc.

#4: If that turbo company will upgrade your turbo to a hybrid T3/T4 (is the technical term) for the same price as a regular rebuild, go for it. I imagine the "60" they threw out there is the .60 a/r? (double check w/ them).

#5: The "general" (and I use that word loosely) rule of thumb is that a motor should be able to sustain a 50% increase of hp on stock internals (safely).
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM

ahhh ok so 10psi anyway got it well i have them do the turbo upgrade anyway since well i want it soon as oposed to later i read the the maf would read up to 700 hp not that the car would do it.

anyway just trying to get the car running and one of the fastese imports in town, basically i dont want to get my a** handed to me by a honda that would pretty much ruin my day.

although bigger and better things are planned for now i just want to kind of stay ahead of the pack

so the 240sx tb just needs a spacer and bolts right on. i read that right before i went to the yard to today and low and behold there was one sitting there so i robbed it. guess i should have looked into that a little more but any way.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 PM
The Good Twin

Just remember... there will always be someone faster than you.

The 240sx 60mm tb is a worth while upgrade IF you bore out the intake manifold neck & upgrade the AFM (turbo with n/a guts) and couplers. Otherwise you are just moving the bottleneck in about an inch.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
The Evil Twin

If you really want 700hp, go for a late model Chevy V8, then twin turbo it.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Anally Challenged

There are no 440cc Rx7 injectors as far as I know. Supra maybe. Get a billet fuel rail and use any 11mm injector you want. And no you can not can run 15 psi with rx7 injectors on stock ecu. In fact skip the psi thing for now. That comes during the tuning stage when everything else is set up.
The 60 in Super 60 is the size of the compressor exducer. 60mm.
A super 60 will get you nowhere near 700hp. Hybrid turbo's come in many flavors. There are at least 6 different t4 compressor housings. You'll want at least a t4e.
700rwhp is pretty much a fantasy for an s130. Doesn't hurt to set your goals high though. You'll meet up w/ a fast honda about once every third blue moon
Old 03-25-2009, 05:21 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by mike88se
There are no 440cc Rx7 injectors as far as I know.
Yes... there are RX7 440cc-450cc injectors. I have a set. They are red tops:

Supra maybe.
The Supra injectors that most people use for the L motor are 310cc.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Anally Challenged

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Yes... there are RX7 440cc-450cc injectors. I have a set. They are red tops:

The Supra injectors that most people use for the L motor are 310cc.
Does being wrong bother you that much? Second gen RX7 injectors came in three flow ratings: 460cc, 550cc, and 680cc. Those red tops are 460cc. Most people w/ l motors use 310cc Supra injectors is kind of a non sequiter. I hope they aren't using stock ecu's.
I'm not following your posts trying to catch you being wrong and I don't want to trash this thread w/ a pissing contest...point is...olskool wants 700whp which we both agree is a pretty tall order. 310cc injectors (or 460cc injectors) aren't going to come close.
Whichever injectors you get olskool, be sure you get them cleaned and flowed. Shouldn't cost more than 100 bux or so and could save you an engine rebuild. I like this shop:
http://www.witchhunter.com/
Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM
The Good Twin

Does being wrong bother you that much?
Ah how cute.

Second gen RX7 injectors came in three flow ratings: 460cc, 550cc, and 680cc. Those red tops are 460cc.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_sizes...mazda_rx-7_has

Don't take wiki for absolute truth... but the RX7 injectors are commonly said to be 440cc-460cc.

Most people w/ l motors use 310cc Supra injectors is kind of a non sequiter.
Huh? Re-read my Supra injector statement. I didn't say "Most people w/ l motors use 310cc Supra injectors" I said: The Supra injectors that most people use for the L motor are 310cc.

point is...olskool wants 700whp
Again, reading comprehension... he simply stated he had read somewhere that a certain MAF can read up to 700hp.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Anally Challenged

...in defensive spin mode
Lame
That RX7 injector info didn't come from any wiki. It came from RX7 sites that I used to frequent. I owned a couple of 2nd gen RX7's. Can you just accept the fact that we're all fallible and it's okay to correct bad info regardless of who posts it? If I posted that a super 60 turbo was a super 60 because it had an a/r of .60 I would want you to correct me for obvious reasons. Look at the title of this thread...
Get over it
Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
The Good Twin

Get over it
lol... you're the **** one always trying to correct me. Maybe you have a man crush on me? It's okay to admit it...
Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 PM

wait wait wait when did i ever say i want 700hp i said that i had READ the the maf will sense air up to 700 or it would take at least that much to limit the maf in other words it didnt not need to be upgraded and that the stock ecu would control bigger injectors my though was if all that was true i would be able to get more than 10 psi (since that seems to be fuel limit) with changing injectors IF and only IF the stock ECU can read all that

i dont want 700 i want 300 maybe 400 but not over that i have had 700 hp cars before no thanks im to old for that anymore

ok to other posts now LOL i figured i would have to port somthing with 60mm tb and do i need a spacer or no anyway things are starting to fly with this car amazing alot of my friends are on board with project so if everyhting goes right in the next week or two she will have the new turbo, exhaust, CAI, the TB and boost controller and with in the next month a t-5 tranny swaped in it.

what kind of intercooler do you guys recomend ive seen so many on here i plan on after everyhting is said and done in the long run not running about 20 psi now thats along way off but i dont really want to do the intercooler twice so might as well make it ready now.

these are the free options i have

RX7
WRX
some kind of Iszuz
some kind of aftermarket out of a eclipse that was wrecked (needs pressure tested first)

the mitsu is huge the other are like the size of a laptop i guess

for a little money from a couple salvages friends work at
porsche (its also watercooled not sure i want to deal with that)
350Z
mazad speed
aftermarket for a vette (its kind of tiny but thick)

anyway i want to go with one of free ones of course the eclipse i should take out i dont really want to deal with it the eclipse turbo was like mine apparently and blowing oil through the intake so its real nasty i dont want to clean it

also were is everyones set up pics i need some ideas on were to run and mount everyhting
Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 PM

Ohh and to make completely clear right now im just getting it back on the road the real stuff be about 6 months to year off right now i want it turned up as much as i can with for lack of a better term bolt ons
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Anally Challenged

lol... you're the **** one always trying to correct me. Maybe you have a man crush on me? It's okay to admit it...
Trying to correct you? I have corrected you
I already gave you a peck on the cheek...here's another
Old 03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

ok lets calm down, take few breaths, look at what were fighting about, laugh about it and move on...

TO THE BITCH SLAPPING THREAD!!!!!

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...417#post254417

lol
Old 03-25-2009, 01:43 PM

well that didnt work guess i need to check my hosting site lol

Last edited by olskool; 03-25-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: cause im computer stupid
Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
The Evil Twin

Lame
That RX7 injector info didn't come from any wiki. It came from RX7 sites that I used to frequent.
Are you talking about info from other forum users or info from a Mazda factory service manual online?
I owned a couple of 2nd gen RX7's.
...nice, but has nothing to do with if you're correct or not. Even so, you're actually arguing about a difference of only 10 to 20cc

If its that big a deal to you that you pointed out an inaccuracy then get us some links please.

Also, I owned a couple of 1st generation 280ZXs and I don't know what cc their injectors are. Never cared.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM

what are we arguing about? how big of injectors he needs or what kind?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Anally Challenged

Originally Posted by Bleach
Are you talking about info from other forum users or info from a Mazda factory service manual online?

...nice, but has nothing to do with if you're correct or not. Even so, you're actually arguing about a difference of only 10 to 20cc

If its that big a deal to you that you pointed out an inaccuracy then get us some links please.

Also, I owned a couple of 1st generation 280ZXs and I don't know what cc their injectors are. Never cared.
You know it's great that you guys stick up for each other but what's the point if you're wrong. You want to rehash this since you and pick are selectively reading what is posted?
#1: 700hp for an L28 / L28ET is a dream (aka not reality).
Who said that?
And then he said the "super" in Super 60 was the a/r. That is just funny.
Then he says 2nd gen RX7 injectors are 440cc. Then he changed it to 440-450cc because he "has some." They are 460cc. Not a big deal to you maybe but still incorrect and to some of us 20cc difference w/ 6 injectors is important. And look at the z31 CHTS thread. Those two guys still don't acknowledge that the CHTS and a coolant temp sender are entirely different parts or that a CTS would nohow noway cause the problems the OP had. The topic of the thread is "research conflicting" or some such. So we should further add to this guy's confusion? There's a very good reason that the majority of posts here are made by you, nismopick and a couple of others. The reason is that this board is lame and it's lame because you, the mods, allow it to be. I don't have a problem with your board being lame. You guys can spend your server money and call this chat board a tech forum if you like but giving out bad information goes beyond lame. If the posters here are relying on you, nismopick, and the others to help them repair or modify their cars they are asking for trouble.
Tell you what, I'll voluntarily leave this board. I don't want to be a party to this nonsense.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
The Good Twin

ah... shucks! And your new title was so fitting!!!

ZDriver will never be the same after this bad attitude leaves... what will we do?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
The Good Twin

Anyway... now that that's over with, we can get back on topic...

olskool, were you trying to post a pic? www.photobucket.com is a good free hosting site.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 AM

Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ lol... good save.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:00 AM

there it is lol anyway back on topic please the arguing is amusing though but not that helpful

if im correct with other comp controlled cars i have had and messed with (non of them turbo) the cc rating on t he injector is the potential max flow not what they flow all the time

obvislouy a injector doesnt flow max at low rpms neither does car the flow of the injector is controlled by the ecu if it can control it so the cc of the injector only matters when you max it out you can put bigger injectors that doesnt mean its flowing max all the time so 10 or 20 cc descripancy wouldnt really be that big of deal

kind of like jetting a carb i can jet the living hell out of carb but that doesnt mean the 750cfm carb i jeted to 800 is putting 800 in the engine at all times just at WOT

im not stupid when it comes to motors just havent had much practice with the ecu controlled ones i like carbs there simple and i dont need a laptop to do somthing

again i read that the ecu could controll bigger injectors i was just wondering of that was true and if so how far can you push the stock ecu. but apparently that was some miss information in its self so no bigg deal

no need to flame each other over it, i am asking some general questions som things i know like a stand alone will be needed for some real hp but so will forged internals and host of other things that will come later

like i said before just want to turn up as much as i can with stock ecu then get work on suspension and body and then hopefuly back to tearing the engine out going all the way

by the way my turbo is going to be a t/3 t/4 hybird with .63 wheel suposed to support up to 600 hp so i think it will be fine

how there getting that out my old one i dont know but thats why they do it for a living its good to frineds in the industry around here let me tell you
Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM
The Evil Twin

You know it's great that you guys stick up for each other but what's the point if you're wrong.
I'm just looking for the correct info sir. I don't see how that has anything to do with a CHTS or your rant about this forum being lame.

Quick Reply: research confilicting