240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

I have a crappy car, I need some advice.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:46 PM

I have a crappy car, I need some advice.

Hey guys,
I just replaced the master & slave cylinders for '78 and now I am having some engine difficulties. When I start her I have to give her some gas or she will conk out. I need to keep giving her gas to get her to warm up. Once she warms up she is idling rough (sounds like missing maybe) and I am getting excessive smoke from the exhaust. When I give her gas, the engine only barely revs. I am going to check the plugs later today, is there anything I need to look into? I replaced all the injectors as well several months ago. Please advise.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:32 PM

if you're putting a lot of smoke out of the exhaust i don't think that has anything to do with your fuel system. sounds more like your burning oil or maybe a head gasket leak. i could be wrong though.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:47 PM

I don't think I am burning oil, I think it is either the fuel filter or the ignition system. I was just checking to see what everyone else thought. I am not sure how old the plugs are, and I want to change them out. I have to check my Chilton's, I have never done this before, do I need a space measure or something like that??
Old 02-07-2004, 07:48 PM
The Evil Twin

...but it could also be another part of the fuel injection system that is causing the engine to run too rich or too lean.
The fuel pressure regulator can easily get stuck and cause this condition; either lean or rich. There is also the head temp sensor, air flow meter. I think the fuel pressure is the most common to really go bad.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:27 PM

I agree with Bleachzee, but . . .

when you were messing with the brake cylinder, did you unplug the vacum hose to the brake booster, or disturb it in any fashion?

If this line has a vacum leak, it will cause your engine problems.

If you have good vacum, check out your Air Flow Meter, Throttle positioning switch, - items Bleachzee states. Could also be fuel filter plugged, or even weak fuel pump, or a loose sensor wire on the intake manifold or water temperature sender.

I suggest check the engine area where you been working, to see if you have anything loose. Finally, is your air filter plugged, or have you been buying bad gas anywhere?

Speed

Enjoy the Ride!
Old 03-06-2004, 08:43 AM

Hey Peeps,
Thanks for the assistance. I finally got it started, and I took it to my mechanic to make sure it was nothing serious. He said something to the effect of oil being on the plugs and this causing the popping sound. It seems to be running fine now. Thanks for the advice.